Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
VMAX

Name: VMAX
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeemu View Post
Nice parts. I try my Merc that kind spool up flange but i made it on turbinehousing. Try to got it work but turbo spools 1000rpm later so forgot whole thing maybe made something really frong.
Whaaaaaaaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused View Post
Looking good. Weren't you running a Hamilton head? Are you still running it if so?
Yes I am running hamiltons new designed head and cam.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
crackerman

Name: crackerman
Member`s Gallery
Google translate ruined jeemu's post.

Looks good max, keep it up!

Old 03-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #23
TxCTD0159

Name: TxCTD0159
Title: MOOSE POWAA!!!
Member`s Gallery
looks like fun Max! I love watchin that thing scream in Baytown. On a side note ive always wanted to run a spool flange but the reviews are all over the place, and like stated before what happens when one fatigues after a while and fails... YIKES!
600cc P7100 @ 26*, Custom Cam, Weston's 7x13s, BW 66/74, ARP Studs, #110 Springs, A1000

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #24
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Good luck! Don't be surprised if it takes a while to dial in. Did you re-stall the converter?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
VMAX

Member`s Gallery
The convertor basically has a "stock stall" I am not sure what the rpm is at but will know shortly. I also have a dedicated solenoid for spool up.

How much are we dialing in here? I would think compunds would take more time to tune in right. Get boost where we want it, get drive manageable, play with adjustable timing gear... If I need more ummmpppppfffffff off the line I have 2 adjustable stages of nitrous? Not saying your not right just trying to understand where you are coming from.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM   #26
12vriviera

Name: 12vriviera
Title: That Guy with that car
Member`s Gallery
I bet He is talking about that spool flange and driveability..
I am a pushover
https://www.facebook.com/#!/24VRIVIERA

Old 03-05-2013, 07:44 AM   #27
VMAX

Member`s Gallery
Maybe, driveability is not much of a concern anymore if we are gonna try and start playing with the big boys. The guys I am working with are wanting to do just that. It will be driveable enough to take it to the carshow or ride in a parade that is all I care about.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #28
wideopen

Name: wideopen
Title: Slum Lord
Member`s Gallery
Sexy!

Hellmann Performance ~ Keating Machine ~ Engineered Diesel ~ Mumau Diesel ~ GoGo Diesel ~ Hamilton Cams ~ Diesel Innovations ~ Grand Rock Exhaust ~ Smarty

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Molon labe
#FTCS

Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #29
VMAX

Member`s Gallery
Going back in time a little bit. Pulling the old motor. Compression was way too low and block had a crack in it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Porting and polishing another hamilton head. I swear this is the last head I will do myself lol.

Intake cut off.

Some of the port work.

more

more

Right when I though I was gonna start porting again to my surprise the steed manifold needs no porting at all! Gasket matched perfectly.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #30
Bponci

Name: Bponci
Title: rookie
Member`s Gallery
I have always loved your truck. Keep up the good work! Looks great!
Daughter with a badass 1st gen 12mm VE 11.64@117mph

Old 03-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #31
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCTD0159 View Post
On a side note ive always wanted to run a spool flange but the reviews are all over the place, and like stated before what happens when one fatigues after a while and fails... YIKES!
Failures typically come from user error unfortunately, the center divider is prone to absorb heat and crack, as all cast iron or ductile iron. We are working on making an inconel insert for the divider which will make the flange serviceable, and as always we will update all existing pieces at no cost.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #32
JQmile

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMAX View Post
The convertor basically has a "stock stall" I am not sure what the rpm is at but will know shortly. I also have a dedicated solenoid for spool up.

How much are we dialing in here? I would think compunds would take more time to tune in right. Get boost where we want it, get drive manageable, play with adjustable timing gear... If I need more ummmpppppfffffff off the line I have 2 adjustable stages of nitrous? Not saying your not right just trying to understand where you are coming from.
Most of the big singles I have seen have to leave the line on fire (lots of boost) to stay lit without falling under the charger, but if you have a stock stall and some nitrous, you should be ok. Remember it is very easy to over accelerate a big single and turn it into shrapnel. Even if you stay on the charger, going from 10psi to 60psi or whatevever very quickly can make it go boom. I just don't like big singles for drag racing, but it sounds like you're doing all you can in the planning stages to make it work.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #33
VMAX

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
Most of the big singles I have seen have to leave the line on fire (lots of boost) to stay lit without falling under the charger, but if you have a stock stall and some nitrous, you should be ok. Remember it is very easy to over accelerate a big single and turn it into shrapnel. Even if you stay on the charger, going from 10psi to 60psi or whatevever very quickly can make it go boom. I just don't like big singles for drag racing, but it sounds like you're doing all you can in the planning stages to make it work.
Thanks for the input, I am in no way sold on the single conept yet but if I can get one to work right it sure would be easy to maintain, less weight and a much more efficent setup. How fast has cole, bully dog and some of the those prostock guys gone on a single? I also like the idea of carrying a spare charger that I can put on in 15 minutes. At world finals I blew on of my compunds and "if" i had a spare turbo the amount of time it would have took to change it would have put me out of the race under normal circumstances.

Last edited by VMAX; 03-05-2013 at 06:40 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #34
JQmile

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the input, I am in no way sold on the single conept yet but if I can get one to work right it sure would be easy to maintain, less weight and a much more efficent setup. How fast has cole, bully dog and some of the those prostock guys gone on a single? I also like the idea of carrying a spare charger that I can put on in 15 minutes. At world finals I blew on of my compunds and "if" i had a spare turbo the amount of time it would have took to change it would have put me out of the race under normal circumstances.
Those are probably a couple of the hardest running single trucks I can think of. I know Bullydog has a lot of airflow through the engine and tries to keep boost low (or they did the last time I talked to them) and Cole runs a really loose converter. Both run mid 9s. Maybe they'll chime in on any other secrets.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #35
TxCTD0159

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Failures typically come from user error unfortunately, the center divider is prone to absorb heat and crack, as all cast iron or ductile iron. We are working on making an inconel insert for the divider which will make the flange serviceable, and as always we will update all existing pieces at no cost.
Sounds sweet Weston thanks for the clarification! Be sure and post when you finalize the new design I wanna be on the list for one, DD VPs are a bother to drive in public sometimes with larger singles and sticks. Im sure it would benefit Max a great deal though trying to spool/launching at the line.
600cc P7100 @ 26*, Custom Cam, Weston's 7x13s, BW 66/74, ARP Studs, #110 Springs, A1000

Last edited by TxCTD0159; 03-05-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #36
ahale2772

Name: ahale2772
Member`s Gallery
VMAX, this is kind of off the subject, but what is your opinion on the head's from Zach? why the switch to a new one?

Old 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #37
Smokem

Name: Smokem
Title: Turbler
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxCTD0159 View Post
Sounds sweet Weston thanks for the clarification! Be sure and post when you finalize the new design I wanna be on the list for one, DD VPs are a bother to drive in public sometimes with larger singles and sticks. Im sure it would benefit Max a great deal though trying to spool/launching at the line.
I've considered scrapping the whole deal a time or two due to lack of interest, but I realize how beneficial it can be, so we will continue.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:06 AM   #38
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

Interesting intake port on those new Hamilton heads, dual swirl ramps.
OEM 12v Block

Old 03-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #39
TxCTD0159

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
I've considered scrapping the whole deal a time or two due to lack of interest, but I realize how beneficial it can be, so we will continue.
Well all I gotta say is I appluad your efforts keep on it!

Old 03-06-2013, 05:46 AM   #40
Knoberman

Name: Knoberman
Title: swapping
Member`s Gallery
Lovin it!
I went to a Disney movie the other day and almost saw a mermaid tit.

Closed Thread