Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:06 AM   #21
madmikeismad

Name: madmikeismad
Title: So mad
Member`s Gallery
That is going to be one sexy beech.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:33 AM   #22
devon lock

Name: devon lock
Title: 12 valve
Member`s Gallery
Truck looks great!!!

As for the tires, I don't do burnouts, it was my front tires wearing out and probably more from the track than on the street. As for cruising around on evenings and weekends they are fine, but any regular street use I would recommend a spare set of tires.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:24 AM   #23
jlibert

Name: jlibert
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
this looks like a great build.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:59 AM   #24
WUnderwood

Name: WUnderwood
Title: CompD Minion
Member`s Gallery
Goes without saying, but awesome work so far!

Click the image to open in full size.

RIP BFD99, jponder, and Forrest Nearing

Old 03-31-2014, 04:41 AM   #25
Cummins12Club

Name: Cummins12Club
Title: Happy Dinosaur
Member`s Gallery
Thanks guys!

Old 03-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #26
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
1stgensleeper, when I first started looking at DOT slicks, the guy at M&H told me that from the feed back he got form customers the longest a set ever lasted on the street was 2500 miles and I'm sure this was in a much lighter car. I would assume these mickeys are the same.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:43 PM   #27
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Tonight I went through and pulled out absolutely every unecessary item from the frame and underbody. I ended up with a pile like this. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size. I know it doesn't look like much but all this weighed exactly 29lbs. I am trying to eliminate all parts not needed to save as many pounds as I can, the goal is to get it down to 5000lbs empty race weight and 52-5250 with me in it. I'm going to go ahead and finish cleaning up the inside of the frame from the firewall forward so I can set the mock up engine in. With this body and frame being from a half ton gas truck I want to make sure there are no surprises come actual reassembly. This will also allow me to check suspension and oil pan clearances along with exhaust manifold and intake plenum mock ups. I'd like to take the time to per fit and build everything now so we aren't trying to fabricate or adjust things around fresh paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM   #28
SmokingOreo

Name: SmokingOreo
Title: Wanting to go fast
Member`s Gallery
Great looking truck! Should be even nicer when done
The Arthur Edition -07 Silverado RCLB LBZ 4in exhaust,7in stack,Fass 150,DVR Fuel sump,Fuel Filter Delete,PCV Reroute,CTS Monitor,Dropped 3ins,20x10s Fuels on Nettos,Color Match & Roll Pan....The parts begin to pile

Old 04-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #29
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokingOreo View Post
Great looking truck! Should be even nicer when done
Thank you, that's the goal.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #30
dvst8r

Name: dvst8r
Title: Unobtainium
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12Club View Post
Tonight I went through and pulled out absolutely every unnecessary item from the frame and underbody...
This is the way to get light, start at the front and work your way back. Anything unneeded goes, anything needed find a way to shave some weight. Doesn't take long for even ounces to add up. We were shooting for 700lbs weight loss and were wondering if how we would ever get there and ended up closer to 1100lbs, and probably could find more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
If i had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if i had some eggs.

Old 04-02-2014, 04:43 AM   #31
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8r View Post
This is the way to get light, start at the front and work your way back. Anything unneeded goes, anything needed find a way to shave some weight. Doesn't take long for even ounces to add up. We were shooting for 700lbs weight loss and were wondering if how we would ever get there and ended up closer to 1100lbs, and probably could find more.
I'm shooting for around 800lb loss atleas, i think it's a feasible number. I was told gutting an 8 foot bed alone saves 200lbs. I believe it, when I scrapped my old bed it weighed 450lbs and by gutting the bed to pretty much just bed sides and wheel houses that would have to be close to half the weight lost right there.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #32
5.9 Cummins Fan

Name: 5.9 Cummins Fan
Title: Gearhead
Member`s Gallery
Get a good hole saw set and cut out where it is feasible, good way to loose a ton of weight.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:57 PM   #33
scat

Name: scat
Title: .
Member`s Gallery
Ditch all the leaf springs and go 4 link... Shaved almost 300lbs from mine...

Old 04-02-2014, 02:01 PM   #34
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scat View Post
Ditch all the leaf springs and go 4 link... Shaved almost 300lbs from mine...
Planning on back halving and going ladder bar in the rear, undecided on 4 link or ladder bar for the front yet.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
I've been pretty busy and haven't been able to make much time for progess but I did trade my big heavy np205 transfer case off for this 241 out of a 1st gen Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. I got lucky and found this out of an 89-93 so I don't have to mess with flipping it and the oil pick up. I didn't get to weigh my 205 but I know it was a solid 150lbs, I've been told I saved about 75lbs by going to this 241.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #36
Cnp22

Name: Cnp22
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Nice! Been thinking about going back to a first gen but already to far along on the 95.

2007 tbss grocery getter...

Old 04-07-2014, 02:23 PM   #37
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
I can see why everyone builds 2nd gens, the frames are stronger and your already basically 4 linked up front.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #38
Cummins12Club

Member`s Gallery
Spent a little time on the truck tonight and got the mock up engine in. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size. the gasser engine crossmember adapted right too the Diesel engine mounts, with a little finessing I've got the engine pretty dang close to how it will set in the bay with the transmission bolted up. I've got the back of the block resting on a jack stand to duplicate the exact height with transmission bolted up. Before Tim was worried about the front bars locations interfering with the turbo/turbo placement but once we got the engine in place there appears to be plenty of room for just about any turbo or turbos configuration. After I convinced myself the engine was as close to exact placement as possible I slapped the valve covers on and latched the hood to start checking clearances. This may seem a little anal but with this being a gas frame/ body I wanted to ensure there were no differences or issues with clearance. Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size. I was surprised at how much clearance I have from the top of the valve cover to the underside of the hood. I don't forsee I'll run into any height issues with the intake plenum or turbo/manifold as long as I stay a few inches or lower above the valve covers. My turbo is supost to ship out Friday so hopefully next week I can start mocking up where I want it before it goes on Tim's truck for TS.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:22 PM   #39
oldestof11

Name: oldestof11
Title: Drag racer
Member`s Gallery
Not to throw a wrench in this.

You're this far torn apart. At this point it might be easy and very beneficial to set the engine back. You'll need to build a dog house and it'd be a b!+ch to do anything with the engine while it sets in the truck. However, it'll help with weight distribution.

Sent via USPS 2 weeks ago

Old 04-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #40
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Cummins12Club, I love it. Keep at it. My son and I frothed over your truck in the diesel power mag for days.

Just my, but while you are at this stage in the build and with the very loose rules to presently govern pro street class, back 'dat big hunk of ballast to at least the #1 injector at the center line of the front axle.

Get you a nice 9" grinder and go to work on the frame. Get yourself in a good rhythm and grind that wall thickness of the frame down to about 1/2 of what it is now. Finish off with a flapper wheel for a nice finish.

Go ahead and run those rear down bars out the back window and down to your new 2x3x.085 narrowed frame rails. Oh yea, you have switched to a short bed by now. lol You will also need to run an additional x brace along with those down bars.

Then, 3-link that front end with set of coil overs. I also forgot to mention, by this time you have dropped so much weight you can switch to a dana 44 out of a scout with the rac'n in the dirt aluminum hubs and brakes and a 9" is all you'll need out back. If ya want to go that extra mile, you can sling that 44 up in a big lathe and cut a little wall thickness out of the tubes as well as grinding the crap out of the exterior of the carrier and the knuckles. You can also, by now, run a nice light set of front runners or similar 'cause the front wont be doing much when it's 1.5' in the air.

Then, pull that 241 apart and have the boys at FTI build you a through shaft for high range 4x4 only and drop a little over 20lbs off 'er plus a ton of parasitic loss from the planetarys. You have lock in hubs already so you can unlock one of them for pit driving.

Remember to allow enough clearance for a nice set of scoops 'cause you'll be wanting to run some dirt/sand drags with 'er as well.

By this time, you are down around 3500lbs and will have the ability to add the 1000lbs of ballast where you need it.

HEY, WAKEUP!!!!!!!!!

Yaaawwwwn, oh... so sorry. I was just dreaming about the best pro-street 1st gen I've ever seen.

I've had way to much

Last edited by Bodacious; 04-07-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Closed Thread