Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Vendor Row > Sponsor Forums > Grand Rock Exhaust
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Grand Rock Exhaust Home of POWERFLOW exhaust systems and Complete Stack Kits!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:13 AM   #21
BFD99

Name: BFD99
Title: The Stig
Member`s Gallery
did someone say carbon fibers!?! IM IN!

Old 09-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #22
DCSpecial

Name: DCSpecial
Title: Mr. Sinister
Member`s Gallery
I did just find out that their are powders available for high heat applications....up to 1000*
2007 F-350 6.0 4x4 SC LWB, Lightly Modded
Special Thanks to: TS Performance, DPPI, Power Slot, Southern Polyurethanes Inc, Silverline Exhaust, Dick Cepek Tires.
Rest of the Fleet: 99 F-450, 00 F-450, 01 F-350, 02 F-350, 02 F-550, 04 F-450, 06 F-450

Old 06-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #23
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
i want this coating
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AFS-9...QQcmdZViewItem
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 06-18-2007, 05:34 PM   #24
TooMuchBoost

Name: TooMuchBoost
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
The powder coating industry has seen a respectable amount of growth over the last few years which has led to new coating manufacturers and new retail coaters jumping in to get their piece of the bigger pie.

Be very cautious on who you trust with your toys whether you have a typical or non-typical application like this one.

Just my .02

Carry on.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #25
RascalMafia

Name: RascalMafia
Title: heyyyyyyy girrrrrrrl
Member`s Gallery
does southernpoly do any high reflective black?
also can powdercoating be "masked" like paint? I have an idea for a set of rims...
'01 F350 7.3 / ZF6

Old 06-18-2007, 05:46 PM   #26
Pangela

Name: Pangela
Title: Not here.
Member`s Gallery
If someone knows about these or has a confirmed theory on what holds up, let me know. I do want black stacks for my truck and I've been debating on black chrome versus powder coating, etc. It's just a matter of time, not IF I get them. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:03 PM   #27
TooMuchBoost

Name: TooMuchBoost
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelmecummin
does southernpoly do any high reflective black?
also can powdercoating be "masked" like paint? I have an idea for a set of rims...
If you are thinking of a traditional base/clear system the answer would be yes and the Blackend Mustang in my sig is our coatings from the bare metal up.

Base/clear can handle engine block type heat but not exhaust type heat.

http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/Photos/yearone.jpg

Old 06-18-2007, 06:29 PM   #28
Ultimate Diesel

Name: Ultimate Diesel
Title: www.UDPdiesel.com
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pangela
If someone knows about these or has a confirmed theory on what holds up, let me know. I do want black stacks for my truck and I've been debating on black chrome versus powder coating, etc. It's just a matter of time, not IF I get them. Thanks.
I think black would go well with your theme. Everything is black and green, then Chrome Stacks?? Nah, I would stay with the black!

Just my

Ultimate Diesel Performance.

www.UDPdiesel.com

Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #29
crzycowboy

Name: crzycowboy
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Well you have two choices. You can buy Silver line stack system, which you can get with a Black Stainless Steel stacks. It's a nice system. Or if you know of any powder coaters, you can purchase one of our plain stacks through a distributor, and have your powder coater finish the stack for you. I know that a few people have done this, and so far so good. There is 1000* powder coating, but not all powder coaters do this. One other thing I've learned, is to make sure they prep the stack correctly. Hope this helped!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:40 PM   #30
dalenw

Name: dalenw
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
http://www.jet-hot.com/Pages/coatings.html

These guys do pretty good work and they stand behind there coatings, especially the jet hot 2000(you have other issues if your burning it off). To make it worth it price wise you should have as much done as you want. If you try to do piece by piece ( stacks, turbos, etc) it gets really spendy. IMHO, when done right, powder coating still looks better.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #31
Pangela

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycowboy
Well you have two choices. You can buy Silver line stack system, which you can get with a Black Stainless Steel stacks. It's a nice system. Or if you know of any powder coaters, you can purchase one of our plain stacks through a distributor, and have your powder coater finish the stack for you. I know that a few people have done this, and so far so good. There is 1000* powder coating, but not all powder coaters do this. One other thing I've learned, is to make sure they prep the stack correctly. Hope this helped!

Thanks that did help actually. What does something like the Silver Line Stack System run? 6" mitre cut stacks. And is the black stainless a glossy? or what does that look like.

Stack prep sounds like a good idea. I don't want black paint chips flying off...
And as to your knowledge... the 1000* powder coating, has held up to this point, correct?

Or, I've seen black chrome, and I do like the look. Do you carry these or know who might?

Old 06-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #32
crzycowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thanks that did help actually. What does something like the Silver Line Stack System run? 6" mitre cut stacks. And is the black stainless a glossy? or what does that look like.

Stack prep sounds like a good idea. I don't want black paint chips flying off...
And as to your knowledge... the 1000* powder coating, has held up to this point, correct?

Or, I've seen black chrome, and I do like the look. Do you carry these or know who might?
I have no clue how much silver line exhaust is.... I'm with Grand Rock...and we make our own exhaust... Yeah Stack prep is important for that reason, plus you dont want spots on it that looks like it boiled off. (that was the discription given to me once) and yes it has held up. I have a distributor in California that has a set of 6" miters powder coated black.

I don't think you've seen black chrome stacks. Most likely a smoked stainles, like the ones silverline offers. If they were black chrome, I'd like the name of the plating company that did it. I have looked for a long time for a plating company to plate Black Chrome on exhaust tubing. I always get the same answer "It will not hold up to the heat" With the stacks getting over 500* at times, depending on your driving style, the black chrome will just start to turn funky brown colors. Or the best thing to do, which I forgot to mention, was mentioned above, have someone ceramic coat the stacks in black. I'm sure they probably have different lusters you can choose from.

Old 06-19-2007, 06:23 PM   #33
9 LIVES

Name: 9 LIVES
Title: Demolition Expert
Member`s Gallery
I have some powder coated black stacks for sale . I got a buddy who can build carbon fiber ones if needed. We put a 4bt cummins in his 1989 Toyota 4X4 pickup for rock crawling & mudding....he built a carbon fiber hood stack! so im sure a longer stack could be done.

Old 06-20-2007, 12:56 AM   #34
DrSpeed

Name: DrSpeed
Title: Unregistered User
Member`s Gallery
Josh,

They'll work with pre-07 trucks, as they don't have the emissions equipment on them that require regens, which have EGTs upwards of 1400*F.

Me, I'd take a set...=)

DK Diesel • Autometer • South Bend Clutch • One Up Offroad • Dynomite Diesel • Nitrous Express • Toyo Tires • CompuSTAR • Dynatrac • FASS • BD Diesel • AMP Research • Painless Performance • Titan Tanks • Fluidampr • Grand Rock Exhaust

Old 06-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #35
Pangela

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzycowboy
I have no clue how much silver line exhaust is.... I'm with Grand Rock...and we make our own exhaust... Yeah Stack prep is important for that reason, plus you dont want spots on it that looks like it boiled off. (that was the discription given to me once) and yes it has held up. I have a distributor in California that has a set of 6" miters powder coated black.

I don't think you've seen black chrome stacks. Most likely a smoked stainles, like the ones silverline offers. If they were black chrome, I'd like the name of the plating company that did it. I have looked for a long time for a plating company to plate Black Chrome on exhaust tubing. I always get the same answer "It will not hold up to the heat" With the stacks getting over 500* at times, depending on your driving style, the black chrome will just start to turn funky brown colors. Or the best thing to do, which I forgot to mention, was mentioned above, have someone ceramic coat the stacks in black. I'm sure they probably have different lusters you can choose from.

No, I didn't mean I've seen black chrome stacks lol, I've just seen black chrome. And I liked it. I wanted it in stacks lol. I saw it at my friends exhaust shop, on some exhaust tip sitting on a shelf lol.

I definitely don't want brown chunks . But it will probably be a while before I get this done anyway.

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #36
edgerat

Name: edgerat
Member`s Gallery
you could buy the stacks from Grand Rocks distributors and I have a chromer that I use that is in California that does a flippin' sweet black chrome. Its not much more than triple-show chrome

Old 07-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #37
TJSHOTROD

Name: TJSHOTROD
Member`s Gallery
[QUOTE=SuperDave4x4]Yeah I've seen it before. Some stacks like that would be killer! Some 7" miter cuts............ [/QUOT

x2 please

Old 07-20-2007, 12:37 AM   #38
TJSHOTROD

Name: TJSHOTROD
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat
you could buy the stacks from Grand Rocks distributors and I have a chromer that I use that is in California that does a flippin' sweet black chrome. Its not much more than triple-show chrome
Care to share

Old 07-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #39
crzycowboy

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerat
Really? I'd like to get his number and see some of their work. Every plater I've ever talked to said they will not black chrome exhaust pipes. If what you're sayin' is true, then I'd like to talk with them about doing a few "projects" for us.... If they do plate black chrome on exhaust pipes, make sure they have some sort of warrenty...I've been told it will turn ugly colors at high heat. Keep us posted if you do get a set black chromed though! I'd love to see em.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 AM   #40
BigUgly

Name: BigUgly
Title: 10-51
Member`s Gallery
Okay guys, quick question...
I'm hoping to get black stacks semi-soon (gotta get the truck first!). I was following this thread and thinking about it. The other day in the shed, i ran across a can of spraypaint left over from an old project. It's a rustolium product for high heats, 1600*F intended for grills and stoves and the like. The one I have is in flat grey and has held up to the splatter guard on the stove top for years. Would this work in a black for bare or alumanized stacks?
Thanks;
Josiah

Closed Thread