which front cover?

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
Can anyone point me in the right direction for a front cover that has a large opening for gear adjustment, and will accept stock and aftermarket dampers without pulley and belt modifications?

I have the JD diesel one. It fits stock balancer and belt fine.

Easy to adjust timing. I'd buy the same again.

the keating stuff is some serious bling. too much for my dirty engine bay.
looks like a smaller opening for the gear on the keating cover. is there enough room to work with the adjustable gear? I figured a larger opening would allow me to put a magnet under the thing to catch any bolts I drop.
EDIT: they have another model for a bit more $$ that has a really large opening for the gear. BUT it requires belt and pulley mods.
Crazy Carl has one from ZRM that will probably work:
Adjustable Front Timing Gear Cover

Last edited:
I’ve had the schieds and JDs cover. Schieds has a small o ring on the access cover that always leaks oil, the JD seemed to be better quality imo. I have no experience with the Keating but I didn’t like the 4 bolts because it’s hard enough keeping it sealed with 6.

got a link to the JD front cover? My google-fu is too weak to find it. Get random hits like the scheid cover, and john deere stuffs.

edit: actually just the company name is good, unless theyre a sponsor on here also.

I’ve had a handful of different ones and used several on customer builds. Keating gets my business for a few reasons. I usually opt for the large access cover. $.02

Back