turbo oil drain line thread size

smoken02

I would like to get rid of the hard stock oil line, because its a pain and never lines up right. I would like to thread a fitting in the turbo and the engine block and just use a braided line. Anyone know the thread size for these? Or maybe have made your own drain line so i have an idea.

Ive never seen a threaded oil drain, but you can probably make or find an adapter for it. Like the feed adapters, just use it for the drain.

Ive never seen a threaded oil drain, but you can probably make or find an adapter for it. Like the feed adapters, just use it for the drain.

Ok, for some reason I was thinking that the oil return hole on the bottom of the turbo was threaded. Maybe I'll just mill my own flange and put an NPT in the middle for a fitting. Would a 1/2" line be big enough?

Awesome, thanks guys for the links. Any reason the aluminum wouldnt hold up? I was thinking about making one using Stainless, but it would be alot easier just to buy one.

Ok, for some reason I was thinking that the oil return hole on the bottom of the turbo was threaded. Maybe I'll just mill my own flange and put an NPT in the middle for a fitting. Would a 1/2" line be big enough?

Stock uses a 7/8" hose and nipple in the block.

Awesome, thanks guys for the links. Any reason the aluminum wouldnt hold up? I was thinking about making one using Stainless, but it would be alot easier just to buy one.

Before you rig something that is a real pita down the road, get a long flexible Cummins turbo drain tube, it will bolt in place of your stock tube, what's really cool is that it can be reshaped later to reach the top charger on a twin setup.

It's really an inexpensive part (probably less than $75 shipping included) considering your trip to town and time to fab something crazy. Jeff@Mumau Diesel has 'em in stock!

So if I buy the flexible cummins hose I won't have to buy anything else? The reason I am doing this is because my wastegate arm hits the hard return tube. Its also a super pain to remove and install that tube. I get tired of trying to bend it every time I swap turbos.

So if I buy the flexible cummins hose I won't have to buy anything else? The reason I am doing this is because my wastegate arm hits the hard return tube. Its also a super pain to remove and install that tube. I get tired of trying to bend it every time I swap turbos.

Your first question, correct. The flexible tube is thinner than the original tube, it's also straight for about an inch where it exits the turbo drain area, after that straight section it's corrugated looking and can be easily flexed to whatever curve/s you desire, the end that goes into the engine block has 2 grooves with o-rings in them that seal the connection. The short piece of hard pipe (where the rubber hose is clamped to) must be removed from the engine block to install the flexible drain.

Be sure you get the longer flexible drain tube, the CR engines come factory with a shorter version, the shorter version will not be long enough for a 2nd gen truck.

Before you rig something that is a real pita down the road, get a long flexible Cummins turbo drain tube, it will bolt in place of your stock tube, what's really cool is that it can be reshaped later to reach the top charger on a twin setup.

It's really an inexpensive part (probably less than $75 shipping included) considering your trip to town and time to fab something crazy. Jeff@Mumau Diesel has 'em in stock!

The long flexible cummins tube is 21 inches long. That seems really long. Is this the one you are refering to? The other tube that Mumau had was the stock 3rd gen.

The long flexible cummins tube is 21 inches long. That seems really long. Is this the one you are refering to? The other tube that Mumau had was the stock 3rd gen.

Yes you want the 21" piece, it is a little long but it's flexible so it can be easily bent to fit.

Back