Reasonable Scan tool

Inbred Inline

Bastard child builder
Looking for opinions on a REASONABLE scan tool for mostly auto, diesel pickups especially and some HD stuff would be helpful at work. (ISX, ISM, Series 60) Have looked at Autel a little and a few used Snapons on fleabay but looking for some experience on this and what options would do light duty AND HD if anything....... Not a professional mechanic by trade but work on enough stuff to own something as long as its not thousands and thousands....

Have been using a EFI v2 on my GM stuff for awhile but imagine my bitter disappointment to find it has ZERO bidirectional function on my new LML :bs:

We have a Mac Mentor Touch Scout that we use. Has the full capabilities of the big scan tools as well has HD capability (with an upcharge of course) for a much more reasonable price than the other guys. If I remember right it was around $2k new plus the HD stuff. Personally I love it. It has code tips/assist for most codes and it has some electrical diagrams built in. We use it every day in our shop and have not had an issue with it. For the price ya can't go wrong. The only thing it doesnt do is flash modules, which I have EFI Live/EZ Lynk for the Ram/GM/Ford stuff and have run into that request so little that I just take the vehicle to the dealer and hang out for a half hour while they do it.

Dave, how expensive was the HD stuff to add to the Mentor? I have so many people just needing me to read codes on heavy trucks/equipment. I could make a killing just scanning/clearing them.

You can buy an autel heavy duty code reader for like $300 IIRC.

We just purchased one of the Autel handhelds for $3000 and it is tits. My buddy has a new MAC scanner he wishes he never purchased. It is so phukkin slow.

From what I’ve found you need a Autel 906CV to do HD stuff and it’s like $2k? Is there a cheaper one just to pull codes? Personally I’d need the bidirectional capability at least for pickups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back