Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #21
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by metchosin joe View Post
The lilbb is what I’ll do. I’d swap it out for he351 for ease of use but the exhaust brake is one of the big reasons I’d like to run this.
Do a low stall converter with that lilbb and you'll have a pretty damn driveable truck for its age!

Old 01-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #22
98whitelightnin

Name: 98whitelightnin
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Ive been gathering parts for this swap on my 98 12v 5 speed. I have a banshee controller and already rebuilt the 351ve. Gonna be running an rv style manifold so there shouldnt be any interference with shock tower or anything. Gonna have to do some fab work on the down pipe since the turbo will be hanging low.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
metchosin joe

Name: metchosin joe
Member`s Gallery
Being up in the great green north of Canada I’m having a hard time dumping $250 into the t3-t4i adapter.
I was gonna cut the flange off a 6.7 manifold and booger it onto my spare 12 valve manifold. But I’m starting to lean away from that for obvious cast iron reasons. Any other adapter options other than the company custom fab shop?

Old 01-24-2020, 04:49 PM   #24
me78569

Name: me78569
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
For sub 450 hp truck that is used as a truck the he351ve is a hard turbo to beat. Assuming the code cycles the vanes at start to clean them the turbo is actually pretty bullet proof considering what it is.

The lilbb is the right choice, My Homebrew Vgt controller used a lot of the same base code the lilbb does and it was great.

If anyone is daring enough to want to build their own controller you can grab my code and go.

Holset HE351 VE VGT Standalone Turbo Arduino Controller Tuner - Air s Dodge Cummins Forum

Last edited by me78569; 01-24-2020 at 04:50 PM.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:55 PM   #25
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by me78569 View Post
For sub 450 hp truck that is used as a truck the he351ve is a hard turbo to beat. Assuming the code cycles the vanes at start to clean them the turbo is actually pretty bullet proof considering what it is.

The lilbb is the right choice, My Homebrew Vgt controller used a lot of the same base code the lilbb does and it was great.

If anyone is daring enough to want to build their own controller you can grab my code and go.

Holset HE351 VE VGT Standalone Turbo Arduino Controller Tuner - Air s Dodge Cummins Forum
I did this at one point too. Used some source code from the TDI crowd. It was easier than I thought it'd be, but it was also far from polished. I also didn't have a ton of time into tuning :-(

Old 01-24-2020, 10:07 PM   #26
me78569

Name: me78569
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
The above code is pretty dang good, lots of trial and error and a ton of towing time.

Old 01-24-2020, 10:19 PM   #27
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
I have a Fleece VGT controller for a 24 valve 2nd gen.
Are they any good?

Mark.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #28
metchosin joe

Member`s Gallery
What’s the consensus on welding to a stock manifold? I have a 6.7 manifold and a 12 valve manifold I was planning on swapping the flanges. Do it with high nickel rod and pre heat, slow cool.

Old 01-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #29
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
What’s the consensus on welding to a stock manifold? I have a 6.7 manifold and a 12 valve manifold I was planning on swapping the flanges. Do it with high nickel rod and pre heat, slow cool.
Preheat, weld, pean, (or use a needle scaler) reheat, and let cool.

I’ve also preheated, brazed, reheated, and let cool with good results.

Last edited by bracker8040; 01-30-2020 at 11:00 AM.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:00 PM   #30
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I've done it and not had any cracking. That being said, I am super surprised I didn't have issues, and I wouldn't do it for anyone else for fear it'd fail on them at some point. I should go take a look and see if it is still looking nice. It's been years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracker8040 View Post
Preheat, weld, pean, (or use a needle scaler) reheat, and let cool.

I’ve also preheated, brazed, reheated, and let cool with good results.
Brazed? I would think it gets way too hot to braze anything on a manifold.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #31
bracker8040

Name: bracker8040
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Brazed? I would think it gets way too hot to braze anything on a manifold.
I should clarify. That was on a variety of cast iron pieces, including a lift arm support on a tractor.

I have not personally brazed an exhaust manifold, but have been around several that were.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #32
zfaylor

Name: zfaylor
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Why not bolt the factory 6.7 manifold on? Take a carbide burr and turn those round ports into square ports. A lot of the aftermarket manifolds out there all come from the same casting and they do just that for the 12 valves. Way less hack than welding on a flange that will likely fail and no clocking of the housings. Shoot I bet a factory 3rd gen downpipe would fit on it as well.

North American Turbo

Old 01-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #33
metchosin joe

Member`s Gallery
Bolting on the 6.7 manifold is tempting. I do like the 2nd Gen turbo location though. But I could easily get the rest of the pieces I need if I put the 6.7 manifold on

Closed Thread