Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #1
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Thermodynamic hydraulic debate. (Trans fluid cooler)

I'm in this debate with the owner of local speed shop that I support.

Picked up bunch of AN fittings to hook up trans fluid cooler.

He questioned why I was jumping the size up to -10AN.

Then proceeded to tell me I'm wasting my time and asked why?

Told him bigger so it has more time in cooler to cool.

Said I am an idiot, that hydraulic pressure is hydraulic pressure. Said everything I'm doing by stepping up to -10 inlet/outlet plus -10 cooler, is waste.

Let's hear it from the more smarter peeps than me.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #2
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
The return hole size into the trans is the main factor, but I'm with y'all on the low pressure/high volume flow thru the cooler.

I run all #8 on my setup.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #3
thatguy69

Name: thatguy69
Member`s Gallery
regardless using -8 vs -10 gives you more volume which is what your after. whether its worth it or not I don't think so.i used a b&m plate cooler in the factory location and a derale 15870 under the bed and it runs cool as a kitten,almost too cool. pulling a 14k this summer when it was 90+ out my temp never got over 180. without a trailer it never gets over 140 in the summer and its hard to hit that

Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #4
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
With 3/8" ID fittings?

Old 03-15-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy69 View Post
regardless using -8 vs -10 gives you more volume which is what your after. whether its worth it or not I don't think so.i used a b&m plate cooler in the factory location and a derale 15870 under the bed and it runs cool as a kitten,almost too cool. pulling a 14k this summer when it was 90+ out my temp never got over 180. without a trailer it never gets over 140 in the summer and its hard to hit that
My plan was to follow what my buddy has on his triple turbo drag truck. -10 lines to -10 cooler/fan/thermostat setup.

Although since I'm streeting this one I questioned running two cooler/fan setups??

Was told -6 is fine. But under the assumption that more is more better.

Then the Speed Shop owner was making it like I am stupid..... .

Old 03-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #6
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
This is the concoction I have.

Fitting into trans, -6 AN fitting to -8, -8 to-10 fitting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190307_201607616.jpg (235.2 KB, 0 views)

Old 03-15-2019, 07:39 PM   #7
Tobin

Name: Tobin
Title: 5.7 IDI Powaa!
Member`s Gallery
The larger diameter line actually keeps pressure up at the cooler (less restriction) and slows down velocity of the fluid. Yes, the ports on the transmission are restrictive, so at some point you are hitting the point of diminishing returns.

I drilled out my NPT to AN adapters some, they neck down pretty good.

Stacked plate cooler is what you want.

I would definitely go at least a -8 line, -10 is even better.

1977 F250 RCLB 4x4 "High Boy" 12 valve, 180 pump, 5x.014, S363/S475, Goerend 47RH, NP271, 2007 D60/Sterling 10.5, 40" Toyo MTs

Old 03-15-2019, 10:24 PM   #8
RacinDuallie

Member`s Gallery
So if I used a smaller diameter line/ cooler the fluid spends less time in the cooler, whereas the larger diameter lines /cooler has a larger volume of fluid therefore this larger amount of fluid stays in the cooler longer which means the inlet temp should be cooler......

Old 03-16-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
crackerman

Name: crackerman
Member`s Gallery
Not quite so much in the lines, the cooler, yes. The more time the fluid spends in the cooler, the more heat is exchanged.

The smaller the line,the faster the fluid gets to the cooler.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:53 AM   #10
jasonc

Member`s Gallery
What is the pressure thru the cooler lines on a 47/48 trans with 200psi line pressure?

Old 03-16-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
T-MAN

Name: T-MAN
Title: misunderstood
Member`s Gallery
I would say that depend on the line size you use from the trans, bigger the line the greater the pressure drop....

Old 03-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
12valve95

Name: 12valve95
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerman View Post
Not quite so much in the lines, the cooler, yes. The more time the fluid spends in the cooler, the more heat is exchanged.

The smaller the line,the faster the fluid gets to the cooler.
So by this thinking, wouldn't you want a smaller line going to the cooler and a bigger line coming from to allow maximum time in the cooler?

'95 RCLB: in pieces...

1986 RC C30 Dually 12Valve...Coming soon

'17 HANDSHAKER : SOLD

Old 03-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #13
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
A larger line flows more fluid. Unless there is a pressure drop it moves more not less. IE when you go from a 2 in water pipe to a 2.5 inch pipe the flow almost doubles!

Old 03-16-2019, 12:54 PM   #14
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
If you use a larger line to and from the cooler, the fluid will spend less time in the cooler.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 03-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
T-MAN

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by zstroken View Post
If you use a larger line to and from the cooler, the fluid will spend less time in the cooler.
when you increase the line size from the trans you also have a pressure drop, this increases the volume and slows the velocity, it can only displace the fluid so fast with the bigger lines.... so it will spend more time in the cooler.

Old 03-16-2019, 02:04 PM   #16
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN View Post
when you increase the line size from the trans you also have a pressure drop, this increases the volume and slows the velocity, it can only displace the fluid so fast with the bigger lines.... so it will spend more time in the cooler.
If you're looking at it from a fixed displacement pump, then you would be correct about the higher velocity. But if you have a .5 sq.in. hose at 20 ft/sec, or a 1 sq.in. hose at 10 ft/sec, your flow rate is still the same. Flow is what you're concerned with through the cooler, not the velocity

If we're looking at it from a fixed pressure view (which I'm thinking is more likely the scenario, but autos are voodoo to me), the bigger line will have a similar velocity and more flow. If the cooler doesn't add any appreciable restriction to the system, then the oil will go through the cooler faster and come out hotter. It'll likely shed the same amount of thermal energy, but it'll be more oil cooled to a higher temperature.

Seems like to me that if you're smallest fittings are -6, going to a -10 won't change the flow rate much through the cooler, just the velocity in the lines.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 03-16-2019, 02:36 PM   #17
T-MAN

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
If you're looking at it from a fixed displacement pump, then you would be correct about the higher velocity. But if you have a .5 sq.in. hose at 20 ft/sec, or a 1 sq.in. hose at 10 ft/sec, your flow rate is still the same. Flow is what you're concerned with through the cooler, not the velocity

If we're looking at it from a fixed pressure view (which I'm thinking is more likely the scenario, but autos are voodoo to me), the bigger line will have a similar velocity and more flow. If the cooler doesn't add any appreciable restriction to the system, then the oil will go through the cooler faster and come out hotter. It'll likely shed the same amount of thermal energy, but it'll be more oil cooled to a higher temperature.

Seems like to me that if you're smallest fittings are -6, going to a -10 won't change the flow rate much through the cooler, just the velocity in the lines.
This is what Jeff is after....

If we start with a 3/8 outlet at the case of the transmission with lets say 70psi. we jump to a 5/8 diameter line we should have a pressure drop. the 5/8 line goes through a plate style cooler with 5/8 inlet and outlet and returns back to the transmission through a 3/8 fitting dumping into the pan. Ill add that before the original 3/8 fitting the passages in the trans are about 1/4 "

wouldn't the increased area of the bigger line plus the pressure drop slow the velocity and allow more time for the cooler to do its job? Also if we maintained the original pressure (restriction) this would build heat, so wouldn't replacing pressure with volume be a good thing? Nice reply by the way....T-MAN

Old 03-16-2019, 02:58 PM   #18
biggy238

Name: biggy238
Member`s Gallery
'More time in the cooler' is conjectural.

If there was no restriction of the fluid return, yeah, the interaction of the fluid to the cooler surface would potentially increase.

But that isn't the case here. You are only going to flow what the orifice back into the case will allow.

That doesn't make any mention of laminar flow. Interaction of the fluid in the cooler is determined by how many changes in direction it makes. This is where the suggestion of bar plate coolers comes from. On most tube and fin coolers, the path of least resistance dictates that only a percentage of the core handles the majority of the fluid flow. Some designs use a single path design on their tube and fin coolers to eliminate that. (typical trans cooler of PS cooler)

Why Laminar Flow is AWESOME - Smarter Every Day 208 - YouTube

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
'10 Silver F250 CCLB 4X4 6.4L cummins Swapped
Insta @trash.panda250

Old 03-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #19
T-MAN

Member`s Gallery
Jeff didn't put that it was with a bar and plate cooler. would they cool the same if ?

A- 3/8 fitting to 3/8 line, then 5/8 cooler inlet on bar style cooler to 5/8 outlet, back to 3/8 line to trans.
B- 3/8 fitting to 5/8 line all the way back to the trans with a 3/8 fitting on the trans.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #20
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MAN View Post

When you increase the line size on the supply and return line, you will have less pressure drop on both of those lines. There for you will have less overall resistance in the circuit, which means you will flow faster. We are making the assumption that the cooler is the greatest restriction in that circuit(which is a good assumption).

The increased line size will slow the velocity only in the supply and return line. You still running through the same cooler.

If you really want to get technical when you do this type of thing you need to look at the pump curve. I am going to make an assumption that the supply pressure from the trans is constant.
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Closed Thread