Thermodynamic hydraulic debate. (Trans fluid cooler)

'

But that isn't the case here. You are only going to flow what the orifice back into the case will allow.

With higher DP you will get more flow through the orifice. Which supports the reason the fluid will spend less time in the cooler.

Of course we could talk about larger lines having more surface area and radiate more heat....

With higher DP you will get more flow through the orifice. Which supports the reason the fluid will spend less time in the cooler.

Of course we could talk about larger lines having more surface area and radiate more heat....
I think we're on the same page.

If I understand what Jeff is after, it's to argue that the temperature of the resevoir that the cooler makes is an advantage.

My thought is this only holds true if you defeat laminar flow in the cooler. Otherwise the outlet orifice dictates flow velocity and availability for interaction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think we're on the same page.

If I understand what Jeff is after, it's to argue that the temperature of the resevoir that the cooler makes is an advantage.

My thought is this only holds true if you defeat laminar flow in the cooler. Otherwise the outlet orifice dictates flow velocity and availability for interaction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kind of, it just seems folks don't understand the effects of pipe diameter. Also pressure at the cooler inlet and cooler outlet. Larger lines will raise the pressure at the cooler inlet, as well as drop the pressure at the cooler outlet. Therefore you have a higher DP across the cooler, which means faster flow through the cooler..

The returning oil through the case and intermediate shaft assembly is the largest restriction. Factory came with 1/2" line and 1/2" cooler fittings so I always recommend -8 line size. FYI, the case is 1/4" NPT, not 3/8" NPT. A standard aluminum 1/4" NPT to -8 AN or JIC fitting has a smaller ID through the 1/4" NPT portion of the fitting than a factory brass fitting with inverted flares. So I always recommend steel 1/4" NPT to -8AN fitting and drill it out (I don't like to drill out aluminum fittings), then your case fitting won't be the restriction, it will then become the intermediate shaft and lube circuit components.

All you are gaining IMO with -10 vs -8 is a little more fluid capacity, the -8 line is not a restriction so going larger does not significantly change the flow rate but it is larger so it holds a smidge more total fluid.

I'm just assuming I'm correct when I say if I want to lower my trans fluid temp i will do it by increasing cooler surface area with a larger, or additional cooler not monkey with line sizes?

The returning oil through the case and intermediate shaft assembly is the largest restriction. Factory came with 1/2" line and 1/2" cooler fittings so I always recommend -8 line size. FYI, the case is 1/4" NPT, not 3/8" NPT. A standard aluminum 1/4" NPT to -8 AN or JIC fitting has a smaller ID through the 1/4" NPT portion of the fitting than a factory brass fitting with inverted flares. So I always recommend steel 1/4" NPT to -8AN fitting and drill it out (I don't like to drill out aluminum fittings), then your case fitting won't be the restriction, it will then become the intermediate shaft and lube circuit components.

All you are gaining IMO with -10 vs -8 is a little more fluid capacity, the -8 line is not a restriction so going larger does not significantly change the flow rate but it is larger so it holds a smidge more total fluid.

I think I have it, A 1/4 npt has a id of approx. 3/8" (not sure if you were referencing me but 1/4" pipe is a deceiving number) and the factory lines are 1/2" steel all the way through. so if we drill out the case fitting to a larger diameter probably 1/2" because your recomending #8 lines, now every #8 fitting you put in these lines restrict back to a 3/8 id.(smaller then factory) If you start with a 1/4 NPT to 5/8" jic or 10an you have 1/2 id already on all fitting even the 45*, 90* and 180*, there's no drilling. There must have been a reason derale put 10an inlets on the cooler? Probably to maintain the factory 1/2" flow with no restrictions.. When Jeff asked this question he had not purchased 1 fitting yet, Im not saying #8 should be replaced by #10 because its a magic bullet, im saying if your starting from scratch with a plate style cooler and it has 10an inlet and outlet why not follow suit? COMPD ball busting …. How do you drill out the #8 90* fitting off the trans case to get to a 1/2" id ? we just increased the case fitting so this needs to be done also, or now every #8 fitting becomes a restriction...….

Any time that fluid or gas under pressure reaches an orifice (restriction), it's temp. increases. Less restriction, less temperature. I would match my line sizes at the inlet and outlet of the cooler and call it a day.

Any time that fluid or gas under pressure reaches an orifice (restriction), it's temp. increases. Less restriction, less temperature. I would match my line sizes at the inlet and outlet of the cooler and call it a day.
Holy chit? Almost never see you here on a Sunday posting??? Did the priest kick you out of the confessional chamber? :hehe:

Holy chit? Almost never see you here on a Sunday posting??? Did the priest kick you out of the confessional chamber? :hehe:

Road trip this afternoon. Taking car of a little business before heading out. Figure I would check in to see what you men are up to.

Eat a dick... I don't have to drink all the time. LOL

I also have the flu, tried a Sunday full of Knob Creek last weekend. Didn't work.

Just what the doctor ordered!!

Attachments

• 15528380273341586282207.jpg
    15528380273341586282207.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 0
Eat a dick... I don't have to drink all the time. LOL

I also have the flu, tried a Sunday full of Knob Creek last weekend. Didn't work.

You must be delirious.

Bacon wrapped pork tenderloin. And some suds.

Attachments

• IMG_20190317_121716340.jpg
    IMG_20190317_121716340.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 0
Am I wrong or is there 16 different answers here?:bang

Big blue, optimum suggestion for plan of attack? So far I bought 6 fittings...... Gotta be able to run the stainless braided bling hose though. That is a must. :lolly:

Still have to get the cooler and hose.

Back