Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 04:47 PM   #1
Chassisman

Name: Chassisman
Title: Gator Out...
Member`s Gallery
Fuel Lube or not

Any thoughts on here as to wheather or not the cummins engines or any other for that matter would benefit from a lubricant additive for the injectors and CP3???

Old 09-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #2
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
We run stanadyne fuel additive in all of our bulk tanks.

But I can’t specifically comment on common rail fuel systems
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Old 09-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #3
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
I would take the money you would waste on additive and stick it in a coffee can.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #4
SmokinCAT

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chassisman View Post
Any thoughts on here as to wheather or not the cummins engines or any other for that matter would benefit from a lubricant additive for the injectors and CP3???
Old engines yes, the new engines that are designed for ULSD not likely to seen any benefits.

If any additive you use has an emulsifier in it, you could have issues with water in the fuel system, those types of treatments breakdown the water small enough that a water separator filter may not catch it, but it could still cause damage to the fuel injectors.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
QMFB

Name: QMFB
Title: Fastest Welder in Texas
Member`s Gallery
Ashless 2stroke oil is a very common additive for fuel lubricant, and can be had fairly cheap.
Now, I'm not going to comment on the arguments pro or con on using it, but I will say it is commonly used.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Given that all commonrail 5.9s were around when the LSD (500ppm) was around, I don't think it's a bad idea to run an additive.
The 5.9 Cummins and LB7 injectors were such a POS design from the start, that anything to help them along isn't a bad idea.

All one has to do is drop the tank on a ~200k truck and see all of the metal debris in the bottom, to know that they, and the CP3, are self destructing from the start.

It has been mentioned that (blended) biodiesel does lubricate the fuel system and from my personal experience, the engines do seem to run quieter when biodiesel is added.

Mark.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
mfsuper90

Name: mfsuper90
Title: 300ft is all I need
Member`s Gallery
We legitimately saw a decrease in mechanical fuel pump issues when we started using additive. Mostly with the old rotary CAV pUmps. We only have one commonrail engine and it doesn’t have enough hours on it to comment about.

I’d like to hear a Seth’s opinion on this subject.
'14 Ram Anarchy EFI, G56

Last edited by mfsuper90; 09-12-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
Rich dzl

Name: Rich dzl
Title: 12v guru
Member`s Gallery
At the pump shop I worked at we saw pumps that ran fuel lube/cleaner ,the Plungers and injectors looked so much better. Seems the cleaner in the additives is equally important .

Old 09-12-2018, 09:37 PM   #9
jfaulkner

Name: jfaulkner
Title: Douche Hunter
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich dzl View Post
At the pump shop I worked at we saw pumps that ran fuel lube/cleaner ,the Plungers and injectors looked so much better. Seems the cleaner in the additives is equally important .

They may have looked better but the pump was still torn apart so did they really save anything?

IMO Do the math. Cost of addictive vs the potential cost of repairs. If it costs $10 a week and you keep your truck 5 yrs, is a set of injectors or a pump more or less than $2600? Personally to me that’s not a good ROI, I have better odds in Vegas.

I see lots of semis with every type of fuel system and I see no difference in issues between ones that have jugs of fuel additive in the side boxes vs the ones that don’t.

When a guys pump plunger explodes on his common rail ISX, it wasn’t because he didn’t buy a $20 jug of additive every fill up.

Brother in law hauls propellers all across the US with a pickup. Had a 2002 Chevy and ran it 300,000 miles and put one set of injectors in it. No way that additive math adds up. Only fuel issue the local Co-Op has seen was from bio diesel.

I haven’t seen a rash if mechanical truck motors die because of the fuel. And a 100k mile per year truck would surely show signs before a farm tractor that works a few months a year.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Leiffi

Name: Leiffi
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Cummins 5.9 commonrail is Bosch, Bosch is european and we have had ULSD since 1990 or something like that, only problems have been with rotary pumps, they are so weak design.

Closed Thread