Another compound thread

Jordan Koehn

So I've got a 72 on a straight steed right now. The spool is decent except when I'm towing. And I only get 13-14 mpg.

I've been thinking about compounds . My dream setup, at least one in my means, would be a 82/92 1.10 over a fmw 62/68.

Except I've got a big holset at home that was tried on a friends n-14 Cummins and was too big. I'm not sure what it is. The comp inducer is 83.85 and the exducer is 139??. I can't get the turbine off to measure it but its a 26 cm ar housing.

I've been thinking a couple things.

1. Put a spool flange on my 72 and run the ht4c? over it.

2. Sell the 72, buy a fmw 62 and put the holset over it. Probably best option.

Does anyone know anything about how these big holsets compare to a s480 or s482? As far as spool and flow? I mean, you can't beat free but I would like to tow and get good fuel economy. I daily drive this 72 now so I can put up with quite a bit.

Thanks for your input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

I just bought a ht4c. Hear there good chargers. Big blue is running one on his budget drag truck with a he351 over it n loves it

Ya, is like the quick spool that a smaller turbine wheel and housing would bring but you can't beat free. Its kinda rusty, tho. Prolly won't last long and the exhaust flange is pitted pretty good. But it's tight. It only had a couple hundred hours on it.

Why not just sell them both and buy what you need?

Cause I was thinking cheap. And the less I buy and sell turbos, the more ahead I'll be. I prolly couldn't get $400 for this ht4c.

Sell the 72, buy the off the shelf fmw 62 internally gated t4 charger (same turbo I run), find someone to weld a v-band to the turbo and mate it up accordingly, find someone to machine the exhaust flange to an hx40 style or just make your hot pipe using a full marmon flange, finish the rest and enjoy. I don't know how that holset charger works but I can tell you this 62 of mine paired with this 11-blade billet HPX charger (75mm s400, 87mm turbine, 1.1 t6 housing) lights up fast and blows my tires off quick!

Nick, do you run an external gate or just use the 62's gate? That's the exact turbo I want.

Nick, do you run an external gate or just use the 62's gate? That's the exact turbo I want.

Just the internal thus far. I have an external port on the steed straight flange manifold should I ever need it. One day when I can stop being lazy/busy I will get the drive gauge back on and see what I have as far as drive.

Say you get $1000 for the two, buy a he351, used S480, and an external gate. It will make as much power as what you are planning on using, and light waaaayyy faster, AND get your MPG back.

Thing is, you are still going to need all the twin piping, flanges, clamps, air filter, oil lines, and drains. So spending money is going to happen, might as well get a charger you can run as a single now, then save up until you can get all the right parts you need.

I wouldn't want the 72 as a secondary with anything smaller than a 100mm primary.

Why put all that work and money into building a twin set, you know is not what you want?

I like your idea of a 63/68/.80 T3 or .83 divided T4 with a 82/92/1.10 T6....

Just so happens I have my FI 82 for sale, and the rebuilt Forced Inductions 11 blade 63/68.

Hint hint....

Why are you guys wasting money on a billet or fmw wheel on the secondary? Its not going to see a high pr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Why are you guys wasting money on a billet or fmw wheel on the secondary? Its not going to see a high pr.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Personally, I ran my charger for a year or so as a single before converting it to a secondary. In my setup, it is fed over 40psi from the primary. With a rating of over 70lbs/min, the higher flow 68mm turbine, the 6 pad thrust system, an internally gated .83 a/r housing with a divided t4 foot, and OEM quality from Borg, all for the price of around $1250 or so with all machining needed to make it bolt up, it is a steel in my eyes. There are cheaper options as always; however, I don't believe they will flow as well on the intake and exhaust side with so little compromise in spool, for this money, and with the durability offered. Just my opinion, I am not turbo expert but i've had a few.

I've got 80% injectors and duel cp3's. Does anyone think that I would overspeed the 82/92 1.10 with that kind of fuel? Should I wastegate around the primary?

Back