2012 exhaust brake problems

cummins-dodge

2012 3500 6spd 133,000 mile the exhaust brake doesn't work most of the time but it kicks in every time on cold mornings I cleaned back pressure sensor and tube and nothing changed

Wouldn't problems with the actuator set a DTC? My 07.5 is doing the same thing, exhaust brake works when it wants to and I don't have any related DTCs.

Usually problems with the vane assembly sticking will throw some actuator faults as well. It may not throw a CEL. I would put a scanner on it and cycle the vanes.

I had issues with my 08, it wouldn't work, then sometimes you could hear the exhaust pitch change but it wasn't working at slowing the truck. I figured it was a turbo problem and kinda low priority at the time. I switched to another tuner for other issues it had and the ex brake works perfect now out of nowhere. I bought the truck already tuned and it never worked, I didn't even tell the tuner it wasn't and all good now. Has it ever worked correct for you and started acting up recently?

I've seen problems with tuning cause this, as well as bad turbos. My recommendation would be to try different tuning first because its cheaper than a new turbo. The H&S can cause a lot of problems and may not allow positioner codes to set. I have a 2013 in the shop right now that is doing the almost exact same thing you are talking about. H&S tuner.

I've seen problems with tuning cause this, as well as bad turbos. My recommendation would be to try different tuning first because its cheaper than a new turbo. The H&S can cause a lot of problems and may not allow positioner codes to set. I have a 2013 in the shop right now that is doing the almost exact same thing you are talking about. H&S tuner.

H&S on a '13?

try different tuning first because its cheaper than a new turbo

There are plenty of take-off turbos laying around with low mileage from guys who 2g swapped for under $500.

This sounds like a pretty cut and dry actuator failure at 133k miles.

Back