Ford 3000 will not prime (Simms in-line pump)

bateman

Well, tractor was parked for 6 months. Dad decided to replace the fuel filters. I went through the manual and properly bled the filters, then the pump. I can not get fuel to the injectors. We tried pulling it down the road for the hell of it and nothing.

I’ve searched all I can and can’t figure it out so maybe you guys have a trick or two. It was my late grandfathers and it means a lot to me. Would like to use it again.

70’s model. 3 cylinder with a Simms inline pump.

Lift pump is working, but I can’t verify if the rack could be stuck or what not. I have a factory manual.

You may try cracking the fuel lines right at the injectors, hook up a battery charger, and crank until you see fuel at the lines. Don't want to crank so much as to burn the starter up, but 10-15 seconds at a time should get it bled out. Once you see fuel at the loosened lines, tighten them as they start to run pretty good.

Try to start it on eather, maybe engine at running speed will pull some fuel through?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You may try cracking the fuel lines right at the injectors, hook up a battery charger, and crank until you see fuel at the lines. Don't want to crank so much as to burn the starter up, but 10-15 seconds at a time should get it bled out. Once you see fuel at the loosened lines, tighten them as they start to run pretty good.

Sorry I should have been more thorough. We’ve tried that probably 20 times now as far as using the starter. Can’t get a single drop. I almost questioned if I should remove them completely and confirm they are not plugged, but I can’t imagine how that would happen.

There is also a “button” that is the shaft coming out of the pump for fuel shut off. Pushing in for full fuel or cold cranking. Still nothing. Verified shaft is turning with fuel shut off cable.

This is all I could find on bleeding it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is from an online manual I found here. It's on page 193.

https://www.slideshare.net/ClaudioLopez36/manual-reparacion-ford-tractor-2000700019651975

Attachments

• bleed.jpg
    bleed.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 0
  • system.jpg
    system.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you for the phone call and info Scott. Nice to hear that I haven’t missed anything dumb. Yet ha.

That looks to be one of the manuals I have.

I’m going to remove the injector lines at the pump to verify they aren’t somehow plugged. I will also remove the timing plate to verify the pump shaft is turning.

You sure the tank, or lines aren't clogged up with algea growth? Being you said it's been sitting up 6 months.

He said he's getting fuel at the bleed screw on the pump. Sure seems to me there's something going on with the shutdown lever, but he said he'd checked that.

He said he's getting fuel at the bleed screw on the pump. Sure seems to me there's something going on with the shutdown lever, but he said he'd checked that.

That, or the plungers in the injector pump stuck from sitting all that time with diesel fuel in it.

Might be worth removing the injection lines from the pump and spraying WD or PB Blaster down in there. then let it sit over night. Leave the lines off and crank it. That may free them up enough to start pumping.

That, or the plungers in the injector pump stuck from sitting all that time with diesel fuel in it.

Might be worth removing the injection lines from the pump and spraying WD or PB Blaster down in there. then let it sit over night. Leave the lines off and crank it. That may free them up enough to start pumping.

That sounds like a pretty solid idea. I’ll give it a try.

I will try to find an exploded diagram of the pump or maybe just use pics of other pumps best I can. Need to verify the shutdown lever. Looks to be a bit raggedy where the lever mates to the shaft.

Not sure what you mean by coupler? I actually just found a damn good video of a complete tear down and rebuild of the exact pump we have. Much more simple than I imagined haha no special tools needed really. Delivery valve socket at least.

Stupid question I’m sure.. but the fuel shutdown cable, is it separate from the throttle or rack? Basically could the shutdown shaft at the pump not be rotating enough to allow fuel, yet the throttle lever still works freely?

We have a Princeton piggyback forklift (4 cylinder mechanically injected cat/Perkins motor) that rides on the back of one of our trailers. This winter on a super cold day the driver was doing a delivery and couple miles a part and loaded it back up and left it running. Got to the next stop and it had died. We thought it had gelled up, but it actually had someth6go wrong in the governor housing and it wouldn't push the fuel shut off all open, therefore wouldn't start.

Just wondering how your pump is set up with the fuel shut off ect, and if there is something internally hindering the fuel shut off to not be fully opened?

That’s pretty much what I’m wondering. You put into words much better haha I’m going to remove the inspection cover to verify the rack moves. Just not sure if that’s separate from the shut off or not.

the fuel shutdown cable, is it separate from the throttle or rack? Basically could the shutdown shaft at the pump not be rotating enough to allow fuel, yet the throttle lever still works freely?
Are you asking if the shutdown lever stops the throttle from moving? They are independent of each other. The shutdown lever cuts off fuel to the IP. The throttle will still move no matter what position the shutdown lever is in.

That sounds like a pretty solid idea. I’ll give it a try.

I will try to find an exploded diagram of the pump or maybe just use pics of other pumps best I can. Need to verify the shutdown lever. Looks to be a bit raggedy where the lever mates to the shaft.
I wouldn't be afraid to prime the pump with a gallon jug of WD-40. Let it work on everything from the inside.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

Back