Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
Dieselkid

Name: Dieselkid
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Kinda in a Dilemma

I wanna truck, But I am Young and still making minimum wage. I've been saving up for a car/truck. I've been on this site for quite some time and I've been trying to soak up as much information as possible. Back when I was in school I went to Vocational school for Diesel tech. I had made about that a few years ago.

Now here's the problem I know every car and truck has its pros and cons. whether it be gas or diesel. I've been looking at the Cummins and 7.3L Powerstrokes I would have looked at the 6.0's but the issues I read about them kinda scares me, from what I read the Head gaskets and EGR coolers then to go bad all the time, and sometimes the ICP is an issue as well.

I Just don't know If I should go the Diesel route or not. I just spoke to my friend who recently owned a 7.3L Powerstroke and told me he payed 110 to fill it up, that's alot of money he's also going to school for Diesel Tech at some vocational so he's been giving me background as well.

Is there any Issues with the Cummins I should look into? As of now I don't really have anything to tow, so thats out of the question for now, but I do plan to buy a boat or jet ski eventually or even a car trailer. I've been playing to buy a toy for a while, so I wanna be able to tow it back and forth from the track just in case it blows up.

So if any of you have suggestions feel free to chime in. My friend had suggested either an F-150/Expedition would be ideal for me, But I don't know I love the f-150's and expeditions but I just want something I know will be ok when it comes to towing etc.

You ain't Competition unless you drive a Diesel.

Bringing the Best Together

Old 07-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Begle1

Name: Begle1
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
1st gen Cummins (89-93) are relatively inexpensive and are fun. Most people tell you to get a 2nd gen (94-98) Cummins because of the higher performance threshold, but 1st gens are under-rated and relatively cheaper.

Diesel's cost a lot of money to fill up because they have 30+ gallon tanks. In real life you're looking at 16 MPG on the low-end, 20 MPG on the high-end. On the Internet you're looking at around 18 MPG on the low end, 24 MPG on the high end. For a 12 valve Cummins at least. I believe that the 7.3's trend lower, mostly because the trucks weigh more.

Old 07-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
1st gen Cummins (89-93) are relatively inexpensive and are fun. Most people tell you to get a 2nd gen (94-98) Cummins because of the higher performance threshold, but 1st gens are under-rated and relatively cheaper.

Diesel's cost a lot of money to fill up because they have 30+ gallon tanks. In real life you're looking at 16 MPG on the low-end, 20 MPG on the high-end. On the Internet you're looking at around 18 MPG on the low end, 24 MPG on the high end. For a 12 valve Cummins at least. I believe that the 7.3's trend lower, mostly because the trucks weigh more.
Do you think its worth it though? Are they easy to work on?

Old 07-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
Begle1

Member`s Gallery
The older to work on the easier.

I can climb into either side of my first gen's engine compartment and pull off just about anything without having to pull off something else to get to it.

I have no regrets buying my first gen. They're pretty bare bones stupid simple. I paid $2,650 when I was 15.

Click the image to open in full size.

Second gen 12 valves are pretty bare bones stupid simple too, and also easy to work on.

You wouldn't regret it. Just know that, instead of nickel and diming you to death, Diesels quarter and dollar you to death. If you do your own work it's not so bad.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 PM   #5
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The older to work on the easier.

I can climb into either side of my first gen's engine compartment and pull off just about anything without having to pull off something else to get to it.

I have no regrets buying my first gen. They're pretty bare bones stupid simple. I paid $2,650 when I was 15.

Click the image to open in full size.

Second gen 12 valves are pretty bare bones stupid simple too, and also easy to work on.

You wouldn't regret it. Just know that, instead of nickel and diming you to death, Diesels quarter and dollar you to death. If you do your own work it's not so bad.
Yea, I already have a car I just want something to Putts around in, I want something a little newer though, I really like the early model 7.3L the one's with the Turbo not the IDI. I'am guessing thats 93-97, I like the 94-01 Ram's as well, with the 12 Valve's.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #6
Begle1

Member`s Gallery
Psh, they don't got the style of the first gen. They don't got the STYLE. The JAZZ. The ELEGANT TASTE.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Psh, they don't got the style of the first gen. They don't got the STYLE. The JAZZ. The ELEGANT TASTE.

ha ha thats funny. you know any pros and cons of these trucks.

Old 07-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #8
Begle1

Member`s Gallery
First gens start the best.

Second gens have crappy front ends.

7.3 liters rip themselves apart due to cavitation.

Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
First gens start the best.

Second gens have crappy front ends.

7.3 liters rip themselves apart due to cavitation.
the 6.0's are like that as well, they eat head gaskets along with the egr coolers failing constantly, so most people get the egr delete kit. I heard the earlier 7.3L aren't that bad though.

Old 07-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #10
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
12v is hands down the simplest, most reliable diesel. Either first gen or 94-98 second gen.

Like Snoopy said, the 94-98 have more power potential.

I wouldn't buy another gasser. Yeah they cost a lot to fill up, but that's because of the big tank. Gassers with big tanks are expensive to fill as well.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedtexan View Post
12v is hands down the simplest, most reliable diesel. Either first gen or 94-98 second gen.

Like Snoopy said, the 94-98 have more power potential.

I wouldn't buy another gasser. Yeah they cost a lot to fill up, but that's because of the big tank. Gassers with big tanks are expensive to fill as well.
Yea Man I hear ya, I wonder If I could find an 03 or later 6.7L for cheap. I wanna 6 speed but would settle for an automatic. I wanna spend 20G at the most. I am looking at Powerstrokes as well, along with 03-04 Mustang Cobras.

I am just wondering If I should just get the Hemi, I mean I won't be towing anything just yet, but the Diesels do get better gas mileage for what they are. I am sure a programmer as well to help it as well. I just don't know at this point.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
to be honest with you go with a second gen 12v my buddy had his 2wd 2nd gen 12v running 33mpg at about 400hp with a gear vendors unit. they are easy to work on and pretty cheap to modify make sure you find a p-pump engine though
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #13
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
to be honest with you go with a second gen 12v my buddy had his 2wd 2nd gen 12v running 33mpg at about 400hp with a gear vendors unit. they are easy to work on and pretty cheap to modify make sure you find a p-pump engine though
Yea I don't know, from what I am seeing they had 5.9C's in the early 03-04 I guess models then switched over to the 6.7L in the later years.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #14
SKYNYRD

Name: SKYNYRD
Title: "Drunkard"
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselkid View Post
Yea I don't know, from what I am seeing they had 5.9C's in the early 03-04 I guess models then switched over to the 6.7L in the later years.
the first gens ran either a ve pump or pump. second gens had a 12v p-pump and a 24v vp pump, 3rd gens had cp3 24v up until 07 when they went to the 6.7 motors
01 & 03 VW Golf TDI
05 rcsb 2wd (in progress)
ROSKOE115: "It's ain't avatar material but I'd hit it!"

Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYNYRD View Post
the first gens ran either a ve pump or pump. second gens had a 12v p-pump and a 24v vp pump, 3rd gens had cp3 24v up until 07 when they went to the 6.7 motors
ah thanks for the clarifacation.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 AM   #16
scott2001

Name: scott2001
Title: Its never fast enough
Member`s Gallery
but really the old 12 valves are mostly going to be your best bet, for someone with your schooling it would be rather simple and you dont have to have a computer to tell you that this sensor is out, that goes with all of them. i like the dodge buts thats me, 94 to 02 there really not much diffence on the outside, the front ends do wear out and the trannys needed a stronger tq and a better valve body. chevys just sucked til duramax, for are ok the 6.0 got alot of buddys that run them only one had a problem most of the time if its got aleast 70,000 miles there ok with the head gasket thats what we have run into. happy hunting for your truck

Old 07-21-2009, 09:56 AM   #17
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2001 View Post
but really the old 12 valves are mostly going to be your best bet, for someone with your schooling it would be rather simple and you dont have to have a computer to tell you that this sensor is out, that goes with all of them. i like the dodge buts thats me, 94 to 02 there really not much diffence on the outside, the front ends do wear out and the trannys needed a stronger tq and a better valve body. chevys just sucked til duramax, for are ok the 6.0 got alot of buddys that run them only one had a problem most of the time if its got aleast 70,000 miles there ok with the head gasket thats what we have run into. happy hunting for your truck
I am sorry I didn't quite understand what you said when you said there wasn't any computers, that just makes diagnostics harder then.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #18
displacedtexan

Name: displacedtexan
Title: $500 PREMIUM MEMBER
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselkid View Post
I am sorry I didn't quite understand what you said when you said there wasn't any computers, that just makes diagnostics harder then.
Not really.

Far less stuff on a 12v to go bad...

Old 07-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedtexan View Post
Not really.

Far less stuff on a 12v to go bad...
So its kinda like the old 70-80's and some 90's vehicles were everything isn't about computers lol.

Is there any sensors at all on the 12V's I would assume its slightly difficult to diagnose a problem then. No?

Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #20
Dieselkid

Member`s Gallery
I think If I went with a Dodge it be the 5.9L or the 6.7L But I will still look into the 12V's though, I really like the 7.3L as well, the 6.0's are known to have issues as I mentioned before and they seem a little more quite then the 7.3L

Closed Thread