48re filter/fluid change

holsky

I have the million dollar question for you guys because I have heard so many horror stories about changing the tranny fluid/filter if it hasn't ever been done or so you think it hasn't.

I've been wanting to drop the pan and do it for awhile now and I'm just not brave enough to do it because I'm worried it will screw up after I change the filter and add what is it 4 qts? The truck is about to turn 160K and I've owned the truck since about 135k. So I don't know if it has ever been touched or not, and I wouldn't have a clue what type of fluid is in it.

So with all of that said would you guys do it or not? And if so I probably wont get to it till spring time, and I've got a few other things I think that will need to be checked also like adjust the valve springs, go through and pretty much check everything and probably change out the diff fluid. Gotta get it ready for boating season! :evil

Thanks,
Austin

How does the fluid look now, how does it smell? I say just do it because if it acts up after the fluid change it is on its way out anyway and could and prob would leave you stranded with boat in tow. There isn't really anything to screw up, just dont over tighten the bolts that hol;d the filter to the valve body.

Joe

7-8qts of ATF +4 synthetic. And it won't hurt if its only the the pan replacement. If you flush it may not be a good idea.

Well I broke down and got a filter Monday. Going to grab some fluid and tare into it Friday night.

What are the tq specs for the pan bolts and the filter bolts?

Well after doing some research I believe I'm just going to go through and drop the pan and change the filter and just add 7-8qts and not flush it. Plus I'm going to go and adjust my 1-2 shift band and check the rear band when I have the pan and filter off.

How much is mopar atf +4 at the stealership?

I have changed mine every 30,000 miles. Fluid, filter and I have never adjusted the bands. I found that Wal-Mart sells MOPAR ATF4 but I normally just put in Oreilly brand ATF. Its still high either way! Around $7.00 a quart for the fluid. I have heard that tractor hydraulic fluid works too but I am not brave enough to try it.

How much is mopar atf +4 at the stealership?

Full list price is $8.75/ quart.

Pan bolts- 125 in/lbs
Filter bolts- 35 in/lbs

FRONT BAND

176380.jpg

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw (2) is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
1.Raise vehicle.
2.Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back locknut (1) off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
3.Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.
4.Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4 turns, for diesel vehicles, or 1-1/2 turns, for V-10 vehicles.
5.Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 34 bN·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
6.Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND

176384.jpg

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw (1).
1.Raise vehicle.
2.Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3.Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4.Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
5.Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
6.Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 41N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
7.Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
8.Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.

TRANSMISSION FILL

To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:
1.Remove dipstick and insert clean funnel in transmission fill tube.
2.Add following initial quantity of Mopar® ATF +4 to transmission: a.If only fluid and filter were changed, add 3 pints (1-1/2 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission.b.If transmission was completely overhauled, torque converter was replaced or drained, and cooler was flushed, add 12 pints (6 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission.
3.Apply parking brakes.
4.Start and run engine at normal curb idle speed.
5.Apply service brakes, shift transmission through all gear ranges then back to NEUTRAL, set parking brake, and leave engine running at curb idle speed.
6.Remove funnel, insert dipstick and check fluid level. If level is low, add fluid to bring level to MIN mark on dipstick. Check to see if the oil level is equal on both sides of the dipstick. If one side is noticably higher than the other, the dipstick has picked up some oil from the dipstick tube. Allow the oil to drain down the dipstick tube and re-check.
7.Drive vehicle until transmission fluid is at normal operating temperature.
8.With the engine running at curb idle speed, the gear selector in NEUTRAL, and the parking brake applied, check the transmission fluid level.
CAUTION:Do not overfill transmission, fluid foaming and shifting problems can result.
9.Add fluid to bring level up to MAX arrow mark.
When fluid level is correct, shut engine off, release park brake, remove funnel, and install dipstick in fill tube.

Last edited:
Full list price is $8.75/ quart.

Pan bolts- 125 in/lbs
Filter bolts- 35 in/lbs

FRONT BAND

176380.jpg

The front (kickdown) band adjusting screw (2) is located on the left side of the transmission case above the manual valve and throttle valve levers.
1.Raise vehicle.
2.Loosen band adjusting screw locknut. Then back locknut (1) off 3-5 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in case. Apply lubricant to screw threads if necessary.
3.Tighten band adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque with an appropriate Torx™ socket.
4.Back off front band adjusting screw 1-3/4 turns, for diesel vehicles, or 1-1/2 turns, for V-10 vehicles.
5.Hold adjuster screw in position and tighten locknut to 34 bN·m (25 ft. lbs.) torque.
6.Lower vehicle.

REAR BAND

176384.jpg

The transmission oil pan must be removed for access to the rear band adjusting screw (1).
1.Raise vehicle.
2.Remove transmission oil pan and drain fluid.
3.Loosen band adjusting screw locknut 5-6 turns. Be sure adjusting screw turns freely in lever.
4.Tighten adjusting screw to 8 N·m (72 in. lbs.) torque.
5.Back off adjusting screw 3 turns.
6.Hold adjusting screw in place and tighten locknut to 41N·m (30 ft. lbs.) torque.
7.Position new gasket on oil pan and install pan on transmission. Tighten pan bolts to 17 N·m (13 ft. lbs.) torque.
8.Lower vehicle and refill transmission with Mopar® ATF +4, Automatic Transmission fluid.

TRANSMISSION FILL

To avoid overfilling transmission after a fluid change or overhaul, perform the following procedure:
1.Remove dipstick and insert clean funnel in transmission fill tube.
2.Add following initial quantity of Mopar® ATF +4 to transmission: a.If only fluid and filter were changed, add 3 pints (1-1/2 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission.b.If transmission was completely overhauled, torque converter was replaced or drained, and cooler was flushed, add 12 pints (6 quarts) of ATF +4 to transmission.
3.Apply parking brakes.
4.Start and run engine at normal curb idle speed.
5.Apply service brakes, shift transmission through all gear ranges then back to NEUTRAL, set parking brake, and leave engine running at curb idle speed.
6.Remove funnel, insert dipstick and check fluid level. If level is low, add fluid to bring level to MIN mark on dipstick. Check to see if the oil level is equal on both sides of the dipstick. If one side is noticably higher than the other, the dipstick has picked up some oil from the dipstick tube. Allow the oil to drain down the dipstick tube and re-check.
7.Drive vehicle until transmission fluid is at normal operating temperature.
8.With the engine running at curb idle speed, the gear selector in NEUTRAL, and the parking brake applied, check the transmission fluid level.
CAUTION:Do not overfill transmission, fluid foaming and shifting problems can result.
9.Add fluid to bring level up to MAX arrow mark.
When fluid level is correct, shut engine off, release park brake, remove funnel, and install dipstick in fill tube.

Thanks buddy. :Cheer:

I got 8 qts today and the guy knocked off a few bucks and it came to 70 bucks. I'm going to tackle into it next weekend depending on how cold it is.

Back