Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
nilsson

Name: nilsson
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Repair dually fenders

Have anyone try to repair the dually fender?
My have some cracks, a small piece on the edge missing.
I don't know what kind of plastic it is?
Is it possible to repair with polyester and glass fiber? Or is it need to be plastic welded?
Maybe some company sell grp copys?

//nilsson

Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
whitneyj

Name: whitneyj
Title: still in pieces
Member`s Gallery
I have 1 to fix from a tire shop backing it into something. I plan on using fiberglass to fix it.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
kawi600

Name: kawi600
Title: got Coal for Christmas
Member`s Gallery
If its plastic, you can try a plastic welder with the same type of filler material (scratch and sniff test works most of the time). sometimes a soldering iron on the lowest heat setting needed to melt the plastic can work the crack closed, but it will remain weaker than the rest of the part. This should be combined with another repair from behind for support.
There are plastic repair kits from vendors like SEM and dupont.. powder and liquid thats applied in layers sometimes with a mesh tape.
sometimes a patch from behind with fiberglass and resin works. depends how rigid the part is. IF the part is fiberglass this approach will probably work the best.
Ive repaired semi-flexible parts using fiberglass and hot glue applied with a spreader. bizarre but it works great. I think this one is the most likely to work in the long run. urethane seam sealer might work like this also if you have some on hand.
then theres the frankenstein mechanical repair with sheet metal and pop rivets. looks fugly but its pretty solid.
Psalm 37:10,11
Isaiah 65:20

Last edited by kawi600; 07-15-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 AM   #4
nilsson

Name: nilsson
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Thanks.

Think i will test fiberglass and resin, and try to build up the edge of the fender.

Is new fenders expansive parts at dodge dealer?
Hard to find used one in good stand?

Have somone used this:
http://www.duallyfendersfiberglasstruck.com/#DODGE

//nilsson

Last edited by nilsson; 07-19-2014 at 03:27 AM.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
stubz616

Name: stubz616
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Repair dually fenders

I grind part way through the plastic or whatever they're made of and take a piece of screen cut out of a household screen for a door or window and then lay down some two part epoxy for fiberglass repair on the damaged area then set the screen in the epoxy and spread over it with more epoxy with a plastic filler spreader. Let it set up over night and come back the next day and shape it close with 80 grit paper. Then a quick skim coat of regular body filler to take care of the 80 grit scratches and to finalize the shape. All the repairs I have done with dually fenders and plastic bumpers on newer cars using this method hold up very well over time and the cracks have never come back to haunt me. Just use a good two part epoxy such as 3M. You can also bridge gaps with the epoxy where chunks may be missing because the screen will hold the epoxy from sagging out.
95 RCLB Farrell Diesel Stage 5 13mm pump,Hamilton Springs,Retainers,Pushrods,Fluidampr,Steed Speed,S467.7/soon to be S488 atmo,Full Billet Trans,DPC 4 disk TC,BD Pressure Loc,Haley Speed 5x.022s,Diesel Pros Custom Cam,O-Ringed,.010 over HG,A1000,Hellman sump,625 Studs, 30*

Last edited by stubz616; 07-19-2014 at 03:57 PM.

Closed Thread