Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 94-98 2nd Gen. 12V
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
TAftw

Name: TAftw
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Ready to take my trans to the next level...thoughts?

I've been reading a lot on here about the 47RH and many of your guys' tricks to getting them performing well. I finally shelled out the money for a decent rebuild and now currently have:

Transgo Diesel TFOD kit (in a NEW valve body)
Kolene steels
Red Eagle clutches throughout
Daaco billet converter, 1200 stall
Sonnax super servo kit w/billet servo covers
High energy bands
HD band strut
HD apply lever
Teflon governor
Deleted checkball
Fully synthetic fluid with a deep pan

Probably a while ton more stuff I can't even remember. I've built it in small steps and really can't recall everything I've done to it.

The way it sits now I think the only thing I can do is add billet shafts and a secondary cooler.

A few questions arise from this:

1) Is there a trick to squeezing more clutches into the direct drum? That drum is applied in every gear except reverse, and I find it crazy that there are only 4 clutches and 3 steels in it (IIRC). I've read a lot on the forum, but am looking for a definitive answer as to if a drum out of a different tranny will allow me to gain some space for more clutches.

2) My converter is pretty nice, lockup hits hard due to it being a big single, yet I am stuck with the 1200 stall. For my setup it works well, but I plan on getting twins and will probably want to change it. Aside from Monster Pump Mike, is there anyone else who makes a two piece rebuildable converter for these trucks? If not, how does one get a hold of Mike?

3) Obviously, a billet input shaft is a must. I've really never heard of the intermediate or output shafts failing, so is it really necessary to add these? The truck will eventually become a hot street truck, no sled pulling, and some minor towing.

Any help would be great. I have searched and read quite a bit, so please be easy .

Old 07-23-2014, 12:18 AM   #2
mike_belben

Name: mike_belben
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
how harsh are the shifts on your truck and what line pressure are you running?

sonnax told me the only thing i shouldnt mix with the tfodhd2 was a super servo.. said just do the cover. i did the transgo kit and raised the line pressure quite a bit but its shifting really soft even at 130psi in the accumulator and 125 in the front servo. my convertor clutch is failing so i assume thats part of it.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
ahale2772

Name: ahale2772
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAftw View Post
The way it sits now I think the only thing I can do is add billet shafts and a secondary cooler.

not to rain on your parade, but there a quite a few bits in these that are not as good as they could be. you said you read, but I doubt you did enough because there are tons of discussions on what works best for these 47's.

intermediates and outputs don't break? since when?

do some digging, then ask more.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Kryp2nitE

Name: Kryp2nitE
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
Are you 2wd or 4wd?

An old thread with links to other threads:

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...d.php?t=152437

I ended up with 6 clutches in the direct drum, 4 in the forward.

You really need to search more, there is so much info on this and CF on 47rh builds.

Closed Thread