Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #21
Soup Nazi

Name: Soup Nazi
Title: The artist formerly known as Don M
Member`s Gallery
You wont break this one!!!!!!!

The new SAE 8620 Billet Steel Camshaft from F1. The ONLY bolt-on, Billet steel camshaft in the industry that also allows use of the factory cam gear without modification.

Some of the differences in why you want this cam over other billets available is clear below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg billet1.jpg (60.4 KB, 177 views)

Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #22
Soup Nazi

Member`s Gallery
A couple more

We retained the fuel pump lobe to drive a mechanical pump if the engine build is needing one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam3.jpg (69.1 KB, 149 views)

Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #23
Fletcher

Name: Fletcher
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
The wider lobe is not needed with the Helix 2 grind.

Longer duration allows a slower lift on the lobe compared to stock. The wider lobe also slows tappet rotation which adds to higher wear on regrind cams. Rotating the tappets ( called sliding tappets also ) are key to slower wear.

The Helix is harder at the lobe as well. The lighter overall rotating mass/weight helps avoid breakage under heavy loads. Simply less mass.

When the molds are produced, we can make them any configuration we like. Wider, not as wide, etc. A larger diameter, etc. The Helix is made this way by design.

The only load we dont like on the Helix cast cams is a 13mm inline P pump. Actually it is not the load to turn the P pump, but the unloading and shock that can oocur if a driveline piece breaks and the load is removed quickly.

The Helix lobes are the same width as the 12V cam, but not as wide as the 24 and CR. Some discussion has occured on paying for another mold, but this has not been needed. Our wear rates are the lowest we have seen on any of the cams available.
Boy, a lot has change since you hopped onto my cam post a few weeks ago, Dr. Duran once said "Facts and Data will set you free" apparently he rights. That's a nice picture, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the cut down cam nose/ key way where the gear seat's. The Nose of those Cams only penetrates 1/2 the width of the gear, the remainder is filled by a loose fitting aluminum cam plug (marine lock) I have installed the gear, place the cam vertically, grab the gear with my hands and move from it from side to side. Now, the lock wasn't bolted in but I can't do that w/ an unaltered nose. This is because the cam nose doesn't pert rude by a 16th" past the cam gear like you find on normal cams.

I love the wider lobe cams the broad crown give greater stability plus more wear surface. My cams desirer 13mm and 14 mm pumps, soon, I'll be able to add 17mm to that list. As a matter of fact, I have a wide lobe test cam (big lift) that has been in and out of several 12v test engines in the past years, I beat that bustard until it bags me to kill it. The shaft is thick, the lobes are wide, plus since its' been ran hard it eliminates the question whether it has "Piping" gas pockets found in new course casts. Also, I think we forgot to elaborate on the principles of rotational vibration factors and the dynamics of major ellipse axis (orbit) vs rotation speed. lateral vibration responses are greatly diminished by stiffness and the damping effects of center material mass These tests are usually simulated at the rotational midspan,

Please note: All of the above and observation were derived from Helix cams that customers have sent me to put my profile into, I will not grind my profile into those cams, the shafts are too thin.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #24
Soup Nazi

Member`s Gallery
The F1 Billet Helix is also has a thicker shaft area between journal number 1 and number 2 for increassed strength. This is different from other Billet cams available now that have a reduced diameter and resulting lower strength.

Generous radiusing of the steel where the main shaft meets the bearing journals also adds durability. We have the most material you can have in this area without risking tappet interferance on the wider CR tappet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cam2.jpg (64.3 KB, 103 views)

Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 AM   #25
Soup Nazi

Member`s Gallery
BTW, the new Billets also share a critical attribute with the cast iron Helix cams, they are still the only cams all ground on CNC cam grinders while the rest on the market are still produced on manual machines with lower part to part accuracy.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #26
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Availability?

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #27
Soup Nazi

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signature600 View Post
Availability?

Chris
I only picked them up yesterday ( 30 cams ) and we started hardness testing a few of them. We also did adcole testing. I still have a few tweaks to do and some beta testing starts this week.

I bet it will be late September before they are for sale. The price will be VERY affordable when compared to the others that are currently selling from 1200-1500 bucks. I hope to be deep sub 1K complete with everything included.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:37 AM   #28
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Awesome...Thanks Don!

I love cam threads!
Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 08-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #29
kino_fab

Name: kino_fab
Title: KTPA Tech Official
Member`s Gallery
So with the new billet cams you have in testing, will a person still need the block machined for cam bearing?

Tech Official for:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:09 AM   #30
Soup Nazi

Member`s Gallery
It will work both ways. Some Billets will be able to "drop-in" and others will require machine work to the block to install cam bushings compatable with 8620 steel.

Pricing will be higher for the "drop-in" part.

In some cases, the drop-in will be less money for a guy who's build requires a Billet cam and will not want to tear the engine down, machine the block and re-assemble the whole mess. If you are already going to rip an engine apart for a rebuild, etc. the bushing route may save some money.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #31
MAXTORQ

Name: MAXTORQ
Title: Drop by, beers on me !
Member`s Gallery
Starting to put some rocket science into them now?

What model are you using to spec your cams with?

Old 08-05-2008, 02:26 PM   #32
RedPuller

Name: RedPuller
Title: Diesel Inside
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
It will work both ways. Some Billets will be able to "drop-in" and others will require machine work to the block to install cam bushings compatable with 8620 steel.

Pricing will be higher for the "drop-in" part.

In some cases, the drop-in will be less money for a guy who's build requires a Billet cam and will not want to tear the engine down, machine the block and re-assemble the whole mess. If you are already going to rip an engine apart for a rebuild, etc. the bushing route may save some money.
I'd love to have a "drop-in" billet since finding a machine shop to bore the journals out for bushings out here is next to impossible. Hard to believe in the gargantuian city of LA that no one has the capability to line bore a Cummins block.....don't want to but I think I might wait on a new cam until those "drop-in" billets are available.

Joe

PURE DIESEL POWER
BROWN'S DIESEL
BIG POWER DIESEL
SOUTH BEND CLUTCH
GENO'S GARAGE
ARP

Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #33
Fletcher

Name: Fletcher
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
The F1 Billet Helix is also has a thicker shaft area between journal number 1 and number 2 for increassed strength. This is different from other Billet cams available now that have a reduced diameter and resulting lower strength.

Generous radiusing of the steel where the main shaft meets the bearing journals also adds durability. We have the most material you can have in this area without risking tappet interferance on the wider CR tappet.
!!!! They're all like that, My cams are melted down, scaffold of contaminates, then electrode-oscilations stiffens the shaft as it's showerd w/ H-13 aloieds. Then, the cam is wiped off, laid onto padding and located next to a television set. BTW ; my cam can beat yours up

Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #34
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokem View Post
Have you ever even installed an aftermarket camshaft? I am guessing with your unlimited knowledge that you have not.
Probably does 3 installs daily. Hes a "doer not a talker"

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM   #35
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
Probably does 3 installs daily. Hes a "doer not a talker"
a thousand B series aftermarket cam installs a year?!?! I can't imagine the total number of aftermarket cams sold/installed each year amounts to much more than that (IF that!)

Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #36
BluegrassDiesel

Name: BluegrassDiesel
Title: UK2K!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing View Post
a thousand B series aftermarket cam installs a year?!?! I can't imagine the total number of aftermarket cams sold/installed each year amounts to much more than that (IF that!)
My post was meant to be sarcastic

SHOP ONLINE @ http://WWW.SHOPBLUEGRASS.COM

97 DodgePPL Limited Pro Stock "The Crippler"
09 3500 GMC CCDually
05 Silverado SS

Old 08-05-2008, 08:33 PM   #37
Jim Fulmer

Name: Jim Fulmer
Member`s Gallery
This thread is the best, so much bull****, so many facts, so much smoke and mirrors.

Jim

Old 08-05-2008, 08:56 PM   #38
Scooter's Roofing

Name: Scooter's Roofing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddybear View Post
My post was meant to be sarcastic
sorry, my detector got broken earlier when I got the call that I get to get on a helicopter tomorrow AM

Old 08-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #39
Big Swole

Name: Big Swole
Title: MegaInterceptor
Member`s Gallery
Sorry for the quick little high jack, but I was wondering what a Cummins cam install normal runs Labor wise???

What's the average dollar amount charged in labor for a complete install?? I just don't wanna get taken when I decide to have mine done... Thanks
-2006 Honda S2000 - SOS Supercharged - 397 whp - Silverstone Metallic
-2016 RAM 2500 MegaCab Diesel - Silver (Tuned)
-HERS
-2019 718 Boxster S - Miami Blue 6MT, Cobb Tune, Soul, Ohlins,
-2014 958.1 Cayenne S - Umber Metallic / Luxor Beige
-2013 Honda Civic S.i.Coupe - 6MT

Old 08-05-2008, 10:43 PM   #40
Mike D

Name: Mike D
Title: Ctrl - Alt - Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Swole View Post
Sorry for the quick little high jack, but I was wondering what a Cummins cam install normal runs Labor wise???

What's the average dollar amount charged in labor for a complete install?? I just don't wanna get taken when I decide to have mine done... Thanks
I think a fair price is some where around one case and a quart. If you finish both you'll probably be dealing with one of those incomplete half installs.

It took 7 hours to do a cam install and springs on my truck.

Closed Thread