Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 PM   #221
BlackSkyRacing

Name: BlackSkyRacing
Title: Living Under a Rock
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12valve View Post
Do you have a closeup pic or vid of the setup?
The new vid on YouTube? Do you use the electric actuator there?
No new videos yet, gotta wait till I get home, I'm still in Florida on my Honeymoon... Lucky enough to be able to get a little time on the computer But don't worry, that's not a bad thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dodge View Post
What are the wheel sizes on this 551? And what kind of app. would a guy find it on?
I do believe they are a 71 or 72mm inducer wheel with a 108mm exducer. I cannot remember the exact specs on the turbine, but I remember them being something like 86/74. I'll have to look for the posts with those specs. But the housing closes down pretty tight (probably about 5cm or less) and is 31cm when fully open.

IIRC they come on the new ISX engines

08 QCSB 4x4 stock (ish) - 68RFE parts test pig

49 Dodge 2.6 pulling project "Gold Digger"

Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #222
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSkyRacing View Post
I do believe they are a 71 or 72mm inducer wheel with a 108mm exducer. I cannot remember the exact specs on the turbine, but I remember them being something like 86/74. I'll have to look for the posts with those specs. But the housing closes down pretty tight (probably about 5cm or less) and is 31cm when fully open.

IIRC they come on the new ISX engines
Sounds close to what I remember from mine...housing closes a LOT!!

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-05-2010, 06:25 PM   #223
12valve

Name: 12valve
Title: Diesel Boy
Member`s Gallery
NP man! enjoy the honeymoon!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #224
kazairl

Name: kazairl
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Ok question, Does anyone else have an outlet flange like this? Overall diameter is about 4" but it isn't flat. Rather it has a slight taper and a step in the middle. Also there is a ledge that extends into the air stream about .250. I can't imagine that being good for air flow.

Anyone see a problem with me machining that ledge out and then flattening the face to accept an hx40 flange? Probably won't take out the step. Just straighten up the tapered part. Or does anybody know what flange this is? Right now my truck has an HE351 flange so it has to be changed regardless. The is on an HE431. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (29.6 KB, 33 views)

Old 01-23-2010, 07:23 AM   #225
Signature600

Name: Signature600
Title: THA MAN!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazairl View Post
Ok question, Does anyone else have an outlet flange like this? Overall diameter is about 4" but it isn't flat. Rather it has a slight taper and a step in the middle. Also there is a ledge that extends into the air stream about .250. I can't imagine that being good for air flow.

Anyone see a problem with me machining that ledge out and then flattening the face to accept an hx40 flange? Probably won't take out the step. Just straighten up the tapered part. Or does anybody know what flange this is? Right now my truck has an HE351 flange so it has to be changed regardless. The is on an HE431. Thanks.
Snedge = Jeff @ Mumau Diesel can get you one

Chris

THANKS TO:
Tim Barber @ TRE Diesel
Jeff Mumau @ Mumau Diesel Service
Rip @ Source Automotive
Don Thuren @ ThurenFab Suspension
Columbus Diesel Supply

Old 01-24-2010, 09:39 PM   #226
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazairl View Post

Looks awful familiar... Mine had that protrusion in the exhaust outlet too I just torched it out and cleaned it up with a carbide quick. An HX40 flange will fit without removing the step, but the vband clamp won't work too good though unless you grind the housing flange a little thinner. Otherwise I guess there is a special downpipe flange and clamp.

On an update, I finally bumped my timing now that I am home from Florida... Stock timing had slipped to 10* from 11.5 so I bumped it to 18* as suggested by a few different people that think 160/175 pumps like a little more timing. It didn't change the low end much (though I chalk that up to the VGT) or cold starting, but HOLY CRAP does it pull hard up top now. That and EGTs top out at 1250* instead of 1700+

I also finally set up a dyno appointment for the 29th. So I'll probably be posting up some video/pics of the pull(s) and of my new set-up since I will have time to do so afterward I don't expect much over 400hp (though 375 won't surprise me), but I'm definitely curious to see where my torque peaks at

Old 01-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #227
shortbusdriver

Name: shortbusdriver
Title: this guy
Member`s Gallery
thats gonna be a fun day for sure on the 29th

Old 01-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #228
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbusdriver View Post
thats gonna be a fun day for sure on the 29th
That really sucks that I couldn't reschedule so you could come with after class...

Anyways, I started a thread in the Dyno forum with some graphs, so I won't repost... (finally) Hit the dyno for the first time... - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

I was impressed considering the low budget build I have; $200 turbo and a set of $200 nozzles and the rest is free (enginewise anyway)... Only hit 1250* and made 39psi of boost, so I feel they got all they could out of it since that's what I hit in OD on the street. But that also makes me hopeful that I can hit 500 #2 only before sending the turbo to II for a 66/65/VGT conversion

But nearly 900 ft-lbs confirmed at the rear wheels really makes me worry about my poor stock input So a billet input is priority #1 right now.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:29 PM   #229
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Here's the two videos I managed to get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmrT...eature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOzWA...eature=channel

Old 02-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #230
12valve

Member`s Gallery
Thx for posting the videos! How does that actuator work for ya?
can you adjust it by small increments?
Is is pretty powerfull as to compress the spring inside the w/g actuator?
thx!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #231
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Thx for posting the videos! How does that actuator work for ya? can you adjust it by small increments? Is is pretty powerfull as to compress the spring inside the w/g actuator? thx!
I can indeed adjust it on the fly in small increments. If you look at my dyno sheet you will see a difference of 80ft-lbs of torque between the first pull and the last one @ 1800... That`s because I bumped my switch a couple times to close up the housing sice I wasn`t 100% happy with the spoolup on the first run.

I`ll have to get a video of my linear actuator moving from EB to full open against the back stop

Old 02-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #232
12valve

Member`s Gallery
ah i see! I'd still like to try a linear actuator on mine...

yeah a vid would be great!

I forgot on which thread drive pressure was being discussed, well i saw a video on youtube of a 6.7 truck with a drive pressure gauge, with Exhaust brake engaged it went to 56 psi.
I believe a 12v should run some 60#Valve springs?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #233
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
ah i see! I'd still like to try a linear actuator on mine... yeah a vid would be great! I forgot on which thread drive pressure was being discussed, well i saw a video on youtube of a 6.7 truck with a drive pressure gauge, with Exhaust brake engaged it went to 56 psi. I believe a 12v should run some 60#Valve springs?
I`ll have 60# springs soon enough as those are needed for 4k governor springs My EB as of right now only makes 10psi of drive pressure since that`s where my WG actuator ends up limiting it... To get more I`ll have to put some sort of valve in the line going to the WG acuator. That way it will hold the collar shut instead of regulate it like it does now.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #234
12valve

Member`s Gallery
So are you using drive pressure for the Wg actuator?
otherwise i wouldnt understand why it would be regulating..

does it work better than boost?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #235
Trapper

Name: Trapper
Title: Hater
Member`s Gallery
I really can't wait to find a 451 now.

Old 02-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #236
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
So are you using drive pressure for the Wg actuator? otherwise i wouldnt understand why it would be regulating.. does it work better than boost?
Sorry, the "update" post about my switching to drive pressure was a little while ago... I really like using drive pressure, no matter what I cannot choke the engine out since if there is a prolonged DP spike the housing opens enough to let it breath. There is no delay in the housing if I adjust it too small, just a little more turbine noise than normal. Having the linear acuator is nice for finding the sweet spot though
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
I really can't wait to find a 451 now.
I know, I`m rather excited about the fact that S300 shafts and wheels will fit with little modification... Inudustrial Injections is pretty sure we can fit a 66mm comp and a 65mm turbine wheel in my frame... Some of the more common 431/451 frames might be able to handle a 68mm turbine!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #237
12valve

Member`s Gallery
so my 431 will accept a bigger wheel too?

it has been lying in the garage since i got it...

Old 02-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #238
BlackSkyRacing

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
so my 431 will accept a bigger wheel too? it has been lying in the garage since i got it...
It should, IIRC you said the inducer on the turbine wheel was 76mm? The S300 wheel measures 74/65 so It will fit. I wish I had a 431 with the 80/67 wheel because the 79/68 S300 wheel would be less likely to surge with a 66mm wheel...Kinda has me thinking not to go any bigger than a 64. Or just say screw it leave it alone and build twins.

I`m just torn, because a single would allow me to pull at local pulls, but it`s going to cost $1k (or more) to have the work done vs less than $400 for a twins set-up if I fab my own with a salvage yard primary.

Closed Thread