2.5 puller project

Really sounds like "base mechanical" timing then, possibly low compression. I haven't read your whole thread so sorry but how did you degree your camshaft?

Really sounds like "base mechanical" timing then, possibly low compression. I haven't read your whole thread so sorry but how did you degree your camshaft?
Degree wheel, needle gauge to verify...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a compression test with a proper gauge and adapter would help a lot right now.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Is this not a new build? Or the bottom end has lots of miles on it? Just wondering how it could have low compression unless a mistake was made during piston/ring assy'?

Also are you 100% sure of your ability to properly degree a cam per mfg specs?

You did put the copper washers under the injectors and you know that they are sealing against them?

Just throwing out possible scenarios...

Is this not a new build? Or the bottom end has lots of miles on it? Just wondering how it could have low compression unless a mistake was made during piston/ring assy'?

Also are you 100% sure of your ability to properly degree a cam per mfg specs?

You did put the copper washers under the injectors and you know that they are sealing against them?

Just throwing out possible scenarios...

Everything new internally, has brand new washers, and yes I had a friend, a diesel mechanic, help me with cam install as well as the entire motor build, to verify i did it correctly,

and if rolled to TDC the valves are closed as they should be with the piston at the highest point...

Oo and the rings were installed in a triangle shape, but it passes a leak down test, so I don't think it's the rings...

Any chance you left something in the intake tack to block air flow? That would explain good leak down with bad compression and no start with ether.

How are you verifying pump timing? Are you flow timing going off port closure or using the pump pin? By the sounds of it your 180 off. Also, on the cranking and burning starters, run as many clean grounds to the block that you can, the closer to the starter the better.

Last edited:
How are you verifying pump timing? By the sounds of it your 180 off. Also, on the cranking and burning starters, run as many clean grounds to the block that you can, the closer to the starter the better.
Pump is internally pinned to 25... verified that it hasn't slipped by front cover removal twice, now I have put a paint mark on the pump snout across the gear to make sure it doesn't slip

Pump is internally pinned to 25... verified that it hasn't slipped by front cover removal twice, now I have put a paint mark on the pump snout across the gear to make sure it doesn't slip

I would double check by flow timing the pump off port closure #1.

I would double check by flow timing the pump off port closure #1.
I'll get out there this weekend hopefully and try again.. I'll check this out, along with the other ideas, hopefully we can figure it out...

No idea what did it, nothing changed, but on attempt 57 or better and 2 starters later it finally runs!

Things to address:

Oil leak out of waterman mount (suggestions?)
Get drive shafts made ( anybody have the lengths? )
Wire up everything
Install/ fabricate another crank case vent- possibly on the pump gear cover, drill/tap a hole etc...
Get brakes figured out, installed

One step closer though!

Things to address:

Wire up everything
Install/ fabricate another crank case vent- possibly on the pump gear cover, drill/tap a hole etc...

One step closer though!

I used rtv around my waterman mount, and have you seen the valve cover breather? It's two valve covers attached and there's a breather in between them.

Things to address:

Wire up everything

One step closer though!

For venting I use a stock tappet cover, a large breather off the timing cover infront of the inj. Pump gear, and I drilled and tapped valve cover #1 and put a Pvc 90* to barb fitting for either 1" or 1.25" plastic hose and drop it above the front axle. Granted I've only made 4 runs with it but I have no issues with the stock tappet cover gasket.

And I second Josh on the RTV around the Waterman

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I have 4 breathers on mine, you can't have too many on a pull truck. Two on the tappet cover, one on the timing cover, and one on the valve cover. $.02

Awesome! Glad to hear it.....fixed itself? Lol

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
Yea, honestly... I have thought it over multiple times, and I have no idea why it started lol... but I'm glad it did! Matter of factly, we had given up essentially and it was the last attempt and she fired! Lol

Back