Clutch that can haul loads and clamp full boost shifts

mhuppertz

I am finally looking for a new clutch, the LUK Gold still had good friction, but I think the pressure plate has issues because I can't hardly get it in and out of gear, guessing something is warped or bent.
To be fair I have drag raced this clutch a few times and speed shifted it under boost quite a few times, although it would only clamp 1-2 then 2-3 before not wanting to clamp without a little lift.
I need a clutch that will handle abuse consistently and still allow me to haul heavy on occasion.
Looking for personal experience advice. I am nervous about South Bend, and there are a lot of less expensive solutions that look pretty good, but I need some real world advice. It's a big expense, can't afford to get it wrong.
Thanks much for any insight!
​​​​​​​NV4500

I am finally looking for a new clutch, the LUK Gold still had good friction, but I think the pressure plate has issues because I can't hardly get it in and out of gear, guessing something is warped or bent.
To be fair I have drag raced this clutch a few times and speed shifted it under boost quite a few times, although it would only clamp 1-2 then 2-3 before not wanting to clamp without a little lift.
I need a clutch that will handle abuse consistently and still allow me to haul heavy on occasion.
Looking for personal experience advice. I am nervous about South Bend, and there are a lot of less expensive solutions that look pretty good, but I need some real world advice. It's a big expense, can't afford to get it wrong.
Thanks much for any insight!
​​​​​​​NV4500
Regardless of what clutch you install that transmission isn't going to shift quickly or withstand that abuse for long. If you like drag racing and towing build a solid auto. But if you're stuck on a manual south bend and valair both make solid double discs. They both chatter a bit but they are strong and will push the failure point further down the line...probably strip 3rd gear next.

I had a south bend 3250 (I think is what it was called years ago) and it held up great to a LOT of abuse and pulling.

Southbend or valair ceramic dual discs work good, shift speed is always a issue with the manuals that you can’t really get around

I ran a clutchmasters dual disc with a aluminum flywheel and the lighter mass definitely helped shift speed, it’s a pricey clutch though and I haven’t tested their new version

Would love to see valair or SB come out with a aluminum flywheel

Another option is SPEC clutch, seen them on summit but I haven’t found anyone running one.
You’ll run into reliability issues with the nv4500 when you start going over 500hp, I’d recommend switching to a NV5600 as soon as you’re able

They're both weak transmissions over 350 hp.
I have broken so many I lost count. Run a single disk for fast shifting. Good luck

I wasn't dishing out what valair and sb wanted for a slow shifting dual disc. I went with a Sachs ceramic for 250 bucks off rock auto and it's held up to some pretty good abuse so far and shifts quick in my zf6. The only downside is it's grabby so I start off in 1st gear, bucks pretty hard taking off in 2nd where as the organic I had didn't but it also didn't hold any power. This will be my last manual trans, there great for reliability but man are they slow

I’d recommend switching to a NV5600 as soon as you’re able

:umno: That's just flat out a poor recommendation; sorry. The NV5600 is the worst transmission I've ever had and I'm including everything on that. Trucks, cars, lawnmowers, you name it.

Another vote for going auto.

If you want to stay with the 4500, I pulled my twin disc and went to a SB ConFE on my 24v. Never went back and pulled the trans out ALOT bc it was shit. Was somewhere between 450-500hp.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Back