Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 2007.5-2013 6.7L
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #1
mikmaze

Name: mikmaze
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
what to watch for on 2008 6.7

thinking of getting another diesel, can't deal with the lack of torque/ lack of mpg anymore........ top 5 or so things to watch for on the 2008?

any quick easy tips on deletes?

just kicking tires as I see one with 72k mils on it for sale near me.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:23 PM   #2
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmaze View Post
thinking of getting another diesel, can't deal with the lack of torque/ lack of mpg anymore........ top 5 or so things to watch for on the 2008?

any quick easy tips on deletes?

just kicking tires as I see one with 72k mils on it for sale near me.

Gawddammit i fkn knew it!!!!

Old 05-03-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
I bought my 08 with just under 100k miles, it's over 230k now. Been more reliable than even my old 12v's.

It was still emission intact when I bought it. Only thing I've done is replace the clutch, and frt brake pads since I bought it.

Old 05-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #4
bigstacks95

Name: bigstacks95
Title: Diesel Doc
Member`s Gallery
They are great trucks. I think the 03-09 Rams were some of the best trucks ever built. Especially after you make it "off road." It looks like you're in Jersey. Contact Michael Garofalo for tuning. Probably wont see much info posted here.

58 Dodge Power Wagon 3.0 Limited Pro Stock diesel pulling truck

2020 Ram 3500 HO/Aisin Laramie/night tow rig

Old 05-04-2020, 08:10 AM   #5
mikmaze

Name: mikmaze
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for the comments so far guys

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Old 05-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
cerickson

Name: cerickson
Title: fullpull108
Member`s Gallery
My 08 hasn't given me any problems. Got it with 115k miles and now has 142k miles. In the shop getting a clutch installed. Other than clutch no issues at all.

Mine: 2008 Dodge 3500 megacab 4x4 drw 6 SPD stick. Anarchy EFI, Flo Pro egr delete, 5" straight pipe, Edge cts2

Wifes: 2006 Dodge 3500 megacab 4X4 drw goerend auto, 4 inch straight pipe, S&B cai, FASS 150 pump, EFI live by Anarchy

Old 05-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #7
RacinDuallie

Name: RacinDuallie
Title: Black Sheep Racing
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstacks95 View Post
They are great trucks. I think the 03-09 Rams were some of the best trucks ever built. Especially after you make it "off road." It looks like you're in Jersey. Contact Michael Garofalo for tuning. Probably wont see much info posted here.
I have another guy in Port Jervis.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
08's are great. If you get the 68rfe, you'll want to look at updating the VB (in 2010 they anodized it with some other updates/fixes), but they're pretty happy with deletes and a small tune.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
Mudn_1

Name: Mudn_1
Title: Sweet Home
Member`s Gallery
-Coolant Pressure.
-TIPM Issues.
-If emissions are intact, take a quick look at the rockers through the oil fill to make sure they arent gunked up.
-Make sure exhaust brake functions, as no function is a typical sign of a failing turbo actuator

Old 05-08-2020, 10:00 AM   #10
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Bought a used '09 with 17K on it. Deleted it immediately. Around 160K now. Tow heavy at maybe once a month, 20-30K gross. 68RFE. Running a minimax tune with OD tune. Love it other than the fact that I get a DPF full CEL about every 6 months and I just reload the tune and it goes away again. No major issues other than the lining coming out of the power steering pressure line and the drivers seat being a complete POS. If it's well taken care of I see no reason to run from it. If you tow heavy, just lock it in 5th.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 05-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #11
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jory Exotic View Post
Bought a used '09 with 17K on it. Deleted it immediately. Around 160K now. Tow heavy at maybe once a month, 20-30K gross. 68RFE. Running a minimax tune with OD tune. Love it other than the fact that I get a DPF full CEL about every 6 months and I just reload the tune and it goes away again. No major issues other than the lining coming out of the power steering pressure line and the drivers seat being a complete POS. If it's well taken care of I see no reason to run from it. If you tow heavy, just lock it in 5th.
Very similar experiences with my '10. MiniMaxx Deleted w/ OD tuning. Get the DPF warning every six months. Tows awesome. I just run it and do maintenance.

I forgot all about the power steering liner delamination thing. Is that a thing on 4th gens to?

Old 05-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
Very similar experiences with my '10. MiniMaxx Deleted w/ OD tuning. Get the DPF warning every six months. Tows awesome. I just run it and do maintenance.

I forgot all about the power steering liner delamination thing. Is that a thing on 4th gens to?
Interesting to hear someone else has the DFP crap going on. I wish there was a fix....meaning a new tune to load...not update the entire thing to something new for a grand.

I've never heard of the lining issue with the 4th gens....but that'd doesn't mean it won't happen. I just took the fitting off, pulled the lining out, and hooked it back up. Been running like that for over 50K.

Last edited by 4x4dually; 05-08-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Old 05-08-2020, 02:21 PM   #13
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Interesting to hear someone else has the DFP crap going on. I wish there was a fix....meaning a new tune to load...not update the entire thing to something new for a grand.
Yeah, I have the most recent tune too. I've tried a couple things too because I hate it and it takes an ~hour to reflash the truck. I tried some ebay thing plugged into the wiring harness to simulate the DPF signal, and I've tried just letting it yell at me for about a month to see if it'd go away. No dice. Just have to reflash.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #14
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I have the most recent tune too. I've tried a couple things too because I hate it and it takes an ~hour to reflash the truck. I tried some ebay thing plugged into the wiring harness to simulate the DPF signal, and I've tried just letting it yell at me for about a month to see if it'd go away. No dice. Just have to reflash.
Interesting. From what I understand, the tune I'm running was mostly done by Milliken right before he left H&S. I've messaged him a few times with no reply. I've tried to catch him at a race or two and discuss what could be causing it but since NHRDA stopped having races in OK and I haven't been out much in the last year or so, I haven't seen him in a few years. I figured he'd be the one to know what to look for if anyone would.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:13 AM   #15
CorneliusRox

Member`s Gallery
--Sorry everyone for the slight derail on this thread--

Quote:
Interesting. From what I understand, the tune I'm running was mostly done by Milliken right before he left H&S. I've messaged him a few times with no reply. I've tried to catch him at a race or two and discuss what could be causing it but since NHRDA stopped having races in OK and I haven't been out much in the last year or so, I haven't seen him in a few years. I figured he'd be the one to know what to look for if anyone would.
That makes a lot of sense then. After OD tuning, when it's under 32F and I'm at light throttle cruising, I'll get a hiccup on occasion where it feels like the trans goes into Neutral for ~150ms or so. I tried chasing it down with hard parts, but then started reaching out to buddies with similar trucks. Everyone with H&S OD tuning had the same thing on occasion. One friend has a '16 DRW with an Suncoast "m3ga" transmission and a Milliken tune in it and it also does this.
There's just got to be a certain case in the tuning that makes this happen.
It kind of drives me crazy. I've thought about tossing a resistor into the AIT sensor track to make the truck think it's above 32F all winter since it starts as soon as it gets below that.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #16
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
--Sorry everyone for the slight derail on this thread--
Ya, it kinda turned left. Sorry yall.

However, it does appear that Ryan is the common denominator.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:50 AM   #17
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
2 things I recommend:
A large fire extinguisher and keep an eye on the condition of the front driveshaft.

Fire extinguisher, for the obvious, famous Dodge self-igniting wiring.
Front driveshaft because they like to come apart and explode the t-case and take out wiring and fuel lines which, in some cases, involves the fire extinguisher.

Mark.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #18
4x4dually

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nixon View Post
Front driveshaft because they like to come apart and explode the t-case and take out wiring and fuel lines which, in some cases, involves the fire extinguisher.
Free-Spin hubs. One of the best options on these trucks. Front shaft can't explode if it isn't turning 99% of the time.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:09 AM   #19
Mark Nixon

Name: Mark Nixon
Title: No Savior among the flesh
Member`s Gallery
Even so, I can't tell you how many times I've been the source for t-cases, front driveshafts, harnesses (partial or complete) and transmissions to fix those explosions.

The cases on nv271/3s are notoriously susceptible to fracturing, I can only imagine a vibrating driveshaft exacerbating the issue.

Mark.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #20
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
So to avoid the front driveshaft issues just change the ujoints or? Is it a mileage or age thing?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Closed Thread