Rear End

Dougal

Hey guys need some help with this.

I have a 85 GMC 3/4 4x4 that I'm building slowly. I have a 12V that I'm going to put in it once it's built. Going to build the 12V to be around 900hp.

So here is my question! I have a full float 14 bolt SRW axle in the truck with 4.10 and a Detroit in it. Will this axle hold up to this motor or do I need a dana 80? Has anyone ran a 14 bolt in a tuck with that much power? I know in the off-road world that 14 bolt is the way to go, but new to the whole pulling world. Truck will be driven on the road and to sled pull a bit.

Thanks for your help with this.
Mac

^^^I agree, you would probably be much better off swapping to a d80 now and being able to build it up as needed whereas the 14 bolt is a respectable axle, it won't have as many options to adapt and take more power and abuse in the future. Imo. Parts are going to break plain and simple.....

Yea you guys are probably right about just swapping a dana 80. The 14 bolt is a good axle but just not in this application. Awesome thanks for your help with this guys it's greatly appreciated.

I'd run the 14 bolt until it breaks. Some guys swap there D70s to 14 bolts and don't have problems, but pulling does break a lot of ****. The 14b is a great axle, cheap, 3 pinion bearings, and has lots of aftermarket support, better than the dana 70 and 80, just not pulling specific. But that's just my opinion, it's your money and your possible downtime.

Yea I might as well leave it in there until it blows and then look at doing a 80. The 14 bolt is already built with a Detroit and yukon 4.10's. The guys that swapped to 14 bolts, how much power where they putting through it?

I'd run the 14 bolt until it breaks. Some guys swap there D70s to 14 bolts and don't have problems, but pulling does break a lot of ****. The 14b is a great axle, cheap, 3 pinion bearings, and has lots of aftermarket support, better than the dana 70 and 80, just not pulling specific. But that's just my opinion, it's your money and your possible downtime.

The 14b is better than the Dana 70 IMO but does not compare with the Dana 80. I realize the 14 has the 3rd pinion support but look at the other numbers.

14b ring gear is 10.5, D80 is 11.25

Factory axles are available in 35 and 37 spline for the D80, 14B is 30 (I realize 40's are available)

14B has a 30 spline pinion, 80 has 37.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, but this is my basic understanding that the D80 is a far superior axle.

Yea I might as well leave it in there until it blows and then look at doing a 80. The 14 bolt is already built with a Detroit and yukon 4.10's. The guys that swapped to 14 bolts, how much power where they putting through it?

The 14 bolt will hold up fine on the road, but probably won't make it one pass down the track. The detroit lockers for 14 bolts are junk. I would sell the 14 bolt while it's still in one piece and worth something. Then put the money towards a d80 and build it up with a spool or air locker and 37 spline axles.
The d80 has a lot better up grades that will out last any built 14 bolt.

The 14b is better than the Dana 70 IMO but does not compare with the Dana 80. I realize the 14 has the 3rd pinion support but look at the other numbers.

14b ring gear is 10.5, D80 is 11.25

Factory axles are available in 35 and 37 spline for the D80, 14B is 30 (I realize 40's are available)

14B has a 30 spline pinion, 80 has 37.

Please correct me if I'm wrong anywhere, but this is my basic understanding that the D80 is a far superior axle.

All correct. The D80 is absolutely a better axle. I just wanted to point out the 14b isn't complete junk even though it was never offered behind a respectable diesel.

These are all good points. The 14 bolt is a very respectable axle, most of my back ground is in off-road. The 14 bolt is the best bang for your buck and more and more people are use them and even making them into fronts. Some of the main reasons people are using them is they are cheap and strong and the axle shaft can twist 180 deg. I know that this is an off-road site that's why I'm asking the guys that know because I don't!
I appreciate all the info that you guys are give me it's greatly appreciated!

Back