Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2017, 01:33 AM   #13101
SmokinCAT
 
SmokinCAT's Avatar

Name: SmokinCAT
Title: Cheap and Easy.
Status: Here
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hillsboro, Oh
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
How is the stock timing on the 531? Slow enough for some more fuel without rattling the heads off?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yeah. Set at .070"

Always springs, I took almost 7/16" worth of shims out of my competition pump when I swapped to a proper spring and didn't lose rpm.

I like having a pressure gauge, but once set I probably wouldn't be running one on a road truck, I use an autometer 2 5/8" liquid filled gauge to 600psi, they offer 200 and 400, a road truck should never see 400.

Part number 144478 is the spring I use, put it in with very few shims, prolly drop down to a #15 button while you are in there.

Oh and for responsiveness back the android screw out some, it is right above the throttle shaft behind the tin plate.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:52 AM   #13102
chevota84
 
chevota84's Avatar

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prineville, OR
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinCAT View Post
Yeah. Set at .070"

Always springs, I took almost 7/16" worth of shims out of my competition pump when I swapped to a proper spring and didn't lose rpm.

I like having a pressure gauge, but once set I probably wouldn't be running one on a road truck, I use an autometer 2 5/8" liquid filled gauge to 600psi, they offer 200 and 400, a road truck should never see 400.

Part number 144478 is the spring I use, put it in with very few shims, prolly drop down to a #15 button while you are in there.

Oh and for responsiveness back the android screw out some, it is right above the throttle shaft behind the tin plate.
Perfect. I'll give it a shot when I get the pyro in. Do you think the 15 button will be too much pressure for the stock injectors?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
99 Dodge 2500 with stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 01:53 AM   #13103
chevota84
 
chevota84's Avatar

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prineville, OR
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,378
Can mumau get those parts? I don't know any cummins shops around here I trust for old stuff

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
99 Dodge 2500 with stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #13104
RockinRam96
 
RockinRam96's Avatar

Name: RockinRam96
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shortsville, NY
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
what's your opinion on shims vs springs for the governor?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
A spring will be much easier to put back together when adding or taking away shims when the pump is on the truck. It is a pain in the a$$ to get the spring in, a big stack of shims and the snap ring back into the pump.

I had one more shim than I could get stacked up on my pinky finger. That one shim was always falling off and getting in the way! Then add twisting around the frame rail and operating a set of tiny snap ring pliers. Makes for a lot of fun. I found it easier to pull the pump off the truck every time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
Can mumau get those parts? I don't know any cummins shops around here I trust for old stuff

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I will have to check but, I may have a #15 button and a gasket for the cover if you'd like them.
__________________
03 Dodge
1986 Freightliner FLC 12064T Caterpillar 3406B
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #13105
chevota84
 
chevota84's Avatar

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prineville, OR
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,378
That'd be great, but don't put too much effort into it because I need to order the spring anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
99 Dodge 2500 with stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:35 PM   #13106
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,129
I know c-12's are good engines... however what's the low downs on the 13's?
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupdawg View Post
Been there done that, bought a tee shirt, and threw a big girl a pudding cup
RIP Dex KCCO
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:45 PM   #13107
chevota84
 
chevota84's Avatar

Name: chevota84
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prineville, OR
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 4,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRE View Post
I know c-12's are good engines... however what's the low downs on the 13's?
In my limited experience, they make less power, have more issues and get the same mileage as a 15 liter. Not even close to series 60 either

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________
99 Dodge 2500 with stuff
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 PM   #13108
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,129
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevota84 View Post
In my limited experience, they make less power, have more issues and get the same mileage as a 15 liter. Not even close to series 60 either

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk


I've been offered a decent deal on one I have been around a pretty fair amount. Cat warranty till 18 some time. New 13, new rears, ujoints, kingpins, 265wb, low air rear, etc.
Its in a 386. I know they aren't the "coolest" trucks but I've kinda grown to like them with some touches. Different kinda cool. I just don't know much about the 13's. I know they seem to be more troublesome than the rest. This is truck number 2 of his that has a 13 and he doesn't seem to have many issues.
I'm just trying to find a reliable truck that I can trust but I'm also leaning toward trying to make it the "last" truck I buy as well. I doubt that truck would be a 386.
Just wasn't sure what kinda power you can get, how troublesome, trust worthy they are.
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupdawg View Post
Been there done that, bought a tee shirt, and threw a big girl a pudding cup
RIP Dex KCCO

Last edited by BRE; 07-10-2017 at 11:15 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #13109
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,413
Don't touch a C13 unless they have oil records, an overhaul documented with documentation proving it has the updated oil pump and updated oil filter base. Also the lifters are done at 650k, and the cams are right behind them.

Basically, don't buy one unless you plan you overhaul it and make the needed changes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Google site:competitiondiesel.com for the gnawlidge.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
96 Ext Cab Ram 2500 Long Bed, Test Pig/Science Experiment
- Big Nasty
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #13110
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Don't touch a C13 unless they have oil records, an overhaul documented with documentation proving it has the updated oil pump and updated oil filter base. Also the lifters are done at 650k, and the cams are right behind them.

Basically, don't buy one unless you plan you overhaul it and make the needed changes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk


It had a platinum done in Kansas at Cat right before he bought it and he has the paperwork. Would a platinum include the changes you mentioned?
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupdawg View Post
Been there done that, bought a tee shirt, and threw a big girl a pudding cup
RIP Dex KCCO
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:50 AM   #13111
Rig Wrench
 
Rig Wrench's Avatar

Name: Rig Wrench
Title: Wannabe Tech
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the ditch
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 548
Not too shaby
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170711_080701.jpg (300.4 KB, 0 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #13112
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,413
Not unless they saw a failure. I'm not sure if the updated oil pump is supplied in the platinum kits or not. The filter base changes would not be included, and the cam and lifters would only have been done if they were failed at the time of overhaul, or asked for. The OPT sheet would have the cam and lifters checked as replaced if they were done.

Any of us with cat log-ons should be able to see the enrollment sheet.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Google site:competitiondiesel.com for the gnawlidge.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
96 Ext Cab Ram 2500 Long Bed, Test Pig/Science Experiment
- Big Nasty
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #13113
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Not unless they saw a failure. I'm not sure if the updated oil pump is supplied in the platinum kits or not. The filter base changes would not be included, and the cam and lifters would only have been done if they were failed at the time of overhaul, or asked for. The OPT sheet would have the cam and lifters checked as replaced if they were done.

Any of us with cat log-ons should be able to see the enrollment sheet.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk


What do you need from me to look at that stuff?
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupdawg View Post
Been there done that, bought a tee shirt, and threw a big girl a pudding cup
RIP Dex KCCO
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #13114
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,413
Complete SN

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Google site:competitiondiesel.com for the gnawlidge.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
96 Ext Cab Ram 2500 Long Bed, Test Pig/Science Experiment
- Big Nasty
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #13115
Feed Bunk

Name: Feed Bunk
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Nw Mo
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 227
Is there any way to put cab air ride on a kenworth with a modular 36" sleeper? ive got a buddy wanting to do it on a t8. I don't recall ever seeing one, and all the local truck shop could talk about was how smart trading to a red oval was ,blah blah rattle traps anyway. He has ag100 we put new shocks on, and I can't seem to find anything else to make it ride better.
__________________
Josh
94 F250, 12v cummins, zf5
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #13116
Ram12vcummins

Name: Ram12vcummins
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Not Here
Join Date: Mar 2015
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Bunk View Post
Is there any way to put cab air ride on a kenworth with a modular 36" sleeper? ive got a buddy wanting to do it on a t8. I don't recall ever seeing one, and all the local truck shop could talk about was how smart trading to a red oval was ,blah blah rattle traps anyway. He has ag100 we put new shocks on, and I can't seem to find anything else to make it ride better.


Have to remove rear cab mount and make a bracket that attaches bunk to cab and have it move together on bunk bags. Also have to remove front bunk mounts.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10 PM   #13117
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,129
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Here's the serial number for anyone who may be able to help a guy out.
Click the image to open in full size.

I'd show the rest of the truck but I'm afraid of getting made fun of. As of tonight, it's the truck I'll most likely try and buy unless something comes up. I'd really wish to be under the elog chit but people went stupid with truck prices and I'm not gonna pay 4 times as much for a 97 as I can for this 07.
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupdawg View Post
Been there done that, bought a tee shirt, and threw a big girl a pudding cup
RIP Dex KCCO

Last edited by BRE; 07-11-2017 at 11:13 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:37 AM   #13118
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,413
Camshaft and followers were inspected only. Both turbochargers replaced at overhaul. 48month starting Feb 2014

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Google site:competitiondiesel.com for the gnawlidge.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
96 Ext Cab Ram 2500 Long Bed, Test Pig/Science Experiment
- Big Nasty
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:11 AM   #13119
BRE
 
BRE's Avatar

Name: BRE
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southwest MO
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 12,129
Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggy238 View Post
Camshaft and followers were inspected only. Both turbochargers replaced at overhaul. 48month starting Feb 2014

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk


Anything in your notes that scares you?
Here's the oil pressures last night.
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
Rick
07 Dodge 3500 - Tow mirrors, silencer ring MIA, Spectra air filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by syrupdawg View Post
Been there done that, bought a tee shirt, and threw a big girl a pudding cup
RIP Dex KCCO

Last edited by BRE; 07-12-2017 at 09:12 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #13120
biggy238
 
biggy238's Avatar

Name: biggy238
Title: Too Much Time
Status: Here
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Just North of Wrong
Member`s Gallery
Posts: 7,413
Holy phucking hours batman.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
__________________
Google site:competitiondiesel.com for the gnawlidge.

05.5 Campanella White TDi Jetta 5spd 45.5MPG
-Little Sexy
96 Ext Cab Ram 2500 Long Bed, Test Pig/Science Experiment
- Big Nasty
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

 


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 - 2018, CompetitionDiesel.com
all information found on this site is property of www.competitiondiesel.com