Keeping my ⚧ ?

smokinVE

$$+VE=NO HP
Where’s everyone mounting their trans coolers? I got a set of PDD’s lines and a Derale “hyper-cool extreme” cooler. I had it mapped out in my head I’d mount it under the core support/bumper but once it showed up and I held it there that’s not an option. Second idea was in the drivers side under the bed at as much of an angle I can do without hanging below the frame.

Also I know this has been beaten like a dead donkey but plumbing out the factory heat exchanger? My truck never tows, I daily drive it 78 miles round trip. I load the bed with next to nothing once a year. I do live in the “greater” Phoenix AZ area so ambient temps are high. Half of my round trip is freeway the other half is surface streets. I don’t have a trans temp gauge yet (PDD is on back order til mid May, but I’ll have one once they ship)

(Mild built 47rh, normal “VE” stuff, too big Westin injectors and a heavy right foot)

I see many remote coolers stuffed under the bed somewhere. Anther VE guy on here did stuff a cooler up front somewhere, but I can't recall who or where. I doubt it was a Derale.

As for bypassing the heat exchanger, I'd say you're fine. I bypassed the one on my 05 with only the factory cooler up front cooling the trans (it's tiny). And when towing heavy in the houston heat, I was on and off the lockup switch in 1st gear to keep temps at bay. I'm mid trans cooler upgrade at the moment, keeping the heat exchanger bypassed. Plan to make a thread about the upgrade when complete.

Pervious owner has some cheap azz one stuffed under the battery tray, and of course he had some cheap battery leak onto it and the fan is locked up. He hacked the lines up very bad and they leak. I don’t think mine will fit there with how big it is without beating the inner fender out some. I’m not against cutting (hole saw) up the core support for some air flow if i can make it fit there. Guess I’ll see when it comes time to install it all.

Dunno what it’s worth but I purchased a roughly 12”x12” Derale cooler that was 1 1/4” thick P/N DER-13614. Anyways I mounted that to the intercooler towards the center of it and it fit behind the grille. I also used a Hyper Cool unit from Derale P/N DER-15840 and mounted that one towards the tail shaft of the transmission between the frame rail and it. It was a very tight fight and I doubt it would fit up in the frame rail of a stock truck. I don’t remember where the factory transmission crossmember mounts to the frame (I believe it mounts to the upper frame rail) but my truck has a big lift kit so I had to make a new mount for it. If you want pictures I can get some as an idea. My brother also has the same twin fan cooler mounted up in the bed I could try to get pictures of if needed.

Trans will run a lot cooler if you delete the transmission heater on the side of the block. You don't want your trans temp above 180-185 and engine coolant temp is 190+. You may be able to trim the plastic on the front bumper a little to fit your cooler up front, if done carefully it's not noticeable and you will get a lot of cooling from it getting the fresh air up front.

Trans will run a lot cooler if you delete the transmission heater on the side of the block. You don't want your trans temp above 180-185 and engine coolant temp is 190+.

Totally not true. My tranny temp runs 150*-170* unless I’m towing in around town traffic where I have to run unlocked. Delete it if you want, but it’s not going to make your tranny run hotter.

Totally not true. My tranny temp runs 150*-170* unless I’m towing in around town traffic where I have to run unlocked. Delete it if you want, but it’s not going to make your tranny run hotter.

Exactly, the heat exchanger on the side of the block makes the transmission temp a lot more "stable" meaning it will warm up in the winter, and stay cooler longer in the summer with it still there. Water to oil coolers are more efficient coolers that air to fluid, but obviously the engine coolant is going to heat the oil a bit if the transmission temperature is lower than the engine coolant.

If you are towing at all, I would leave the cooler...if you aren't towing ever, then you can probably get by with a good single cooler out front.
Chris

Trans will run a lot cooler if you delete the transmission heater on the side of the block. You don't want your trans temp above 180-185 and engine coolant temp is 190+. You may be able to trim the plastic on the front bumper a little to fit your cooler up front, if done carefully it's not noticeable and you will get a lot of cooling from it getting the fresh air up front.

The engine coolant temp. is only 190*F+ behind the thermostat and around the exhaust runners in the head. It’s much lower where that heat exchanger is located.

I had a ‘92 a fellow had set up for towing. It had a BD built A518, so no lockup. He had towed a full size 5th wheel all over the US and to Alaska three times. He had two coolers under the bed. Each had a temp sensor and was on their own circuit set up with temp switches where the fans would come on automatically and he could manually turn them on to get ahead of an upcoming high temp situation. His setup worked well.

:lolly: You can always rely on a few die-hards to come out and tout the benefits of the ole junk dodge transmission heater. Maybe it's great if you live in a cold environment and have trouble getting heat into the trans. But OP said he's in AZ...

Old people.....

attachment.php

Attachments

• D14EED80-488D-40C5-A9F7-5E4B15C03200.jpeg
    D14EED80-488D-40C5-A9F7-5E4B15C03200.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 0
If I owned a 3rd gen auto I'd defantly remove it.
Buddy of mine bought a new Garmon trans, week later the cooler failed and smoked it.

Last edited:
If I owned a 3rd gen auto I'd defantly remove it.
Buddy of mine bought a new Garmon trans, week later the cooler failed and smoked it.

Agreed. 3rd Gens are a known problem. 2nd Gens are pretty much bulletproof as long as you’re not in the rust belt.

We're morons again...

Chris

Ok? I was just saying that as a lengthy way to agree with someone else’s comment on how removing that heat exchanger wouldn’t make a difference. I’m pretty sure we’re on the same side of the fence. It’s not that time of the month for you again already is it? That was a bit snippy.

:lolly: You can always rely on a few die-hards to come out and tout the benefits of the ole junk dodge transmission heater. Maybe it's great if you live in a cold environment and have trouble getting heat into the trans. But OP said he's in AZ...

Ok? I was just saying that as a lengthy way to agree with someone else’s comment on how removing that heat exchanger wouldn’t make a difference. I’m pretty sure we’re on the same side of the fence. It’s not that time of the month for you again already is it? That was a bit snippy.

I was talking about the above quote that someone posted where he disagrees with our opinions....again... We absolutely agree on this topic

Chris

On my 12v swapped Ford, I have no trans/coolant heat exchanger and put a cooler in the front and a cooler under the bed with a fan on a thermostatic switch. It rarely comes on but it's there if I need it for stop and go traffic in the summer.

I need to remove that heat exchanger on my 3rd gen. How is everyone going about doing that? I might just bypass the coolant so I don't have to mess with the transmission lines.

A heat exchanger circulating hot water and located under your exhaust manifold in the hottest part of the engine compartment is great for doing one thing...putting heat in your transmission.
Can't beat a nice big oil to air heat exchanger up front getting cold air blown over it if you are looking to keep your transmission cool. Fan is a good idea if you are in a lot of slow or stop and go traffic.

Back