won't start when warmed up???!!!

strokin'_tatsch

Death Row Inmate #7
my brother has a 99' dodge 3/4 ton. it has 120hp injectors, edge comp box, cold air intake and F.A.S.S fuel pump. anyways every now and then when the truck is warmed up it won't start on the first try, but it will start on the second try. what would make it do that. we hooked up a smarty and it came up with no codes. took it to the local diesel mechanic and he said our guess was as good a his. he replaced the TPS, but that is all that he has messed with on it. someone told him it could have too much fuel pressure so he took off the fuel pump and tried to run it with just the injector pump, but i don't think that worked (i was at work when he did it so i don't know). any ideas???
thanks a lot
travis

There is a TSB on this, can't remember the number or the link to it (mine does the same crap :bang ). Also look over the fuel system for leaks etc. Oh, and running a VP 44 truck with no fuel pump?? :badidea:

can anyone post a link to the tsb or the repair of this problem? i have a friend that is truck keeps dieing. will let sit for a while and itll run... thern die. got codes for injection pump-replaced it. two weeks later fuel pump-replaced it. then had codes for cam sensor-replaced the cam and crank sensor. still does it. dunno whats wrong. but its getting really annoying.

no ideas????????? my brother found out that if the truck is hot, then it will start up everytime IF he does NOT let it glowplug. if he lets it glowplug, then it won't start. no glowplug, starts right up.

5.9's dont have glowplugs. They have an intake heater, but by you saying that I'm thinking he has too much head pressure on the injection pump. he needs to adjust the FASS to a lower pressure

wow. they don't have glowplugs. i never knew that! i don't think he knows that either. i will tell him to adjust the pump to a lower pressure and see if that helps, then i will get back to ya'll. it's wierd b/c i only does it when it's warmed up. never does it when the engine is cold

Mine has a hard start at times in the summer. Especially if it is facing downhill. I assume it is from too much head pressure. There is also a hot start reflash he can get at the dealer as well

What kind of f/p does he have. I have the same pump and I have 19 lbs all the time. I sometimes have a hard start, but it always starts. I was having problems for a while when it was cold, but that was the injectors and a tight converter, thats what I was told by some people in the know:Cheer: . I don't know of a way to adjust the fass though, might want to call them and see. Good luck.

Back