98.5 24 valve suddenly dies while driving

vaden22

This is my first post to this site guys and I have to say I am really liking this site so far. Ok now down to business!! I am needing some advice. I just recently bought this truck and from the time I got it the instrument cluster has been going crazy. Needles jump around and all the lights such as abs, brake, check engine and check gauges stay on or pop on. I took out the cluster and cleaned the board really good with electronic contact cleaner and made sure that all the connectors where right. Needles started operating better but still same problem. ON A VERY RARE OCCASION, i will be driving my truck or it will be sitting and idling and it just dies. I was driving the other day with my foot in the pedal and it just shut down while driving. pulled over on the side of the road and recycled the key. It started right back. But on 2 occasions the truck like to never have started back. What could be my problem and are the cluster and shutting off related?? PLEASE HELP GUYS CAUSE I KEEP GETTING TO MANY DIFFERENT ANSWERS AROUND HERE. Thanks*bdh*

loose grounds somewhere, check body to engine grounds, and plug together grounds by the batteries

Hey,

Thats good to look into the grounds and such, but I would get ahold of a code reader and check for codes as well. At least it will give you a peice of mind knowing there are not any codes.

oudive

Ii had the same thing happen a couple months ago. I would recommend a new timbo apps. I replaced mine and haven't had any issues since.

Hey,

Thats good to look into the grounds and such, but I would get ahold of a code reader and check for codes as well. At least it will give you a peice of mind knowing there are not any codes.

oudive

Thanks for the advice. I have had it plugged up twice now and both times i get a 1693 and 1698. From what I have read a 93 is a helper code showing that there is something wrong if nothing else pops up and 98 was showing the instrument cluster. I have checked into the clusters bc i know they are common for going out. I am just wondering if there is a sensor in the cluster board or something like that that maybe when the needles are jumping its thinking the truck is getting hot and the sensor tells the truck to shut down. Just a thought.

Ii had the same thing happen a couple months ago. I would recommend a new timbo apps. I replaced mine and haven't had any issues since.

I feel like an idiot here, but what in the world is a timbo apps.??? LOL Sorry man gonna have to break it down to hillbilly terms lol

Hey,

I am not sure about a sensor. I remember seeing something once about a way to test the cluster. Just not sure where I read it and how to do it. The apps is another good possibility.

oudive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you cleaned your battery cables and made sure they were tight? I had a loose cable on my '01 and on several occasions it suddenly shut off for a split second then immediately switched back on. Cleaned and tightened the cables and it went away.

Hey guys!!! Thanks for the timbo apps idea!! I did some research and some checking and that sounds like my problem to a t!! I am going to put in a order for one here pretty soon and i will post a update when i find out for sure if that fixes it!! Thanks guys for the help!!

vaden22
If that doesn't fix your problem visit this site:

Home Page of Mopar1973Man

This guy is a genius and if he can't solve your problem then it most likely can't be solved! :lolly: He seems too specialize in anything electrical and sensor related. He might even be on this forum, I know that he is on cummins forum and posts very regularly. I have had some buddies that have called him and he has helped them solve there problems when nobody else could. Good Luck!

Back