AN line sizes

zukgod1

Old fart
How about we get the AN sizes listed for those of us that are not AN savy.
I have wanted to know this for a long time and have never asked anyone.

Are there more?

dan

basically the AN sizes can be converted to inches by the following:

2AN = 2/16"
4AN = 4/16"
6AN = 6/16"
and so on......

There for 6AN is the same as 6/16" or 3/8" line

10AN is the same as 5/8" Line

16AN would be 1" Line

I hope this makes sense... each unit of AN would equal 1/16" in line size.....

An stands for "Army Navy Standard" and is a common system of measurement for use in anything, it is not just used for hose.

Having said that, for most folks "AN" hose and fittings are what they are most familiar with, and the # is the measurement of the fitting in 16ths IIRC. Keep in mind that JIC is the same thing as AN and is what most hydraulic shops go by. JIC and AN fittings and hose are both;

Measured in 1/16th increments, i.e., #16AN or JIC is a 1" fitting

37 degree seal to flair

And that's about all most folks need to know about the two.

So, are you REALLY confused yet??? If you aren't I can go into AN #'s for bolts and the conversions for the proper MS #'s LOL LOL

zukgod1 said:
OK Smarty how about a part # for the fitting that screws into the VP for #10AN

:bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang :bang

What in the world do you need a -10 feed for the injection pump for???
Have you ever seen the inside of an M12 x 1.5?? If you try to hog it out too much it will just weaken the fitting and it would probably collapse.
That is like running a fire house into a garden sprinkler, it just necks down to much and is a waste.
Also I have not found a -10 M12 x 1.5 ................... I have seen someone try something else, but I won't even mention it, because someone will just end up destroying their VP.

Here is a link along with part number for the fitting you should use. You can buy it thru Summit.

http://www.holley.com/9919EFGERL.asp

medium9919__.jpg

Your to good man to good.

That fitting will allow me to attach any AN fitting to it no?

I was thinking of changing everything to/from the FASS to #8AN
to be honest I just like the "Look" of the AN fittings and the larger line wont hurt anything in this case.

Thanks

dan

Last edited:
That right there is the fitting I have been needing, thanks Wyatt, the days of Banjo bolts will be over with soon :evil

That fitting will work in a VP44 and on the fuel filter canister using -8 AN line. We tap and die a stock lift pump for some applications to install AN fittings on them if we need to.
Also, if you use this fitting, you don't need to install the sealing washers. Just put some pipe dope on them.

Thanks again Wyatt, now as soon as I can finagle me some nice SS hose ends from work I'll be good to go :evil

12 x 1.5 I use a -6 you can also move that return to the front , and plug the rear . there is so little fuel moving thru it , a banjoe will work as well

Last edited:
hi all new to this have 99 4x4 swb Qcab with a cummins. no mods yet have 4 guages fuel tran, egt, bost. would like to start with removing banjo fittings replace with an fittings. what size adapters are they,fuel filter,inlet side of vp staying 3/8

bigtruck said:
hi all new to this have 99 4x4 swb Qcab with a cummins. no mods yet have 4 guages fuel tran, egt, bost. would like to start with removing banjo fittings replace with an fittings. what size adapters are they,fuel filter,inlet side of vp staying 3/8

Up to about 450HP drilled banjo bolts will work just fine with a good pusher, converting to AN all you would need are several of the 12x1.5 x#6 fittings and some make it yourself hose.

just get real retarded and go -8 feed with fuel coolers with a draw straw and -6 return with a fuel cooler! and a fast 150. is that enough?:st:

Back