Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Competition Vehicle Build Tech > Extreme Engine Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #141
Anklhs

Name: Anklhs
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Very nice setup. Good luck out there in the wild.
2005 3500 DRW Crazy Carl kit Whipple 3.3L w/s300 over s400 compounds, Suncoast Competition, Kelderman Air, Anarchy Dual CP3, Exergy, 3 Piston SSBC w/BigBites, Hellmann goodies, DC Power 270 AMP Alt, .

Old 05-01-2015, 07:39 PM   #142
Thor99

Name: Thor99
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Engine bay looks VERY neat n clean! Best of luck to you and crew.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:07 PM   #143
mpeters0991

Name: mpeters0991
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Sorry if this is a stupid question but why don't they just wet sleeve these engines from the factory. It sounds like a better setup, heck that's how all the big rig and tractor engines are done.

Also what is the purpose of adding a deck plate? Just more room for combustion?(I know this may be a stupid question as well lol)

Also congrats on the back to back wins Lavon!

Last edited by mpeters0991; 05-11-2015 at 04:10 PM.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #144
RockinRam96

Name: RockinRam96
Member`s Gallery
Cummins probably never wet sleeved them because it is cheaper not to. These were Ag and construction equipment engines before running them in pickups. So Cummins probably originally thought they'd be throw away engines. Cheaper is better.

A deck plate puts the compression and the combustion in a stronger piece of material. Cast is very brittle and doesn't do well with extreme heat cycles, cylinder pressure and temperature. The deck plate is made out of steel and is stronger and more forgiving than cast. Putting the ignition in the steel deck plate makes for an engine that will live longer at extremes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #145
DieselheaD

Name: DieselheaD
Member`s Gallery
But it's sleeved, I don't think the sleeve cares whats on the outside whether it's a cast block or steel plate surrounding it. Like lavon said earlier in the thread he disassembled a std. 6.7 and the billet rods looked beat up after multiple 2000+ ft lb abuse. What I understand is raising deck height gave the 6.7 combo better rod angles which makes life on everything much easier below the deck.

I'm done being a smartazz, drew correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:26 PM   #146
zstroken

Name: zstroken
Title: For $$$ your name here
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselheaD View Post
But it's sleeved, I don't think the sleeve cares whats on the outside whether it's a cast block or steel plate surrounding it. Like lavon said earlier in the thread he disassembled a std. 6.7 and the billet rods looked beat up after multiple 2000+ ft lb abuse. What I understand is raising deck height gave the 6.7 combo better rod angles which makes life on everything much easier below the deck.

I'm done being a smartazz, drew correct me if I'm wrong.
Hit on something with a hammer that is .125" thick, then hit on something that is 3" thick. Which do you think will take the most impact?
24V P-Pump Mafia member #1(retired)

Thanks to Mumau Diesel, Goerend Transmission, Northeast Diesel Service!

Old 05-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #147
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Compression ratio beat up the rods/bearings. Yes the sleeves care if the combustion is moved up into the deck plate. Sleeve alone still blows out.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #148
DieselheaD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post
Compression ratio beat up the rods/bearings. Yes the sleeves care if the combustion is moved up into the deck plate. Sleeve alone still blows out.

With compression ratio dropped to 15-16 would a filled 6.7 block with the same bore sleeve used in this build be as strong as a wet sleeved 6.7 with a deck plate? If money was of no concern I would go the deck plate route without a doubt.

Old 05-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #149
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesixpack View Post

Where did you find power wise that compression needed lowered? I would assume you have found bearing issues with different power levels.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #150
crackerman

Name: crackerman
Member`s Gallery
A 1500hp peak cylinder pressure is about the same, whether it has 14:1 or 20:1 compression. O e just requires more care of the tune, so that spike occurres at the proper time.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #151
D&J Precision

Name: D&J Precision
Title: Green Behind the Ears
Member`s Gallery
The deck plate is needed to hold the block together top to bottom. When we remove the stock bore material to install the sleeves we take a lot of strength out of the block. We add the deck plate for several reasons one being, we put tie bolts through the deck plate into the main web so that when the cylinder pressure is trying to blow the top of the block off along, with the cylinder head we can hold the block together top to bottom. The deck plate allows us to run a longer rod, helping to correct the rod ratio, and thrust loading of the piston. The longer rod also slows the piston down slightly, where it turns around, and switches directions top, and bottom this increases strength and durability. As for the question of running the same sleeve thickness, staying STD bore 6.7, and filling the block. I would not want to stand anywhere near that engine when it was loaded up and making power.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #152
DieselheaD

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J Precision View Post
The deck plate is needed to hold the block together top to bottom. When we remove the stock bore material to install the sleeves we take a lot of strength out of the block. We add the deck plate for several reasons one being, we put tie bolts through the deck plate into the main web so that when the cylinder pressure is trying to blow the top of the block off along, with the cylinder head we can hold the block together top to bottom. The deck plate allows us to run a longer rod, helping to correct the rod ratio, and thrust loading of the piston. The longer rod also slows the piston down slightly, where it turns around, and switches directions top, and bottom this increases strength and durability. As for the question of running the same sleeve thickness, staying STD bore 6.7, and filling the block. I would not want to stand anywhere near that engine when it was loaded up and making power.

Well out goes that idea. I like the idea of having an engine that can handle huge power reliably, the wallet on the other hand won't be to happy I'm guessing

Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 PM   #153
Joesixpack

Name: Joesixpack
Title: Pull'n it.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackerman View Post
A 1500hp peak cylinder pressure is about the same, whether it has 14:1 or 20:1 compression. O e just requires more care of the tune, so that spike occurres at the proper time.
Your kidding right.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #154
straight 6 roar

Name: straight 6 roar
Member`s Gallery
If it's not a dedicated puller, a 6.4L with carrillo long rods seems like a great option for power, reliability, and cost.

Closed Thread