Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling > Sled Events
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Sled Events Post Sled Pulling Events here

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #21
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dodge View Post
If all of you actually knew what it took to put on a sled pull. You can never have everything perfect, especially the first event at a new location. I think everything went pretty smoothly.
i know its not perfect.. did and AWSOME!! Job out the gate

i stated a problem in certian areas then i made sugjestion on how to go about impovements... it was more constructive cretiquing(spx2) on the event then whining.

as for the cone moval... that basic for any org?
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 07-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #22
Sledpuller

Name: Sledpuller
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu795 View Post
i know its not perfect.. did and AWSOME!! Job out the gate

i stated a problem in certian areas then i made sugjestion on how to go about impovements... it was more constructive cretiquing(spx2) on the event then whining.

as for the cone moval... that basic for any org?
Yes Adam, every where I ever pulled, you could move the sled with the cone, or have somebody wave the sled over to where you want it.

Your posts are fine, with good suggestions.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #23
JOHNBOY

Name: JOHNBOY
Title: ZF6 Sled Puller
Member`s Gallery
I am kind of amazed that people are shocked that the pulling track was not super awesome. When you go to a "National" event. That means your going to an event that has both Pulling and Drag Racing. That means your at a drag strip. A place with no pulling track! So you’re pulling on a temp track. Most likely the temp track is not going to be much more than adequate. If you’re thinking you’re going to have a super tight track at a "National" think again. I am not bashing NADM, Gene, or any "National" but it is what it is.

What sucks about that to me is you will have a lot more trucks there to pull than to drag race. Also more people to spectate the pull then the drag race. Yet you pull on a make do track. If you have not figured out yet I am not a fan of "Nationals".
Originally Posted by Gale Banks
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #24
malibu795

Name: malibu795
Title: 2wd numb nut
Member`s Gallery
that type of sled track does suck.... thought it was 10x better then pulling on a horse track.
99 FL60 mutt
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull sailor

Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #25
Sledpuller

Member`s Gallery
I agree John. However, this track has been left, and will be reworked in the same spot for next year. This was a giant step forward for a National.

And there just happened to be more racers than pullers at this event.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #26
JOHNBOY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledpuller View Post
I agree John. However, this track has been left, and will be reworked in the same spot for next year. This was a giant step forward for a National.

If it is there again I can see the track getting better. But it is not the norm for "nationals" to stay at the same place.

I am not suprised the puller count was down. I know a lot of pullers (myself included) that stayed home. I could drive 5 hours and get to pull on a so so track and not learn much. Even though the track was iffy I would be sure the show was well run . Or I could have stayed local and pulled on a track where I knew what I was in for. I stayed local. Tried a new setup and was pleased. I would have a lot more pleased if I would have remebered to turn my lift pump in the pulloff though! Oh well I learned what I needed to for my next points hook.
My answer to the guys with nitrous........Get a better job........make some more money so you can learn to turbocharge!

Old 07-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #27
Whippit96

Name: Whippit96
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:

The drag racing was killing me at the beginning of the day. I had no idea how you guys were doing the classes and what not. I also didn't have much time for my CF card runner to take the cards back to the booth and get the previous one back to me in time for the next class.

But it was a good learning experience for if you guys have me photograph any future events.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:54 PM   #28
coady

Name: coady
Member`s Gallery
so i guess all of you have been to cought up in bashing one another to put up some video. what is wrong with everyone

Old 07-21-2009, 08:09 PM   #29
Sledpuller

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY View Post
. I know a lot of pullers (myself included) that stayed home. I could drive 5 hours and get to pull on a so so track and not learn much. Even though the track was iffy I would be sure the show was well run . Or I could have stayed local and pulled on a track where I knew what I was in for. I stayed local. k.

First off, it wasn't"iffy" It was very good. Not the Zanesville track we were shooting for, But I know the tracks you pull on in western Pa, I have pulled on them, and with the exception of 2 or three, it was better than all of them.

I have also pulled on absolute garbage tracks at huge Diesel events that were permanent, and got a pass, because there wasn't drag racing there, I guess.

Try pulling after 90 Super Stock tractors sometime Johnboy, you will see what a bad track is. Plowed field comes to mind.

Now running local points is fine, and if you truck is iffy, like yours has been for 2 years, I dont blame you for not wanting the drive, or the time, or the competition.

However, I know of no other Diesel sled pulling event in a 4 state area from the Numidia, that has a chance in hell of getting in any magazines, or TV, or viewed by dozens of potential new sponsors, or a payout of $15,000.

Pullers have decisions to make here- do they want to be back yard heros, or further themselves in the sport. Neither one is wrong.

But don't try to blame something that you THOUGHT might be because you didn't want to come.

The East Coast guys have whined for 10 years they wanted a TiM, an Indy, a SDX.. we build it for them, and some sat at home and whine that the track might be 'iffy"

Old 07-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #30
Sledpuller

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coady View Post
so i guess all of you have been to cought up in bashing one another to put up some video. what is wrong with everyone

I just hate to see my Diesel pulling brothers act like gasser trash pullers!!!

I don't have any video.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #31
SledPuller21

Name: SledPuller21
Title: Never enough
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
If it is there again I can see the track getting better. But it is not the norm for "nationals" to stay at the same place.

I am not suprised the puller count was down. I know a lot of pullers (myself included) that stayed home. I could drive 5 hours and get to pull on a so so track and not learn much. Even though the track was iffy I would be sure the show was well run . Or I could have stayed local and pulled on a track where I knew what I was in for. I stayed local. Tried a new setup and was pleased. I would have a lot more pleased if I would have remebered to turn my lift pump in the pulloff though! Oh well I learned what I needed to for my next points hook.
Lol thats why you just pulled off the track and didnt even hook? Because you forgot to turn your pump on? I still think Krafts 2.6 woulda had ya judging from both first hooks.
2013 USA-East Open 2.6 points champion
Apex Diesel Performance & Machine

Old 07-21-2009, 08:27 PM   #32
cboycadi

Name: cboycadi
Title: Diesel Pro
Member`s Gallery
Gene,
We had a great time on sat. The event was great we made the 5hr trip from ne ohio and it was well worth it. I cant wait for Indy and also next year at numidia.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #33
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coady View Post
I got video of some of them, it takes some time to edit and upload. I will try to get it taken care of tomorrow. Definitely should be up by the end of the week though. I know that if someone was not at the event it makes it hard not being able to see what everyone is talking about that is why I try to tape whole classes but at the same time I do other things when I get home from work and some times I only get one video done right away, the others might lag a while.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #34
Sledpuller

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboycadi View Post
Gene,
We had a great time on sat. The event was great we made the 5hr trip from ne ohio and it was well worth it. I cant wait for Indy and also next year at numidia.

Thank you, its nice to hear that from people who were ACTUALLY at the event!!. Nice having you guys.

If I started to list everything I would change, or tried to prevent about that event, you guys would get bored.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:44 PM   #35
06 DIESEL

Name: 06 DIESEL
Title: Dead Eye Firearms LLC
Member`s Gallery
Gene I can honestly say that this event was better than another huge event that I attended both this year and last. Its close to home for me, at a great location with plenty of room to grow. Then only complaint I have is about where the fans had to be for the sled pull, but I understand why it was the way it was, I helped put on a pull in IL for a few years and some of the stuff you have to do is for reasons that are beyond your control. I will be back next year without a doubt.

My rig - 2021 Mega 3500 SRW

My Classic - 79 Chevy Silverado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Trucks are like women. Sometimes you just need to spend money on them to keep them happy.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #36
JOHNBOY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledPuller21 View Post
Lol thats why you just pulled off the track and didnt even hook? Because you forgot to turn your pump on? I still think Krafts 2.6 woulda had ya judging from both first hooks.
Yep absolute truth. I tried a new tune the first pass. It did not want to spool up as I am sure you noticed. After the first hook I decided to flash the old tune in. To do that you need to shut off all the extra electronics. Including the lift pump. Flashing a tune in the truck at the truck is something I never did before. I simply forgot to turn it back on after the flash.

I find it interesting that you can judge the two of us from the first hooks. When the flagman waved the red flag I pushed the clutch in. I still had a good head of steam.
YouTube - Stoneboro Thunderpull 8000 Open
Dustin told me he rode it out. I did not see it however. It could have gone either way. If I would have remebered my lift pump we would know. I beleive Dustin had an advangate in that he has less rear gear and less HP. Stoneboro is all about running a big gear with just enough power to stay on top of it. Dustin did a great job. But on a shorter track???? Dustin was the first CR that finished in front of me all season.

I went there to try some new stuff and get some data before Crawford PS. Speaking of Crawford how about you bring your truck and hook PS. See how you fare against me. Or are going to sit in your swivelly chair and

Old 07-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #37
SledPuller21

Name: SledPuller21
Title: Never enough
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yep absolute truth. I tried a new tune the first pass. It did not want to spool up as I am sure you noticed. After the first hook I decided to flash the old tune in. To do that you need to shut off all the extra electronics. Including the lift pump. Flashing a tune in the truck at the truck is something I never did before. I simply forgot to turn it back on after the flash.

I find it interesting that you can judge the two of us from the first hooks. When the flagman waved the red flag I pushed the clutch in. I still had a good head of steam.
YouTube - Stoneboro Thunderpull 8000 Open
Dustin told me he rode it out. I did not see it however. It could have gone either way. If I would have remebered my lift pump we would know. I beleive Dustin had an advangate in that he has less rear gear and less HP. Stoneboro is all about running a big gear with just enough power to stay on top of it. Dustin did a great job. But on a shorter track???? Dustin was the first CR that finished in front of me all season.

I went there to try some new stuff and get some data before Crawford PS. Speaking of Crawford how about you bring your truck and hook PS. See how you fare against me. Or are going to sit in your swivelly chair and
You mean my lifted, stock turboed truck? It'll be there pulling actually, just not PS. My other 06 is for sale and just got the rockers painted all the way around or I would...I almost brought it to stoneboro but my better judgment prevailed.
2013 USA-East Open 2.6 points champion
Apex Diesel Performance & Machine

Old 07-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #38
GSM-01

Name: GSM-01
Title: Can turn wrenches
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MELTDOWN View Post
i have seen better tracks at brush pulls
I don't see how it was that bad of a track. It was good clay. At 10am the track was not ready. Gene and the track guys worked their butts off to make sure it was something that wouldn't kill drive trains and be something everyone could pull on. Being the first class its what you get. You had a hot day, sun, and other things effecting the track. If it was to dry for the first run, the big trucks would have been complaining. My hats off to gene and Dave. They walked the track, made the decisions, got it torn up and packed down, and at the end of the day it wasn't bad at all.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 AM   #39
JOHNBOY

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
First off, it wasn't"iffy" It was very good. Not the Zanesville track we were shooting for, But I know the tracks you pull on in western Pa, I have pulled on them, and with the exception of 2 or three, it was better than all of them.
Gene I was actually trying to defend you. I replyed to one of the text messages I got Saturday complaining about the track. "It ain't southern Ohio! What did you think you where going to get" I know you run a good show, well organized, far and timely. I beleive you did the best you could with what you had. But I got more than a couple text message from people complaining about the track. People need to be realilistic at a first time event track wise.
I have also pulled on absolute garbage tracks at huge Diesel events that were permanent, and got a pass, because there wasn't drag racing there, I guess.

Try pulling after 90 Super Stock tractors sometime Johnboy, you will see what a bad track is. Plowed field comes to mind.

Now running local points is fine, and if you truck is iffy, like yours has been for 2 years, I dont blame you for not wanting the drive, or the time, or the competition.
My "iffy truck" runs for points in Full Pull Productions Pro Stock. I dont consider that a local series or an entry class. I consider Northwest a local series and a decent one. My "iffy" truck has brought home a pay check at every pull it has been to this year. No brush pulls. It has made back enough money to cover hook fees and fuel costs so far this year. It has scored enough points to qualify me to hook a the Canfield Fair (my goal for the season). If that is "iffy" I can live with it.

However, I know of no other Diesel sled pulling event in a 4 state area from the Numidia, that has a chance in hell of getting in any magazines, or TV, or viewed by dozens of potential new sponsors, or a payout of $15,000.
Well I can honestly say I can care less if my trucks ever end up in a magizine or TV. Not why I pull. The coverage is a good thing but honestly means little to me.

Pullers have decisions to make here- do they want to be back yard heros, or further themselves in the sport. Neither one is wrong.

But don't try to blame something that you THOUGHT might be because you didn't want to come.

The East Coast guys have whined for 10 years they wanted a TiM, an Indy, a SDX.. we build it for them, and some sat at home and whine that the track might be 'iffy"I have never whined for an East Coast national. Matter of fact when you guys where talking about doing one at National Trails I was against it. With great pulling tracks like Zanesville and New Lexington so close why bother.
I guess I just will not bother anymore. Trying to help just gets me greif. I got more than a couple text messages from people complaining about the track.

I going out to the garage to get my "iffy" truck ready for FPP PS at Crawford County.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #40
2Tone12V

Name: 2Tone12V
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I guess I just will not bother anymore. Trying to help just gets me greif. I got more than a couple text messages from people complaining about the track.

I going out to the garage to get my "iffy" truck ready for FPP PS at Crawford County.
Since your "iffy" truck isn't so "iffy" and brings home the cash. Why would you stay home when an event of this caliber is in your home state? In your position I WOULD consider this a local pull man. And with the money that was up for grabs I don't think you would have been doing any complaining if the "iffy" truck came and performed and was going home with $1000!! But since you decided to stay home from a local national then your opinion really is useless. Some of us spent every last penny they had to get to this event, NOT expecting to place or had even sit a$$ in their truck before. But went for the love of the sport. Then cry babies like you get on here "oh the track wont be good cause its a temporary setting." So I'm gonna sit in the recliner all weekend and eat cheetohs. Great event, glad to be there. NEVER have I seen consistently perfect tracks. If they were, pulling would be boring. Knowing exactly what to do each week takes the fun out of it. It would be like playing baseball with only right handed pitchers throwing fast balls.

Closed Thread