Need some help checking timing.

bsmith

Never enough
If the little hand starts on 6, ends on 18, and the big hand goes around 6 times. What's my timing?

I've read so many threads and asked a few people but I'm just confused. I either come up with a really low or really high reading. I'm just aggravated now and would like to put my truck back together.

Thanks in advance!

So 12mm of lift on a 160 would put you at like over 50*

What are you trying to set it at?

Last edited:
So 12mm of lift on a 160 would put you at like over 50*

What are you trying to set it at?
I was trying to set it at 26. The pumps pinned at 18. I installed a adj pump gear and went 3 holes forward.

I went past tdc for lift, till the needle stopped. That's correct right? If I would have stopped at tdc it would have been around 16 I think.

Thanks for the help.

how do you find tdc on a 24v ppump does yours have a pin in the back of cover that goes in the cam gear that tells you where it is or what?

If the pump is pinned at 18* and the engine is TDC then then the pump is at 18*.

26* of pump timing is 6.9mm of lift on a 160 pump. You lock the pump to the gear at tdc roll the engine till the needle stops moving. zero your gauge then roll the other way till you come up to 6.9mm. knock the gear loose and set engine back to tdc

If the pump is pinned at 18* and the engine is TDC then then the pump is at 18*.

26* of pump timing is 6.9mm of lift on a 160 pump. You lock the pump to the gear at tdc roll the engine till the needle stops moving. zero your gauge then roll the other way till you come up to 6.9mm. knock the gear loose and set engine back to tdc
Just to make sure the little dial is the first number and big hand is the 2nd number?

No the little hand is 1mm per number. The big hand is broke down into 20 increments. So for ever 1 time the big hand goes around thats 2mm of lift and the little hand will move 2 numbers

Edit: im sorry yes if you are referring to the 6.9 the 6 would be 6 numbers on the little hand and the .9 would be .9 on the big hand

Last edited:
So for 26* I need to go around 3 times and stop on .9

Yes. So when you find base circle and the needle stops moving zero your guage and go 3 full turns and then go to .9 and that should be 26* pop the gear and set the engine back to TDC and tighten it back downor in your case put the screws back in

Yes. So when you find base circle and the needle stops moving zero your guage and go 3 full turns and then go to .9 and that should be 26* pop the gear and set the engine back to TDC and tighten it back downor in your case put the screws back in
Thank you!

Your goal is to set the timing, not measure lobe height of your pump cam. Just make sure you are at zero to start and then turn it to tdc and check total indicated lift at that point.

Your goal is to set the timing, not measure lobe height of your pump cam. Just make sure you are at zero to start and then turn it to tdc and check total indicated lift at that point.
Yeah I just figured that out. I just spoke with Jeremy, he explained it for me.

Its really simple once I understood it. I've never seen anyone set timing on a 12v before.

Put a permanent pointer on stand offs using 2 of your pan bolts and mark tdc on your balancer. Makes things go faster.

Back