2.5 2012

I like the idea of the restricter tube too...though I have no dog in the sledpulling fight. But it just sounds so simple, any one can go get a piece of 2.5 exhaust tubing to fit the bill. Like stated above, fewer rules = more trucks.

Workstock - inforce the all stock turbo, not just a stock apearing;I beleive B.O.B is wrote this way...... problem solved

2.5 class - do what you want cause its really not that common of a class anyways...

Four restrictors were sent to be tested in a class this year out East, guess we'll see how they turn out.

they may possibly put the money in to a motor like that and run the 2.5 class yes.....but tell me how your going to do with a protruded 2.5 charger and no weight on the front end to get it hooked? Ever see any of these 2.6 trucks try it with no weight out front? It's quite the scene. Getting the truck hooked up along with a protruded 2.5 charger will take care of your big money motor problem all in its own. So if they have to spend 25K to get the needed power to run a 2.5 class then i'd say they've got bigger problems....I'm not a Ppump guy and wont claim to know the ins and outs, but i watch a truck with the ag gov and one w/o and its a very noticeable difference, and what a pump would add other than power is beyond me, but hey once again im not a ppump guy so i could be wrong.

they may possibly put the money in to a motor like that and run the 2.5 class yes.....but tell me how your going to do with a protruded 2.5 charger and no weight on the front end to get it hooked? Ever see any of these 2.6 trucks try it with no weight out front? It's quite the scene. Getting the truck hooked up along with a protruded 2.5 charger will take care of your big money motor problem all in its own. So if they have to spend 25K to get the needed power to run a 2.5 class then i'd say they've got bigger problems....I'm not a Ppump guy and wont claim to know the ins and outs, but i watch a truck with the ag gov and one w/o and its a very noticeable difference, and what a pump would add other than power is beyond me, but hey once again im not a ppump guy so i could be wrong.

Ever seen a 500lb front bumper?

I know a truck that runs very well with no front hanging weights, got 1st at platte city the year before if I recall correctly.

Last edited:
I understand what your saying but thats what theres a tech for also....If a std cab long bed single wheel pulls up and tips out at 8K and the weights not in the floor...should be obvious to a tech to start looking around? I also understand that a guy could say if he fills somthing with it you may not be able to find it unless you tear the truck apart. Which is a valid point no tech can or will do this theres not enough time, but if your going to go into the hiding weight deal thats as old as truck pulling. if i were a 2.5 guy i would be willing to take that guy may have hid 500 lbs, and had to cheat to do it, over he built a truck within the rules and i probably couldnt catch him.....but the 2.5 class is a good idea i feel like, but it sure would take some debate like this to iron out some rules

Sounds like you want a prostock 4x4 (s10 trussed frames, profab/scs xcase, big front & rearends) truck with an oil burner in it?!

Get them light enough and i think stock drive line will live. Not really prostock 4x4 just get it back somewhat affordable.

Ive seen in BOB for instance 2.6 trucks run with 3.0s on loose tracks, only advantage the 2.6 had was run 8k and the 3.0s run 7500. Take em down to 6500 and then its not about hp...its about being able to hook up.

Get them light enough and i think stock drive line will live. Not really prostock 4x4 just get it back somewhat affordable.

Ive seen in BOB for instance 2.6 trucks run with 3.0s on loose tracks, only advantage the 2.6 had was run 8k and the 3.0s run 7500. Take em down to 6500 and then its not about hp...its about being able to hook up.

Yea but folks whine that there DD can't compete in the 2.6 class now, think they are gonna chop 1500 lbs out of it?

We have a 2.5" Class here in IA, no hanging weight with a box S465 and air/air, fun class if controlled.

A true 2.5 or 2.6 class would be fun. If you keep the rules simple with air to air and no weight, i think you would see alot of the trucks in the parking lot move to the pits

But comes the question, is true stock turbo should be used, can I run a HE351 60mm inducer from an 05 truck on my 90 that originally came with a 54mm inducer turbo?

Restrictor tubes/plates are where it is at. Why do you think NASCAR uses them?

But comes the question, is true stock turbo should be used, can I run a HE351 60mm inducer from an 05 truck on my 90 that originally came with a 54mm inducer turbo?

sure why not, the class will still take 500hp+ to win...

I'm not big into NASCAR so correct me if I'm wrong. The reason it would be more adaptable there would be that all of the engines are virtually identical. i.e. carbs, cubes and aspiration.

This ain't NASCAR... Have you seen the payouts?

NO PROTRUSION. It is making turbo shops rich and keeping normal guys from pulling and its a stupid rule because it doesnt really limit power we all know that. Its going to be another 2.6 class already. NO WATER TO AIR IC either.

The current rules say nothing about protrusion. It says you have to have a 2.5 inducer wheel, no clipped wheels, no stepped covers and no bushings. Your charger has a stepped cover and a wheel bigger than 2.5. That's what's illegal, reason being it makes more power than a native 2.5 wheel. A 3.0 charger with a 2.5 cover is 2.6 all over again.

Last edited:
Also so far with the current rules, 2.5 has been the largest class at all the pulls that have had it, almost double the truck count of 2.6. And the truck that is consistently winning still has a stock appearing charger, I think the power level is right where we want it to be.

Yeah protrusion didn't do anything besides putting more money in turbo builders pockets. Kinda dumb to let performance parts shops to set rules, Seems every year Scheid and TS change their rules...

2012 rules idea, well I know in my neck of the woods the single cp3 rule is going out the window and duals will be allowed. Due to simple fact a big single and dual cp3 is same price pretty much. No ag govenors allowed on P pumps and 2.5 with protrusion rule will be in effect

Originally posted by jneal
The current rules say nothing about protrusion. It says you have to have a 2.5 inducer wheel, no clipped wheels, no stepped covers and no bushings. Your charger has a stepped cover and a wheel bigger than 2.5. That's what's illegal, reason being it makes more power than a native 2.5 wheel. A 3.0 charger with a 2.5 cover is 2.6 all over again.[/quote]

I know my turbo is illegal for 2.5 with those rules. I wasnt referencing that. Was I? I was talking about the first post saying 2.5 protrusion. Im talking about this rule. Im not a fan of the protrusion rule or getting rid of 2.8 but it happened and now alot of the big trucks dropped down. There are talks of a 2.5 but Im not buying a 2500 to 3500 dollar turbo to pull 5 times a year.

I knew I had to run 2.6 at Fleeces pull the only reason I asked was because 2010 you teched my truck and said I could have pulled 2.5 so I had you check it before I put weights on.

Last edited:
Yeah protrusion didn't do anything besides putting more money in turbo builders pockets. Kinda dumb to let performance parts shops to set rules, Seems every year Scheid and TS change their rules...

Ask someone what a bushing billet charger makes, and then ask them what a clipped billet wheel makes? I think you will see that it cut the HP. One thing that protrusion did was keep folks from jumping classes cause everybody was crying foul when some of the 2.8 trucks dropped down to 2.6 the year that scheid allowed bushings.

I took your post the wrong way, I apologize.

So far most all trucks I have teched for 2.5 has had protrusion anyway, going to a protrusion rule shouldn't cause that many issues. The key is to keep the power down and cut out any gray areas.

As far as dual fuelers being allowed, if the turbo rules are good and enforced, go for it. Let them through all the fuel at it they want, they won't have the air to burn it.

Originally posted by jneal
The current rules say nothing about protrusion. It says you have to have a 2.5 inducer wheel, no clipped wheels, no stepped covers and no bushings. Your charger has a stepped cover and a wheel bigger than 2.5. That's what's illegal, reason being it makes more power than a native 2.5 wheel. A 3.0 charger with a 2.5 cover is 2.6 all over again.

I know my turbo is illegal for 2.5 with those rules. I wasnt referencing that. Was I? I was talking about the first post saying 2.5 protrusion. Im talking about this rule. Im not a fan of the protrusion rule or getting rid of 2.8 but it happened and now alot of the big trucks dropped down. There are talks of a 2.5 but Im not buying a 2500 to 3500 dollar turbo to pull 5 times a year.

I knew I had to run 2.6 at Fleeces pull the only reason I asked was because 2010 you teched my truck and said I could have pulled 2.5 so I had you check it before I put weights on.[/QUOTE]

2.5 Rules

Box stock S366 from bw (allowed to change hot sides) or stock turbo(s), model year interchange allowed. No exceptions

No hanging weights, or hidden weights

No water

No permanent suspension stops.

Reese type hitches ONLY

No dual pumps

No Nitrous

No AG governors.

Must have current tags, ins, registration.

Or that is my idea.

Back