Chevy Wiring Trailer Issue

RockinRam96

Hey guys.

My father owns a 2015 Chevy 3500. He pulls a gooseneck horse trailer daily with the truck. Since he bought it he and an intermittent notification pop up that says “Check trailer wiring” but all lights and brakes are still operating correctly.

Problem seem to get worse and worse. Only seems to happen at highway speeds. Had some ABS work done recently and had the plug changed out. The problem still persist.

Any ideas? Way to fix?

TIA

IMG_7812.jpg

IMG_7813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What kind of trailer plug? I got tired of the replacement 7 way plugs that cause all sorts of issues and got a nice molded pigtail off amazon. It has eliminated those similar issues in my Ford.

What kind of trailer plug? I got tired of the replacement 7 way plugs that cause all sorts of issues and got a nice molded pigtail off amazon. It has eliminated those similar issues in my Ford.

I do believe it was a GM OEM replacement.

it will be in the trailer, not the truck.

Doesn’t seem to be a trailer issue. Does it with both of our trailers.

The trailer he is pulling daily, was bought brand new this season. Has done it from day 1. Lights don’t flicker. Brakes have always worked.

Out of the 100 of these complaints I’ve dealt with after GM decided it would be a great idea to test customers trailer wiring I’ve only had one that was on the trucks side. Check the ground on the trailer side, after you check it check it again, after that make sure you checked it twice and check it once more. I’d say 90% of any time I’ve had to deal with this it’s the trailers ground. Adding a second ground from the frame of the trailer to the body or deck of the trailer is a glorious idea.

Typically that the problem. Lights are grounded to the body or deck via screws and the resistance is just enough between that and the frame ground that the controller will think a light is out and display the message.

Or it could be just a worn out plug. Dielectric Lubricant on the pins help.

I had a 2015 2500 that occasionally would get pretty chatty about the trailer thing.
Trailer or no trailer!!!!

Back