Looking for recommendations on what to do with hurt cylinder

You got me wanting to try and do a relative compression test with an ammeter now. Would need a way to indicate cylinder though. Might be a cool kit to build.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

You got me wanting to try and do a relative compression test with an ammeter now. Would need a way to indicate cylinder though. Might be a cool kit to build.

That's definitely over my head, I'm wishing I would of measured blowby with my digital manometer before hand so I had better numbers to go off of for future referance. Oh well

That's is sweet for sure. Generally I go by sound first, then I do a normal compression test if something sounds off. If it's close the ear does not always pick it up though.

??? My first time was in a Detroit engine. The trick is plotting crank angle on a non electronic engine. Might not be too bad with a photo-optic pickup, get each cylinder to tdc and place a reflector on the damper for each cylinder blah blah.
Might not even need that.

??? My first time was in a Detroit engine. The trick is plotting crank angle on a non electronic engine. Might not be too bad with a photo-optic pickup, get each cylinder to tdc and place a reflector on the damper for each cylinder blah blah.
Might not even need that.

I was kinda thinking something along the lines of a hall effect or magnetic sensor to indicate #1 TDC and monitor it on another scope channel overlaid on the amp probe trace. Could probably run this off of the factory cam sensor. Right?

Tried to edit previous post to more thoroughly explain my thoughts, but passed the 30 minute peasant status edit window...

I was kinda thinking something along the lines of a hall effect or magnetic sensor to indicate #1 TDC and monitor it on another scope channel overlaid on the amp probe trace. Could probably run this off of the factory cam sensor. This should narrow a problem down to being within one or both of the companion cylinders?

With a 12 valve I guess youd need to attach a high spot to the OD of the crank damper with the leading edge set at #1 TDC in relation to the sensor? In that scenario a sensor mounted to something like a indicator mag base and stick that on the oil pan oughta work? Just need to disregard the #1 exhaust stroke reading. How far off am I???? lol

Tried to edit previous post to more thoroughly explain my thoughts, but passed the 30 minute peasant status edit window...

I was kinda thinking something along the lines of a hall effect or magnetic sensor to indicate #1 TDC and monitor it on another scope channel overlaid on the amp probe trace. Could probably run this off of the factory cam sensor. This should narrow a problem down to being within one or both of the companion cylinders?

With a 12 valve I guess youd need to attach a high spot to the OD of the crank damper with the leading edge set at #1 TDC in relation to the sensor? In that scenario a sensor mounted to something like a indicator mag base and stick that on the oil pan oughta work? Just need to disregard the #1 exhaust stroke reading. How far off am I???? lol
I think you're on it, I was just trying to home brew instead of using a scan tool, although mapping on a tool would be better.

A photo-tach would work.

I think you're on it, I was just trying to home brew instead of using a scan tool, although mapping on a tool would be better.

A photo-tach would work.

Gotcha.
How would one go about analyzing the starter amp draw in a home brew sorta scenario?

Gotcha.

How would one go about analyzing the starter amp draw in a home brew sorta scenario?
It would still have to have an amp clamp with an output I would think.
I was just meaning something Arduino flavored and run the outputs on the monitor or a screen HAT on the Arduino.

Drop the pan, pull the head, remove rod and piston, wrap crank in wraps, dingle ball the hole, new rings, rotate engine a few times to check work, assemble remaining parts. Drive it.

Dingle ballz, dingle ballz, dingle all the waaaaay

I said what I said...... (Via text)

Last edited:
Got the motor pulled and on the stand this weekend. Out of curiosity what makes you guys choose the dingle balls over the 3 stone hone?

Back