Is it the head gasket? Please help diagnose.....

You put a pump in it after the issues began?

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

We started with a thermostat which fixed it for a bit then it acted up again and we tried new water pump but that changed nothing because old one worked fine and was still pumping water so I'm just keeping it for a spare in case my new remained one just happens to fail

It seems to me you are trying to convince yourself that the head gasket isn't the issue. While I can't be 100% sure myself, I can say that we've seen these exact same symptoms in many of the trucks we have ended up doing the head gasket job to fix it.
The multi layer steel head gasket has a tendency to burn through the thin middle layer, likely between two cylinders. If you have a trailer that you can load up heavy, and actually work the truck, I'm confident that this intermittent issue will become much more noticeable. Mashing the throttle does not load the engine enough to show up constantly. Again, just speaking from experience, so I would never say I'm 100% sure without actually testing it myself.

It seems to me you are trying to convince yourself that the head gasket isn't the issue. While I can't be 100% sure myself, I can say that we've seen these exact same symptoms in many of the trucks we have ended up doing the head gasket job to fix it.
The multi layer steel head gasket has a tendency to burn through the thin middle layer, likely between two cylinders. If you have a trailer that you can load up heavy, and actually work the truck, I'm confident that this intermittent issue will become much more noticeable. Mashing the throttle does not load the engine enough to show up constantly. Again, just speaking from experience, so I would never say I'm 100% sure without actually testing it myself.
See "MLS gasket doing MLS gasket things" above ?

Just had more weird stuff happen.
So after I got home this afternoon after that last test drive where it still got hot and blew coolant into overflow, I let truck sit and cool back down for about 2.5 hours. Went back out and first siphoned the overflow tank out to the 'max' level. Started engine up and coolant temp said 104°. Opened up and took radiator cap off, got a little pressure relief but no coolant blowing out. Opened up Allen plug vent on EGR pipe and put the coolant that I siphoned out of overflow into radiator and waited for more heat out of engine to raise coolant level and pressure and vent out of EGR pipe. Put the radiator cap back on first BEFORE I closed EGR pipe vent, let it vent some.more thru the pipe vent then tightened up the Allen plug. I let the engine idle for about 20 minutes, raising and holding the RPMs up to about 1500 and back down. Coolant temp never got about 174°. Took it for test drive and it got up to 188° then back down to 176° so it was working fine and the thermostat was opening and operating keeping it cool. Turned around down the road and nailed the throttle pretty hard going thru all the gears and coolant never got above 194°. It went to the 190s and immediately showed that thermostat opened and cooled it back down. To 176-181° range. Slowed down and stabbed throttle again with no changed, temp went to 192 and back down to 176. Got home, popped hood and overflow tank was STILL at the max level I had siphoned it out to. Shut it down and gonna let it sit overnight then just start and drive in the morning and see what happens.
So riddle me this Batman, what gives after that test? After that test, I would say it has a sensitivity problem with air in the cooling system but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that theory just yet.......
That new radiator cap is still holding pressure and not leaking, thankfully but when I shut it down I still get a slow bubble coming from the overflow tank that slows down to nothing after about 2-3 minutes like its relieving pressure somehow ?

The air your getting in the coolant is from combustion gases, from the blown head gasket.

the cap isnt bad..its getting overpressured..that bubbling isnt coming from overheating..its combustion gas escaping...you need to pressurize the system with 15 psi overnight and then itll hydrolock the bad cyl and youll know

Not trying to convince myself at all. Just doing test after test that I can think of that would fix the issue and yes, it most likely is the head gasket from all the results and im just trying to eliminate everything i can before I tear into it.

To be honest I'm trying everything I can to convince the wife that this is what the truck needs and she is already not happy about the $7k rebuild we just dished out for the tore up 68rfe?
This used truck buy has not been good to me so I'm hoping after the head gasket it runs like a champ for a while ??
I dont have a heavy trailer i can hook up too but gonna try running it again after it ran well last night and haven't touched it since so we'll see but I do appreciate the help guys, this has just been very frustrating ?

I'll be the grumpy old man.

Frustrating is when someone asks for your help with a problem, then continues to ignore what VERY experienced folks tell you is wrong.

I'll be the grumpy old man.

Frustrating is when someone asks for your help with a problem, then continues to ignore what VERY experienced folks tell you is wrong.

Well, he did mention he's up against an un-happy wife situation. That can be a rough one if you worry about that sort of thing.

Well, he did mention he's up against an un-happy wife situation. That can be a rough one if you worry about that sort of thing.

Exactly! Like I said, just bought the truck, found out hard way and $7k later transmission was no bueno and now if its a head gasket, my ass is in the dog house for a while cuz im not gonna skimp on a head gasket job. This is a lot of money I dont have right now after purchasing this truck and thats frustrating as you guys can imagine. Not trying to say anyone on here is not experienced or doesn't know, that's why I come here for things like this, for the variety of experiences and suggestions! I just haven't done the head gasket suggestion yet ??

I will continue to update and post what I find, thank you ?

Yes.....its the head gasket ?went into town and it immediately shot up in temp when I started driving, it got to 239° then went back down and held normal temps of 179-181 all the way into town which is about 2/3 freeway driving, btw. It had a really hard time making heat when i initially fired it up and never got above 122° and even went down to 105° after about 15 minutes of idling.
Either way, yes, its gotta be the head gasket and I appreciate all the help, ill post pics of my findings when I get the head off.

Thanks??

I'm still skeptical this thing has proper coolant flow with the numbers you are citing. I also question the circumstance around the initial overtemp unless operator error was at play.

It's not cool to do something like an HG job and then the root cause becomes apparent, and head gaskets don't just die.

The key to a happy marriage, is building a dog house so cool that it's a place you enjoy.

i hate you:shake:

No, you don't. You dang well know if we were sitting on the porch drinking a Coors Banquet together that I'd say the same thing and we'd laugh and open another beer. :D

Here's to giving the other Gary hell.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Coors.jpg
    Coors.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 0
yer right..i actually love you man....no homo...lol.......

i miss those beers..this diet is no carbs and no beer is brutal...lol

but 13 lbs less is noticeable

Back