Head gasket or radiator cap?

Goalie990

I was talking to a buddy and he brought up a good point.. I donno if i believe it but he said that the reason i might be blowing coolant out of my overflow is because i have a bad cap. My truck doesn't have any oil in the radiator fluid nor does it burn coolant. It just blows out the overflow, and bubbles.

Its possible you took out your hg. I took out mine after a hill climb and it puked out the overflow real bad. No oil in coolant or coolant in the oil. A couple weeks later it started leaking externally.

Josh

I blew coolant out my bottle when I lost a HG. No cross contamination at all.

How many R's are you spinning? You may be over pressurizing the system to blow coolant out?

justinp20012500 said:
I blew coolant out my bottle when I lost a HG. No cross contamination at all.

How many R's are you spinning? You may be over pressurizing the system to blow coolant out?

when you pulled the head... was there any visable damage to the gasket?

My truck did this same thing when I blew the HG, it took a few more weeks of abuse before the blown gasket filled my radiator full of oil.

-Rob

Rob_Bones said:
My truck did this same thing when I blew the HG, it took a few more weeks of abuse before the blown gasket filled my radiator full of oil.

-Rob
what were the conditions that made it go for you?

too much boost? high egt's? lots of miles?

Camotanker said:
when you pulled the head... was there any visable damage to the gasket?

Yes, there was.

You could see where combustion gases were entering the crank case by going down the pushrod hole. You could also see where the gasket failed by the water jacket.

Back