Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Competition and Performance
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Dodge Competition and Performance General Dodge Competition and Performance Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
DieselNasty

Name: DieselNasty
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Competition DVs

Been a long time seen i have been on here or posted and im seeing quite a bit about competition DVs now out there. Hearing the fuel better then full cuts and reduce low end smoke a bit. I have 191s in my truck right now and have full cuts laying around. Question is are they worth it, how much do they cost and where do i get them from??

I should mention other mods- CDS 12mm pump, ddp 140s, twins, cam/ springs, supporting mods.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Big Blue24

Name: Big Blue24
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
On my personal truck, I went from DDP 024/042 DV's to a set of my comp cut DV's and picked up close to 100 HP.

At the same time I also rebuild motor, ported head, installed upgraded Hamilton Cam and valve springs, cut pistons, etc.

From what I've seen/read/heard, on the bench, 191's flow roughly 60 cc's over stock, and comp cuts flow 100-120 cc's over stock depending on how aggressively they are cut. Full cuts should be closer to 140 cc's over stock.

My truck went from pretty dang clean with the 024's:

To moderately hazy/dirty with my comp cuts:
OEM 12v Block

Old 09-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
DieselNasty

Name: DieselNasty
Member`s Gallery
thanks for the reply i was unde rthe impression from some searching that the comp dvs flowed more then full cuts. BTW i read you whole build thread a few weeks ago since i havent been on here in a long time and very impressed good job! also where did u get the comp dvs from ?

Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
SDX is where I got mine, but that was a couple years ago. They fueled hard, but the smoke was still controllable. It was a big kick in the pants compared to 181's. Just that, I picked up almost 20 psi of boost. I'd reckon it was about 80 hp.

I did find that they made throttle inputs real sensitive. I drove them on winter fuel for 3 or 4 months, everything was good. When they made the switch to summer diesel, any bump in the road would make my foot move the slightest and the truck would start to surge and buck. Only way to drive it smoothly was on cruise. Once I put the 181's back in, it was fine.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #5
estrada5.9

Name: estrada5.9
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tate View Post
I drove them on winter fuel for 3 or 4 months, everything was good. When they made the switch to summer diesel, any bump in the road would make my foot move the slightest and the truck would start to surge and buck. Only way to drive it smoothly was on cruise. Once I put the 181's back in, it was fine.
That is interesting.

Timing related and/or temperature related?

Old 09-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
SDX is where I got mine, but that was a couple years ago. They fueled hard, but the smoke was still controllable. It was a big kick in the pants compared to 181's. Just that, I picked up almost 20 psi of boost. I'd reckon it was about 80 hp.

I did find that they made throttle inputs real sensitive. I drove them on winter fuel for 3 or 4 months, everything was good. When they made the switch to summer diesel, any bump in the road would make my foot move the slightest and the truck would start to surge and buck. Only way to drive it smoothly was on cruise. Once I put the 181's back in, it was fine.
That seems to be the case with any high flowing ppump though. Gov springs, racked barrels, and dv's all seem to make the pedal touchy. I think you just get used to it though.
Once thing that helps slightly is if you toss an air solenoid on the AFC boost reference line. It makes your pedal feel laggy in boost (since it wont add fuel based on boost), but preboost is still kinda 'brappy'.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #7
Tate

Name: Tate
Title: What?
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrada5.9 View Post
That is interesting.

Timing related and/or temperature related?
I think it has to do with more energy in the summer fuel than winter. If it wasn't for that, I'd still run them.

My p-pump conversion pics

Old 09-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #8
NickTF

Name: NickTF
Title: Single turbo turd.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'd bet near $100 that if you put in a stiffer return spring or two on your linkage this problem will disappear. ask me how I know..........

I had the exact same issue which is heavily exaggerated with the comps given the fact that they introduce so much more low rack fuel vs. any other dv (I've run nearly every combination out there). I found that my return springs were very very limp. I replaced one of the two return springs with a very stiff spring I had laying around from a carb linkage kit. Now it's smooth as a baby's rear end!

Last edited by NickTF; 09-11-2014 at 09:14 AM.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:30 AM   #9
CorneliusRox

Name: CorneliusRox
Title: Seasoned Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post
I'd bet near $100 that if you put in a stiffer return spring or two on your linkage this problem will disappear. ask me how I know..........

I had the exact same issue which is heavily exaggerated with the comps given the fact that they introduce so much more low rack fuel vs. any other dv (I've run nearly every combination out there). I found that my return springs were very very limp. I replaced one of the two return springs with a very stiff spring I had laying around from a carb linkage kit. Now it's smooth as a baby's rear end!
You're talking about the two return springs on the linkage right in the throttle linkage and tps area? I might try this.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
NickTF

Name: NickTF
Title: Single turbo turd.
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorneliusRox View Post
You're talking about the two return springs on the linkage right in the throttle linkage and tps area? I might try this.
Yep, you got it. I'm 95% sure it will solve any bucking/surging issues you're experiencing especially if when you engage cruise control the issue is going away. I had this problem with 70cc dvs and it was made worse when going to comp dvs. Stiffer spring, problem solved.

Closed Thread