How much horsepower?

bogl

I've got a 2015 cummins w/aisin tranny and I recently got it deleted, studded, and tuned by Silver Bullet.

I want to take it to the next step but I'm a little nervous about the tranny. I love my exhaust brake so I kept the he351ve so I'm upgrading it to a 67 compressor wheel and 67 turbine wheel. I also just ordered 90hp nozzles from ddp. I'm only running the stock CP3, and I would like to stay that way.

Can anyone tell me an approximate horsepower/torque that I'll be at? I just emailed Les but I wanted to get a few opinions on my exact configuration. My goal is getting the most HP out of the truck without having to do major tranny upgrades or changes.

I'm new to performance so please forgive me if I say something stupid, and thanks in advance for the replies.

I say this because I found a thread in cumminsforum where REVMAX says:

"Just did a unit for a customer in OR. Truck had a small set of twins and dual fuelers. Probably ~600-700hp. Original unit lasted 9k miles. So I would say around 450-500ish would be a somewhat safe area. "

I tow light loads 6k-11k occasionally and my toy hauler is about 12k, and I recently started sled pulling in stock class for fun. Not exactly sure where my current tune puts me but Les named it "trans killa".

897 with good tuning.

In all seriousness, it sounds like people are maxing around 525hp on a stock turbo with extremely high drive pressure and torque.

When you start trying to find that very upper limit and say you "want to stay there", you're probably about to get in too deep and start spending big money.

I'd say trust Les and keep it conservative... Unless you just have plenty of Bank!

I'd say 650-700hp will be a number to shoot for. I have the same wheels and machined housings for my 14 to try. I called hardway and was told the shaft will likely break especially if the tune isn't revised to ramp up and down slower. If I'm not satisfied I'll continue toward the sxe 366 or 369. A birdy said a company is almost done with an exhaust brake setup that will work off the factory buttons/controls. This was the only thing keeping me from the fixed turbo.

HA!

Tha trans killas!!

Lez has it down with the Aisin though. My boss's 6.7 Aisin makes ass cheeks clap

Is there a big enough following of the Aisin to warrant solid tuning and aftermarket hard parts yet?
And how do they hold up with just tuning? It looks like they have much smaller shafts than the Allison 1000's and 5r/6r's

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think a 67mm turbine will fit inside the vgt, I was thinking 64 was the max size.

The 67 "fits". It doesn't leave much between it and the nozzle ring in the housing. I am not a fan of it personally. A 63 inducer and 64mm turbine is a decent combo in them. Let the vgt do its job. Tuners can tune the vgt portion to eliminate drive pressure issues on top.

Just a follow up because I totally forgot to thank you guys for your imput. The tune, the nozzles and the 67/67 wheels in the turbo are fantastic. I absolutely love the truck. Unfortunately, I'm maxed out on fuel from my cp3, and my torque converter doesn't lock when I pull (and I've been told it never will, thanks aisin). It's held up to the abuse for about 3000 miles, 2 hooks, and hauling a 12k pound toy hauler 4 hours each way, and up a beast of a grade.

I thought I wanted to stay at this power range but now I'm thinking 800+. Got a built 47re but I'm thinking i should pay off the truck before I do anymore damage. lol

Last edited:
Sure, I changed out the injectors and turbo at the same time so I noticed quite a power change. During a sled pull I have it on level 5 of my tune. Under low boost it lets out a smoke cloud but cleans up TOO nicely down the tract. Not a bit of smoke to be seen under boost so I'd like to upgrade my CP3 in the future since Les told me I'm all maxed out on fuel. I'm fairly competitive in my area, and have gotten 4th and 5th out of 18-20 trucks. Lost to 1st by only 10 feet (all duramax) Got 1st once at a small hometown pull.

As far as a daily goes, it stills spools easily whether I'm towing or just driving around. Hard not to go fast in this thing.

I got it from Turbo Labs and so far it's held up.

I have been waiting for a chance to slap mine on. Housings are machined on my extra turbo.

E4511434-DF67-4261-9FD1-39A15CC95755_zpsinmuwfxt.jpg

50E6D509-2E03-4E6D-939B-FCF6F34E371C_zpskfzqppwz.jpg

0535FE47-FB6C-42E1-A849-2F4B9B02B143_zpsar2qhj5n.jpg

Looks awesome! That compressor wheel brought back memories of putting mine in and took my breath away for a second. I'll check mine out soon to see if there's any play and report back. The only change Les made to my tune when I installed it was change the vane position to lower drive pressure.

When I talked to hardway they mentioned it's important to change the vane movement to a more subtle motion to now stress the shaft as much. He also said don't waste my time with messing with upgrading the stock turbo.

Well I wanted to keep my exhaust brake (which still works perfectly), and I pull in stock class, which around here at least requires that you have a stock appearing turbo. The shaft is small, but it's held up so far. I'm even more curious now, and I'll be checking it out tomorrow since I've put it through a lot already.

Just for peace of mind. That same shaft size carries a 67mm turbine and ~66mm compressor to 500+hp in a Cm2250 ISX from the factory. Shaft size means less than tuning, driving characteristics, balance, and maintenance. The only shaft failures I have seen from hx35, he351, he400, hx40, etc.. were all from very old chargers that had been rubbing the housing or an older charger that let go between shifts ie. barked a wore out turbo hard. Keep an eye on it and you will be fine. No idea where turbo lab gets the 10 blade 67mm turbine he uses though so take that with a grain of salt.

Back