ideas for stubborn bolt

johnfak

So Im trying to get my 3 piece mani out. All bolts off in less than 5 mins using my impact except the 2 directly under the 3 piece join (bottom each side of join).

You cant use a socket there due to the casting clearance.
Spent 4 hours on one bolt - still not out.

Used impact with crows foot.
Breaker bar with crows foot.
Open ended wrench.
Open ended wrench with ratchet strap.

Getting nervous about stripping the bolt - its 10.9 but still - any other ideas on stubborn bolts ? :banghead:

Can you get a closed end wrench on it, then on the open side of the wrench put another closed wrench of similar size to make it easy to put some torque to.

Break or cut the bolt head off. Remove manifold. Weld nut to protruding stud. Heat from the weld will draw material out of the bolt and it'll come right out.

I mic'd out a 12pt socket (non impact) that was smaller walled. Found it hunting through tools. Managed to get it on with some hammer persuasion and she came right off.

What an effort for having slightly the wrong tool (right tool but wrong one was what worked in this case).......

thx guys

Break or cut the bolt head off. Remove manifold. Weld nut to protruding stud. Heat from the weld will draw material out of the bolt and it'll come right out.

That would be freaking hard under the manifold - no way to get to it really without removing entire passanger side fender ....however a small part of me was wondering if I was going to have to try and grind back part of the manifold or cut it ......... damn bolt

thx guys

Back