External Wastegates with Twins

Any benefit to running an external gate between chargers in the hotpipe? I've seen a couple trucks running this?

Chargers are 62/71/14 internal gate, over S480.

in addition to the gate on the small charger?

subscribing... something i was wondering myself

I am running dual external gates. 1 50mm off the exhaust manifold and 1 50mm off the hotpipe between chargers. Gives you control over both chargers and can protect the large charger from over speeding, esp. with nitrous or alot of fuel. Also allows you to control the back pressure much better. 66/74/13 (non gated housing) over a 480.

I say no if the 62 has a stainless housing on it. Those flow plenty.... unless you are spraying the crap out of it.

sinner are you discharging the first gate into the hot pipe or around 2nd charger all together?...

Into the hotpipe.

picture.php

Red Stroke the gate in the 62 is still putting all the exhaust into the 480. I agree the stainless housing works well protecting the 62 but does 0 for the 480. Like I said before the second gate is not needed unless a ton of spray or extremely large amounts of fuel are involved.

Into the hotpipe.

picture.php

Red Stroke the gate in the 62 is still putting all the exhaust into the 480. I agree the stainless housing works well protecting the 62 but does 0 for the 480. Like I said before the second gate is not needed unless a ton of spray or extremely large amounts of fuel are involved.

understandable. won't have insane amount of fuel dumped to it. possibility to spray.

but for some reason, these chargers don't clean up the fuel I'm putting to it now.

A second gate between chargers provides you the ability to not overspeed the primary charger - usually in the case of a tight exhaust housing

my bad sinner got the description, i need to work on my reading skills-

Last edited:
Into the hotpipe.

picture.php

I agree!

We set ours up so that the hp charger is maxed out, everything else is bypassed with the first external gate. Then we try and select a housing for the low pressure that will max out or get close to maxing out on fuel. Then we add a second gate and bypass the entire system (exhaust manifold to down pipe).

So along the same line as the OP, if I am going to spray it and I have an internal gated 62/71/14 over a non gated S480, where would be the best place to put an external gate and what size would be best?

So along the same line as the OP, if I am going to spray it and I have an internal gated 62/71/14 over a non gated S480, where would be the best place to put an external gate and what size would be best?

Depends on the amount of spray. Not all setups need a system gate. You might be better off running it and watching your backpressure before putting in a system gate.

Back