Need help, truck misses under load?

$lick

Hey guys, I know I'm new here, but I'm a long time reader.. and post a ton on CF. Anyhow, I'm having some trouble diagnosing whats going on with my truck right now, and I was hoping some of the experts over here would be able to shed some light on some possibilities.

Mods are in my sig, over the last week, the ddp90 nozzles went in, as well as the airdog 150 w/ hellman performance sump, and an Edge EZ.

Upon first test drive, second or third time getting on it 3/4 throttle, I threw code p0204, which is injector number four circuit assembly. Cleared the code with the smarty, and its stayed off, and i've been driving the truck way easy now, partially because I'm paranoid.

The issue going on now.. is a slight miss under load (while in Drive only). Regardless of boost level/rpm/gear I can hear and auditory 1/4 second miss in the exhaust note, which is paired with the slightest buck at the same time. I have also experienced this buck/seems like slight drop in rpm's while in drive stopped at a redlight, but not all the time, only four or five times now.

I do not have a fuel pressure gauge, or the low fuel pressure gauge hooked up to the AD150, but if you feel I should have that little <5psi warning light, by all means Ill buy it. But I feel that a fuel pressure gauge would be a better indicator i'm sure. Could this slight miss be caused by a quick drop in fuel pressure for some reason?

My other thoughts, back to the injectors that were pulled, nozzles replaced with ddp90's, and this code that was thrown, it has me thinking somethings going on with the (a) injector(s) or part of the assembly.

From my understanding of the code that was present..injector control circuit shorted to ground is a possibility, as well as loose wire to injector solenoid, or bad wire in 2nd injector rocker harness..the truck runs fine besides that auditory note in the exhaust like a tiny miss, so I feel like if its directly the injector related it'll run like complete dog crap.:what::what: Correct?

The diesel mechanic/friend of mine that did the install on the nozzles while I was wiring the edge/running the airdog/installing the hellman, believes its electrical related due to the symptoms. I'm taking it to him tomorrow and were going to go through it and see if we cant solve the issue. In the meantime, should I unhook the edge EZ to rule that out?

Current smarty tnt settings : SW4 tq1 tm2 rp default wastegate off. If that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the long read, Ive been searching and searching this code and these symtoms and have yet to come up with resolutions or similar symptoms.

Last edited:
The edge ez is coming off in the morning, and if that doesn't solve it the valve cover is and im going to go through all of the electrical connections, again if it was directly a faulty injector, it would be immediately noticeable

ok updates:

Edge EZ is off, and believe it or not I feel that its doing it WORSE now, maybe its just because she wasnt warmed up all the way, but its definitely missing more..I've got to drive 30 min to my mechanic so we can tear the valve cover off and i'm scared to drive it that far! Guess its all I can really do right now..all ideas are welcome in the meantime..

I would say that the increased RP with the EZ would mask the problem more, getting ready to take valve cover off and go through all connections, hopefully this gets figured out..

Ok guys, problem solved, connection on injector 5 was loose, cranked it down, checked the rest of em, fired it up, no problems. I know I didnt get many responses here to this thread, but just wanted to thank ya'll anyways, and hopefully if someone ever runs into this similar issue, they'll remember to check and make sure the connections are tight!

thanks brian! ill know better next time...I couldnt believe how hot my egt's were getting before I fixed this, I would touch 1250 under 2/3 throttle not even.. spike 1500 like it was nothing, I was like wow, do I really need to upgrade the turbo that bad? Fix the connection.. egt's are pretty normal now. But i'm still upgrading the turbo ;)

I was trying to make myself read to the bottom before I posted that it was an intermittant connection. Happens all the time with cat injectors. Even the oil getting into a loose stud can cause a problem. IF the cylinder was missing sufficiently, your egt was climbing because the engine was having to overcome the compression being built in the dead cylinder.

What voltage do cummins injectors operate on anyone?

Back