Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Swung by Pete dealer.. gave sales guy the basics on the mutt.. ~400hp 8.3, 13sp, 3.58 gears 255/70/22.5 rubber, 26k GVW, needs to be able to run 75mph min when out west.. ~160 WB with enough CA to run a SD trailer..

Comes back with 337 33k truck same rubber, 3000RDS w/PTO (resale reasoning ~$500 option now.. 2-3k after).. with 3.73-3.90 diff gears..

Look up gear ratios for 3000rds... Top 3
1:1
.75-.70
Top 3 for the rtlo164913

That 25-30% jump between direct and 1st OD is a ***** when pulling hard. same problem I had with my dmax... But 90% of the market wants auto something transmission..

And it's would be lucky to run 75 with 3.73-3.90 with 36" rubber

Swung by Pete dealer.. gave sales guy the basics on the mutt.. ~400hp 8.3, 13sp, 3.58 gears 255/70/22.5 rubber, 26k GVW, needs to be able to run 75mph min when out west.. ~160 WB with enough CA to run a SD trailer..

Comes back with 337 33k truck same rubber, 3000RDS w/PTO (resale reasoning ~$500 option now.. 2-3k after).. with 3.73-3.90 diff gears..

Look up gear ratios for 3000rds... Top 3
1:1
.75-.70
Top 3 for the rtlo164913

That 25-30% jump between direct and 1st OD is a ***** when pulling hard. same problem I had with my dmax... But 90% of the market wants auto something transmission..

And it's would be lucky to run 75 with 3.73-3.90 with 36" rubber

Whats the point here?

Your Mutt > new $33K truck?

try $100K for new truck meant 33,000lb gvw

sales guys wont listen... but what's new there??

and everyone wants an automatic or automated trans

What dealer? There is a big difference between them around here. Like KW I wouldn’t trust Dayton to order a pizza and get it right, same with Pete in Findlay.

Truckpaper is flooded with box trucks that could be shorted in an afternoon for less than 1/2 what new is. Manual/automated and Allison’s, some with small engines some with the ISL’s. 2015 for $49k is a way better place to start than a $100k+ for new. Gears are cheap but are a crutch for low HP.

I think this local truck started life as a box truck. Dealer is right about the PTO provision, this one didn’t have it and they didn’t know it until the truck was almost done. Allison didn’t have it and cost a ton to add it. 8.3 with Allison and is spunky.
cd23780a6169972e58a3e5d9e7cb66d2.jpg

What dealer? There is a big difference between them around here. Like KW I wouldn’t trust Dayton to order a pizza and get it right, same with Pete in Findlay.

Truckpaper is flooded with box trucks that could be shorted in an afternoon for less than 1/2 what new is. Manual/automated and Allison’s, some with small engines some with the ISL’s. 2015 for $49k is a way better place to start than a $100k+ for new. Gears are cheap but are a crutch for low HP.

I think this local truck started life as a box truck. Dealer is right about the PTO provision, this one didn’t have it and they didn’t know it until the truck was almost done. Allison didn’t have it and cost a ton to add it. 8.3 with Allison and is spunky.
cd23780a6169972e58a3e5d9e7cb66d2.jpg

What is the purpose of that truck?

Yeah I've seen those....maybe I haven't mess.with the electronics side of things enough to feel some what comfortable diving into on..

Grove City/Columbus is one and closest to me..
Mikes trucking in West jeff has alot of KWs With PX-13 with 4000rds Alisons both straight and truck tractor.. there nice on hard pack.. trans temp would shoot to 250° in soft ground at full weight when hauling stuff into a field.. they had a hard time keeping up with the 13/18sp trucks through the field.. always seamed like the autos needed more throttle to go same speed... When running 15-20mph.. ran several loads of b scrap from Cleveland to Middletown.. gov at 68 wasn't anything to write home about
My 454bbc passes them easily when loaded.. not as quickly as the 8.3/LMM

Pete is trying to compete with KW T440 with the 30" sleeper.. though poorly which frieghtliner and international MD trucks with more cab space

Can get a L9 with 450/1250 in the FIRE/EMS/MH/RV
Regular OTR is 370/1250

Basically get a quote see what's out there...what they are willing to do... Ive got a quote sitting here for a 2020 GM 6500HD both RC and CC with 2750RDS Alison in it~68/78k both 2wd

Next week should have new name on the side of my truck.. ~5yrs time for a change..

What is the purpose of that truck?

haul media into areas your common 3-7axle straight trucks can't get into...
Little 3-4yd buckets small driveways Columbia gas has alot of those and a case 580 king backhoe loader on a trailer behind it

Yeah I've seen those....maybe I haven't mess.with the electronics side of things enough to feel some what comfortable diving into on..

Grove City/Columbus is one and closest to me..
Mikes trucking in West jeff has alot of KWs With PX-13 with 4000rds Alisons both straight and truck tractor.. there nice on hard pack.. trans temp would shoot to 250° in soft ground at full weight when hauling stuff into a field.. they had a hard time keeping up with the 13/18sp trucks through the field.. always seamed like the autos needed more throttle to go same speed... When running 15-20mph.. ran several loads of b scrap from Cleveland to Middletown.. gov at 68 wasn't anything to write home about
My 454bbc passes them easily when loaded.. not as quickly as the 8.3/LMM

Pete is trying to compete with KW T440 with the 30" sleeper.. though poorly which frieghtliner and international MD trucks with more cab space

Can get a L9 with 450/1250 in the FIRE/EMS/MH/RV
Regular OTR is 370/1250

Basically get a quote see what's out there...what they are willing to do... Ive got a quote sitting here for a 2020 GM 6500HD both RC and CC with 2750RDS Alison in it~68/78k both 2wd

Next week should have new name on the side of my truck.. ~5yrs time for a change..

How often you in a field, and if you are is this a real issue? I’m not an Allison fan for anything that sees mostly highway use. If your doing a lot of stop and go they’re great but shifting isn’t that hard. Don’t worry about the engine rating, hp is easy and almost all the parts are the same. Dealer will break one off in you for some special BS rating that is nothing more than a warranty charge and a 5min flash. In the same week we had a KW with an ISL and an 8LL and an ISC with an Allison and the ISL would easily wax the 8.3 even after added fuel. The 8.3 was in a junkliner and the radiator was a bit small compared to the KW.

I wouldn’t buy an IH at any price, and freightliners are easy to do dash work on since most of the screws are usually broken out. For anyone that says there isn’t a difference in quality hasn’t worked on many different brands. The only way IH could make their trucks any bigger of a POS would be to physically make them larger. Springfield plant has over 1000 red tagged trucks that can’t be shipped because of issues. Freightliner’s wiring is bad, expect harness issues. They put fuse panel under the hood facing up mounted to a steel plate that holds water. The green wiring goblin is a standard option with them. Greene county has several FL plow trucks and there is a reason they are having their fleet of older Pete’s completely refurbished with new rears, stainless beds.

How often you in a field, and if you are is this a real issue? I’m not an Allison fan for anything that sees mostly highway use. If your doing a lot of stop and go they’re great but shifting isn’t that hard. Don’t worry about the engine rating, hp is easy and almost all the parts are the same. Dealer will break one off in you for some special BS rating that is nothing more than a warranty charge and a 5min flash. In the same week we had a KW with an ISL and an 8LL and an ISC with an Allison and the ISL would easily wax the 8.3 even after added fuel. The 8.3 was in a junkliner and the radiator was a bit small compared to the KW.

I wouldn’t buy an IH at any price, and freightliners are easy to do dash work on since most of the screws are usually broken out. For anyone that says there isn’t a difference in quality hasn’t worked on many different brands. The only way IH could make their trucks any bigger of a POS would be to physically make them larger. Springfield plant has over 1000 red tagged trucks that can’t be shipped because of issues. Freightliner’s wiring is bad, expect harness issues. They put fuse panel under the hood facing up mounted to a steel plate that holds water. The green wiring goblin is a standard option with them. Greene county has several FL plow trucks and there is a reason they are having their fleet of older Pete’s completely refurbished with new rears, stainless beds.

Company drivers drive company trucks and have little say if any how they're specd out...

I don't see me getting rid of either of my junkliners 60s any Time soon..

I had a '00 T300 ISC/super10 for couple weeks.. just uncomfortable with the cab layout.. sold it.

I totally expect an ISL/L9 to out run a C8.3/ISC especially with stock H1C/HX40 still on them lol..

I Know you'd rather see me get a full blown class 8 right? Lol

Company drivers drive company trucks and have little say if any how they're specd out...

I don't see me getting rid of either of my junkliners 60s any Time soon..

I had a '00 T300 ISC/super10 for couple weeks.. just uncomfortable with the cab layout.. sold it.

I totally expect an ISL/L9 to out run a C8.3/ISC especially with stock H1C/HX40 still on them lol..

I Know you'd rather see me get a full blown class 8 right? Lol

Yea but your not a company driver, you can buy a late model truck and make it whatever you want. I built what I wanted and was tens of thousands cheaper than new. I searched for something as close to what I wanted as I could find and changed the rest. However you need to start with something built in this decade, with parts that are still available. Odd ball parts increase downtime and costs.

My point of bringing up the ISL vs the ISC is you were worried about transmission ratios. Don’t ever replace HP with gears.

Na you can keep your little truck, it’s a market I don’t understand but to each their own. You could buy one of those California single axle hay hauler semis. The look of medium duty without all the downfalls. You can get a real engine and driveline.

Like Malibu said, short driveways and getting behind houses. Guy has a fleet of 6 axle dumps and that little truck is always busy and probably makes better money.

Interesting. I'm surprised they need such a heavy spec chassis for a dump that small. I wouldve thought a lighter front end would make turning easier and smaller tires would do less damage to the terrain. Bet they cant even get enough weight far enough forward to use up the capacity of the front axle with a wheelbase that short.

Yea but your not a company driver, you can buy a late model truck and make it whatever you want. I built what I wanted and was tens of thousands cheaper than new. I searched for something as close to what I wanted as I could find and changed the rest.
You could buy one of those California single axle hay hauler semis. The look of medium duty without all the downfalls. You can get a real engine and driveline.

This right here is solid advice. Pretty much what I’m doing with my truck.
There are a lot of good trucks available in Ca right now.
I bought mine out of California because of its age. I’m going to have right at $30,000 in it (including the purchase price of the truck), and it’ll have new wheels, tires, brakes, wheel bearings, wheel seals, frame stretch, frame paint, car hauler front axle, car hauler rear suspension etc, etc. I’m not a big Freightliner fan, but for a truck that has enough hood you can actually get to the motor, a C15 Cat, 13 speed, and properly configured tanks, stacks, step boxes, I couldn’t turn it down.
Some days I get a little tired of building stuff, but if you want what you want, BUILD IT!

Last edited:
I had a pic of a 379 single axle a friend drove. It was either on 19.5’s or super low pro 22.5’s and pulled an enclosed gooseneck. Had an 18spd and a C15, was a real tire fryer.

There used to be a Green W9 on truckpaper that was short single axle and had a C13 that I though would be fun to mod.

We own a 99 FL80 and a 2000 T800...same GVW, both single axle day cabs...Fit and finish is MILES ahead on the KW, and every bump you hot doesn't make the dash want to fall in our damn lap. NEVER again will there be a Freightliner product in my fleet. Same with IH since I have a buddy who works on 50 of them.

We just bought a new 6500HD for a Rollback, so far, very pleased. Power is good, but we're not heavy at all, and I love the big Allison in it. If you want to take a look at it, or drive it, it's here almost all the time.

If I was doing what you are Adam, I'd buy a big truck, with a real engine, and make it lighter. We got lucky as hell when we found a 33K GVW T800 with an N14 LOL

Chris

Back