Turbine choices

2007 5.9

West Coast Dyno Modifier
Need help deciding between a 87/80 and a 83/74.

Pros/cons of each?

Both would be in a tight housing .91 for 74 and 1.0 for 80.

Truck is a CR with plenty of fuel and tuning, tight auto that dd and drags and pulls...basically a triple duty setup.

I would go 83/74 with 1.0 but depends more on the compressor inducer size to me.

I ran a .9 then 1.10 on my s475 with the 83/74 and it was a easily noticeable difference. Didnt feel like it picked up top end power but boost and egt was slightly lower

If this was only DD/drag with more DD usage, I'd say the 83/74 wheel. However, since you'll be pulling too you'll want the 87 wheel. I've run both wheels in both the .90 & 1.0 housing, all with 75mm comp wheels.

With the 83/74 wheel I preferred the .90 housing over the 1.0. Drive pressure was slightly lower, ~5#, with the 1.0 vs the .90 but you lose the streetability the .90 had to offer. EGTs were about the same on the track with both housings, but on the street the 1.0 ran 100-200* warmer, as it took a little longer to spool and more energy to keep spooled. With the 475/83/.90 boost was 55# to 70#drive, with drive climbing towards the end of the track. With the 475/83/1.0 boost was 50# to 60-65# drive, where drive held constant at the top end of the track but surged shifting into OD.

As for the 87/81 wheel I actually prefer the 1.0 to the .90. Yes the .90 does spool quicker and is easier to drive on the street, but with the amount of flow this wheel is capable of, the difference in spool up/drivability is negligible. For my setup it took 150 RPM more to spool the 1.0 housing. Also the 1.0 housing will help you keep your EGTs more in check during a pull or pass.

All in all I think the 83/74 wheel will be too small for your goals. When I read "plenty of fuel" it makes me think you're at least 125% over, and most likely more. All my experience was with 100% overs and Smarty tuning. Believe me if I can street drive the 87 wheel you can.

It's 95% DD and 3% puller and 2% racer.

I'm sure anything is better than the S366 I'm currently running.

I'm leaning 83/1.0 just for the spool and what the truck is primarily used for.

I know a tuner if you need some help making it work.. lol
I would go big Les if you after hp, you can tune in the driveability.. stupid cr's.. oh wait maybe Im just jealous.. LOL

Les you should try my charger, I have a replacement anyway. That would give you an idea and might give you a idea of which way you want to go.

It's 95% DD and 3% puller and 2% racer.

I'm sure anything is better than the S366 I'm currently running.

I'm leaning 83/1.0 just for the spool and what the truck is primarily used for.

I was hesitant when I first switched to the 87, just because everyone said I couldn't drive it on the street. They were wrong. Does it respond different than the 83, yes, but I kid you not the lightened version of the 87 spooled 100 rpm faster than my 83 did and built boost faster once lit. If you're seriously worried about drivability then roll with a .90 housing. Then if that housing is too small for play time, just swap in a 1.0 or 1.10. It only takes like 35 minutes to swap exhaust housings.

I know a tuner if you need some help making it work.. lol
I would go big Les if you after hp, you can tune in the driveability.. stupid cr's.. oh wait maybe Im just jealous.. LOL

I agree, especially since you're using EFI Live. I gained 5 mph in the 1/4 just by switching to the 87 wheel. I've never dynoed so I don't know what the exact power difference was, but I can say I was "stalled" at 11.4x for awhile, and the 87 wheel fixed that. Went from 11.49@117.7 (475/83) to 11.24@122.2 (475/87), nothing else changed just the turbo.

Last edited:
Sounds like a tuned big single for the street, then a balls out race tuned for the track. Evolution is always welcome im my option.

Of course, I never get my good runs on film. :doh: lol this was the run after my 11.24, ended up going 11.41. I let boost get too high on the line and it pushed through the brakes, red lighted, then spun the tires after the launch. Not too shabby for making an ass of myself at the line.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_QNATUVcf0"]drew testing new setup - YouTube[/ame]

Back