Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Sled Pulling > 2WD Pullers
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #241
kino_fab

Name: kino_fab
Title: KTPA Tech Official
Member`s Gallery
It's a pretty big rearend. just visually looking at it, it looks to be about 1/3rd bigger than a F106 housing. All we know is it came from a GM 2.5 ton truck and seems the only gear sets you can get for it are 5.17 and 7.28.

Tech Official for:
Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #242
blacksm0king

Name: blacksm0king
Title: The Black Smoke King
Member`s Gallery
hmm, do you know what it's called?

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM   #243
2wpuller

Name: 2wpuller
Title: letting the smoke fly
Member`s Gallery
I think Lynn,s is a Eaton
But I could be wrong I'm getting forgetful old age you know

Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
MCS MidwestPerformanceDiesel
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #244
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
ok, I'll keep looking around. I may go to the other semi junkyard, but they price stuff for 1/2 of what they cost new, so I'm assuming it would be higher.

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #245
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the solid front suspension, or just a description of how you have it done?

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:27 PM   #246
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
got 5x20's on the way, 14mm pump top coming soon, airdog will follow, and a clutch. trying to sell the front end parts. anyways that was just an update, I got a question. This is just an Idea that popped into my head. I was reading up on air to water intercoolers, and an Idea struck me, what if I was to build a box, put a 4" inlet on one side, then inside the bos is a 6-8" diameter pipe, then back to 4" on the outlet to the intake. then for pulls fill the box with dry Ice. would this cool the air sufficiently or over cool it, or work well? Just trying to get y'all to put your thinking caps on. I know that how much it cools would be determined by how long the box is. so Thoughts?

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:36 PM   #247
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
not enough surface area to cool the air. You would only cool the air that touches the sides of the inner pipe. That is why intercoolers and radiators have small slots and fins. It's all about surface area.

As for the front suspension, Lynn's truck is a cab and chassis so it basically has the same suspension as a 4wd, just with a normal straight axle instead of a drive axle. We just took the sway bar and front coil springs out and the axle sits on the bump stops. We have a couple piece of square tubing welded from the frame to the straight axle at an angle to hold it all in place. That setup may change some on our rebuild of the truck.

On trucks that use an A-arm setup, we basically just replace the coil spring with either c-channel or tubing heavy enough to take the load when the front end hits the ground. Just remove the springs, use a jack to set your ride hieght and weld in some pieces.

Tech Official for:

Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #248
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
We have some 5.5"tubing I could use. I understand about the surface area. I was thinking the added coldness of.the dry ice would help. What about a bunch of 1" pipes? This is just some thoughts. I don't let this stuff just drop till it's thoroughly thought through.

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #249
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
it would be a huge intercooler to get the same cooling effects as a standard air to water or even an air to air. Once you got enough surface area from it, you would probably sacrafise the flow and velocity depending on how you made it. Only other thing i can say about it is just try it and see what happens.

Tech Official for:

Old 11-22-2012, 10:11 PM   #250
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
You have some great points there, would it be an improvement to turn the 2nd gen IC I have into a air to water? do you think I'll have hot enough air to worry about this anyways, or would upgrading from the tiny 1st gen IC I have to the 2nd gen be plenty for now?

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #251
2wpuller

Name: 2wpuller
Title: letting the smoke fly
Member`s Gallery
I would look for a water to air cooler use your money toward that instead of buying a air to air.

Dale
Sponsors
GoerendTransmission
Haisley Machine
MCS MidwestPerformanceDiesel
ShowMePerformance
Snow Performance

Old 11-22-2012, 10:32 PM   #252
kino_fab

Member`s Gallery
You can buy an air to water fairly cheap. Air to Water Intercooler

I've seen stock air to air cooler made to air to water, but not sure if there was any bennefit over a conventional air to water. altho anything would be better than no cooler at all.

Tech Official for:

Old 11-23-2012, 07:23 AM   #253
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
The 2nd Gen ic is free. Lol I'll look at the ones you linked if I can afford one I'll get one. Otherwise it'll have to wait and I'll throw the 2nd Gen in.

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:56 PM   #254
Fireman450

Name: Fireman450
Title: Daring to be diffrent!!
Member`s Gallery
Looked into plating a stock IC a while back.. Average cost is aroind $350 in aluminum and labor. So it was justifiable to look into one of the frozen boost ICs. Many threads on these and pics of set ups as well.. run a search. Also the little pumps they send will never flow enough water.. I run a Rule 14a 3500gph pump on mine.. fixing to run 2 on this dueal core IC i have now.. much bigger than the last one.
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #255
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
alright, thanks. I don't think i'll be able to swing it now, maybe towards the end of winter. I went back to the semi junkyard and showed him the pics of your rear end, he's gonna try to get me one. he's pretty sure he scrapped one a while back. lol he said it would be a maximum of $400, I'm hoping it's lower.

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #256
Fireman450

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksm0king View Post
alright, thanks. I don't think i'll be able to swing it now, maybe towards the end of winter. I went back to the semi junkyard and showed him the pics of your rear end, he's gonna try to get me one. he's pretty sure he scrapped one a while back. lol he said it would be a maximum of $400, I'm hoping it's lower.
Good deal.. I think iv got 250 in mine, Check around with any 2wd gas pullers in your area.. the know where to find all kinds like that.
Play Toy:1994 Dodge 12V, SMOKE SHOWIN! 2WD Pulling Team. vs. 3.0 in progress. Thanks to Northeast Diesel, MUMAU DIESEL , PullTech Chassis & Fab, Cooper High Performance, SKPP, Joe Gibbs Racing/Driven Racing Oils and all my friends and family!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #257
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
I'm trying, it's kinda hard to track them down. I don't know any of them, and can't seem to find anywhere online where those guys hang out.

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #258
Fireman450

Member`s Gallery
Any local Pulling Orgs close to you run a gas 2wd class?? Usually those guys just hang out at the track..lol not many online forums here. Borrowing ideas off these guys is how i got the idea to set my truck up just have to alter some things since going from a NA gas to a turbo charged Diesel.
Ill try and get some pics up tonight of my last set up. Just got through cutting everything off. Fixing to use this stack of 4130 Chromemoly i have to re do my ladder bar set up.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #259
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
Alright, thanks. I don't go to many of the other pulls, I'll see if there's any soon, I'll run out to one and start chatting those guys up. I have talked to one and basically his advice was solid suspension and locking the rear end.

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #260
blacksm0king

Member`s Gallery
Alright, I have been kinda busy with work and all. Anyways, I have the 5x20's in. ordering the air dog Friday, 14mm rotor is next week. then I'm gonna build up money for a while. I have decided that I won't have enough funds this year for a water to air IC so I stuck the 2nd gen one in. I also hung one of those st50's from the shop on there. Don't know if it'll work or not, but if it don't I now have the truck set up for a t6 turbo. I'd say I'll have the air dog and 14mm rotor this month, and I'll start buying head studs, valve springs and what not in January. now for pics. The IC is finished, the pipes are just mocked up for now. I had it running, and it would make 10psi with my stock sticks, truck was sputtering from running out of fuel on top. I think the air dog and 14mm rotor will solve fuel problems.

1993 2wd sled dragger.

Closed Thread