Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area- Dodge > Dodge Tech > 03-07 3rd Gen.
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
12valvePwr96

Name: 12valvePwr96
Title: Truck Under Construction
Member`s Gallery
06 with Weird ass AC issues

Got an '06 3500 in my shop doing some weird stuff.. Customer brought it in because the air wouldn't kick on. Evacuated the system, leak tested fine, it had a stored code for the pressure switch so we changed it out along with a new compressor per customer request, and no change. BUT, I can command the AC clutch to come on through the TIPM with a Snap-On Verus. We're leaning towards the actual AC control switch on the dash being bad. What do you guys think? If the TIPM was bad, would I still be able to command the AC on with the scanner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEAKSUP View Post
Popcorn Sutton would kill you all.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #2
59turbo

Name: 59turbo
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Can you read the tipm to see if it sees a command from the control head to turn the compressor on? If you can then the tipm is bad but I wouldn't think you could command the compressor on if the tipm was bad. If you can't see an input from the control head to the tipm then I'd see if you actually have an input from the control head on the bottom of the tipm.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:27 AM   #3
SixOhh

Name: SixOhh
Title: EPA unfriendly
Member`s Gallery
funny this is posted.... i am on my 4th tipm right now and this one is not commanding the a/c clutch. it cost me a new compressor to find this out.

With the compressor unplugged i see 12v coming from the TIPM, BUT after messing around with a power probe i found out that as soon as you plug it back in and complete the circuit you get nothing.

i will never get rid of my baby but words cannot describe how much i hate the as$hole that came up with the idea of a non serviceable open loop style POS. last time i lost the TIPM the truck was brand new and i had NO trailer lights, after that my toy hauler wiring ate up another one.

and FWIW, i only work on dodge trucks in my shop and i do a LOT of A/C work and the A/C controls have never been the culprit.
H-Town Off-Road

Old 08-25-2016, 03:43 AM   #4
Sanger

Name: Sanger
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Had a similar issue, had a new AC compressor replace on a 06 for some reason it would pull more load on TIPM then it liked, replaced it again from a different company and it works fine.

If you hard start it by putting another 12v source to it will it stay on?

Not a fan of the TIPM.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
4x4dually

Name: 4x4dually
Title: Moderator
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhh View Post
With the compressor unplugged i see 12v coming from the TIPM, BUT after messing around with a power probe i found out that as soon as you plug it back in and complete the circuit you get nothing.
This is indicative of a bad connector/connection. The connection will pass just enough electrons to make a high impedance digital multi-meter read +12 VDC then dropout when loaded.

Not sure if that helps....but I've seen this a few times on other junk.

"There are people far less intelligent than you making a living doing this stuff." - Jeff Mumau

Old 08-31-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
Grudgeguy

Name: Grudgeguy
Title: 1st gen moron
Member`s Gallery
Wanna sell the good compressor? ?

Sold 2 93's
97 cclb 4k gsk, 5x14, T3 S366, ATS trans, S&B.
06 cclb 100hp sticks, 64/65/12
SB NOS 74 Duster chaos on 26x8.5 tires
THANKS MAD FABRICATION

Old 09-01-2016, 06:03 AM   #7
dangerous06

Name: dangerous06
Title: diesel tech
Member`s Gallery
The wire harness on these trucks suck over time they just disintegrate the insulation and then they touch poof! Or they just break! right at the connector! THE TIPM is a pain but has some cool resets built into it! If you hook up to a bad trailer it will shut off power to it. It's programmed to do this 250 times before shutting off permanently!

Closed Thread