Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
blkout

Name: blkout
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
2004 Freightliner question

Does anyone have any experience with a fld112? Was told it has a mercedes rated at 425 hp and an automatic transmission. I know nothing about this combination. Does the auto suck up alot of power? The truck has 900k plus and the dealer claims to know no history on the truck. Personaly i dislike autos for towing. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
6.4 F-350

Name: 6.4 F-350
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Unless it's dirt cheap I would tell you to run away, I have heard nothing but bad about the Mercedes motors.

2008 F-350 Sold
Spartan AFE
1998 Dodge someday pullin truck

Old 11-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
AllCrankedUp

Name: AllCrankedUp
Title: puller
Member`s Gallery
The mercedes is ok until you have to replace turbo. Not a cheap piece.and as for the automatic, they are very clumsy when it come to backing up close to stuff and being around farm machinery and grain augers. Very jerky.but they are pretty sweet on the open road.

Old 11-16-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
6.5tdshortbus

Name: 6.5tdshortbus
Title: broke and still spending
Member`s Gallery
Is it a true automatic transmission or is it a eaton auto shift ?

Truck- 2002 dodge 2500 ccsb 6spd

Beater- 1995 dodge 1500 rcsb

Old 11-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
1-5-3-6-2-4

Name: 1-5-3-6-2-4
Title: Low-Tech Redneck
Member`s Gallery
Sounds like an MBE4000 for sure. I worked for the dealer for those during their heyday with detroit. In my professional opinion, they suck. For more reasons than just the turbo.

Eaton autoshift or Allison automatic. Tranny is one of those two no doubt as mentioned. Either will do the job just fine if they're in good shape.

I think its an Allison though. It would be a 3000 series in that size and year of truck. Lock up clutch in the converter doesn't waste any more fuel or power than would be expected. Truely and strongly recommend useing genuine Allison Transynd oil in it. Yes it is more expensive than regular ATF. but YES it is that much better for the longevity of those transmissions. Plus transynd allows extended drain intervals too.

---------------------------------------------------
'06 Ford F450 CCSB Lariate 37" Toyos Ppump 24v
'94 Dodge 2500 2wd RCLB 12v auto
'73 Camaro RS/Z-28 - soon LS3 stroked and forged

Closed Thread