Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech- General Diesel > General Diesel Tech
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Diesel Tech Farm equipment, Medium Duty, Big Rigs, and other General discussion can be found in here.

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #21
DISTURBED

Name: DISTURBED
Title: YEA WE RIDE THE SHORT BUS
Member`s Gallery
Oh and the frame is the same width as a semi. The 5th wheel I have on it came off a semi and on to the topkick with no mods to either

01 CTD Retired sled puller, dedicated "Twin Turbo" tow rig
96 CTD "TOO" Disturbed 3.0 - Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance
96 CTD "The Sickness" 2.6/2.8- Built by Disturbed Diesel Performance

Old 09-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
dirty_max

Name: dirty_max
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthunder7.3 View Post
you probly can find someone to flash it but the engine won't last if you don't do the hard iron changes. a 3126 doesn't have a high life expectancy anywayz if it has had the guts pulled out of it. how many miles are on it now? how heavy are you loading it? i could be mistaken but i believe in the topkick chassis it would be a tight fit to go any bigger of an engine for a swap but maybe a c-9 would go into it. they are sleeved so they can be overhauled instead of thrown away when they wear out.
what he said, dont do it without the iron changes. the 3126 was pretty well known for breaking piston rings as is. imo, if the engine that you work all day every day with aint doin the trick, then swing a different engine that will. im all about performance but you dont want to tweak to hard on your machine that makes you money. just ends up costing more in the long run when it wears out faster and you have a bunch of downtime. getting it done slow and sloppy beats not getting it done at all

Old 09-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
homewrecker

Name: homewrecker
Title: gear jammer
Member`s Gallery
When I worked at CAT I drove a Topkick with a 3116 that was tweaked with no hard parts changed. It would flat out move. We had 3 Freight shakers with 3126's and was told the same thing about hard parts needed to up the hp. Never asked the difference between the 2. Didnt really care being I had the faster truck. lol

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
FI 63/68/.91 ETR-HO S480/92/1.25
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 09-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #24
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_max View Post
what he said, dont do it without the iron changes. the 3126 was pretty well known for breaking piston rings as is. imo, if the engine that you work all day every day with aint doin the trick, then swing a different engine that will. im all about performance but you dont want to tweak to hard on your machine that makes you money. just ends up costing more in the long run when it wears out faster and you have a bunch of downtime. getting it done slow and sloppy beats not getting it done at all
Im not really concerned with longevity. Its a toy hauler that gets run a couple hundred miles one way and a couple hundred back home on the weekends. I have a pretty cool hotrod on the trailer and my hauler wont get out of its own way and i cant stand that.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #25
LReiff

Name: LReiff
Title: The Antistock
Member`s Gallery
A p7100 would teach it some new tricks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #26
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LReiff View Post
A p7100 would teach it some new tricks...
Yes it would but that is a whole nother bag of worms that i dont really feel like fighting

Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
If you're going to attempt a power increase with the heui fuel system I would first off make sure you have the biggest stock injectors available for that engine model. Then I would make sure the hpop is operating 100% and that the sensors and regulator working properly. Think of it as a early 7.3 powerstroke and work on it in a similar fashion.

Quote:
If anyone thinks the internet is serious they should seriously log off and burn their laptop.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #28
homewrecker

Member`s Gallery
What are you wanting to get it up to? My friend that still works at Cat is looking at your s/n right now and seeing what they can do here in NC.

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #29
LReiff

Member`s Gallery
Just get the sn for a 350 HP model and have it flashed to that.

Quote:

Old 09-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #30
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Its at 210 and I would like it to be 300. I'm not looking for anything crazy as I do know these things are junk

Old 09-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #31
homewrecker

Member`s Gallery
My friend is saying that Cat has so many checks in place it is about impossible to flash the ecm without chance of getting in trouble. He said if it was mine he would do it cause he trust I wouldnt come back in 6 months later complaining about my melted pistons but a strangers, no way. But there is ways around it. He can find a used ecm, erase it, enter a s/n from say an emergency vehicle, flash it and sell it to me then if I sell it to the end user it wont come back on him. Make sense? Really makes me appreciate a Cummins. lol

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #32
Burn Down

Name: Burn Down
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
My friend is saying that Cat has so many checks in place it is about impossible to flash the ecm without chance of getting in trouble. He said if it was mine he would do it cause he trust I wouldnt come back in 6 months later complaining about my melted pistons but a strangers, no way. But there is ways around it. He can find a used ecm, erase it, enter a s/n from say an emergency vehicle, flash it and sell it to me then if I sell it to the end user it wont come back on him. Make sense? Really makes me appreciate a Cummins. lol
Someone is still going to have to pay for the programing... I work for a Cat Dealer in Alaska. When I flash a re-power into a truck engine, I have to get factory passwords. Once I have the passwords the dealership gets billed for the new flash file and re-power, It has the service tool number and laptop number with the bill from Cat. The dealer is going to come looking for payment from that laptop. Savy lol?

With that said, just tell the dealer you don't care about the risk and will sign a no sue the dealer or cat if I burn this baby down clause.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 AM   #33
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
Someone is still going to have to pay for the programing... I work for a Cat Dealer in Alaska. When I flash a re-power into a truck engine, I have to get factory passwords. Once I have the passwords the dealership gets billed for the new flash file and re-power, It has the service tool number and laptop number with the bill from Cat. The dealer is going to come looking for payment from that laptop. Savy lol?

With that said, just tell the dealer you don't care about the risk and will sign a no sue the dealer or cat if I burn this baby down clause.
not exactly. if you wash the ecm first it would be just like if you were flashing a "new" ecm, cat would never know the difference and you would not be billed. we do that on occasion for special customers that dont wanna pay for the rerate.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #34
dirty_max

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewrecker View Post
When I worked at CAT I drove a Topkick with a 3116 that was tweaked with no hard parts changed. It would flat out move. We had 3 Freight shakers with 3126's and was told the same thing about hard parts needed to up the hp. Never asked the difference between the 2. Didnt really care being I had the faster truck. lol
a 3116 and a 3126 are totally different creatures. its very easy to just "tweak" a 3116. and there is no way to tell what hp rating you are bumping it up to by just tweaking it, so your not going to find anything to tell you that you need different iron.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #35
DISTURBED

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

I did tell my CAT dealer here in town that I would sign what ever say they aren't at fault if something happens to it and they still said to bad. I just understand why its such a big deal. I own it, its paid for if I want it 1000 hp I should be able to set it there with out having to go ask the great CAT company if its ok if I do something to a truck I own. I'm kinda glad they quit putting engines in trucks. That's really kinda BS but its the way they run their business. I'm glad all the pickups aren't that hard to get into.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #36
revolutiondsl

Name: revolutiondsl
Title: Cat buys my Cummins parts
Member`s Gallery
I work for Cat the corporation not a dealer. I could maybe get a flash if I had a S/N. I'll do some asking around.

Old 09-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #37
homewrecker

Member`s Gallery
Quote:

He did mention that Cat charges the dealer $250 for the file and the dealer marks it up from there. If none of the dealers are willing to re flash then another ecm is what is needed or someone with pirated software.

Sent from Razr Maxx

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 09-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #38
homewrecker

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by revolutiondsl View Post
I work for Cat the corporation not a dealer. I could maybe get a flash if I had a S/N. I'll do some asking around.
S/N is in the first post.

Sent from Razr Maxx

05 2500 QC Laramie sport
Garmon built tranny
dual pumps
105% injectors

Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 AM   #39
Burn Down

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_max View Post
not exactly. if you wash the ecm first it would be just like if you were flashing a "new" ecm, cat would never know the difference and you would not be billed. we do that on occasion for special customers that dont wanna pay for the rerate.
Im sure there are ways around it. I haven't been willing to loose my job over a flash file yet though...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #40
Burn Down

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBED View Post
I did tell my CAT dealer here in town that I would sign what ever say they aren't at fault if something happens to it and they still said to bad. I just understand why its such a big deal. I own it, its paid for if I want it 1000 hp I should be able to set it there with out having to go ask the great CAT company if its ok if I do something to a truck I own. I'm kinda glad they quit putting engines in trucks. That's really kinda BS but its the way they run their business. I'm glad all the pickups aren't that hard to get into.
They are just covering there butt. The Dealer and Cat don't want your engine blown up, even if you don't care, it's still bad press... They have made it hard to rerate for that reason alone. But with that said, it is your engine and you should be able to do what you want with it. Try one of these other guys or I can look into it.

Im glad they got out of truck engines to, I hate the little bastages

Closed Thread