Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > The Starting Line > Drag Racing
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar

Drag Racing Where ALL Racers are Welcome- From ET Bracket, all the way to ProStreet and Top Diesel!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:48 PM   #1
coldsmoke

Name: coldsmoke
Title: freezing
Member`s Gallery
nhra water relocation

so right on the first paragraph of cooling in the nhra rules it says radiators must be in stock location of the vehicle .ive seen a few guys with radiators in the beds and wonder is there a new adendum that i missed or how do they get away with this? i want todo something similiar and just run a tranny cooler for the coolant in the bed or just a couple feet of hose going from upper to lower inlets with nothing inbetween since i dont ever get hot enough to justify having a radiator.basically just water in the block . will be filling it next year but until then wanting bare minimum approach for water in the block.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
bgreen776

Name: bgreen776
Title: White Collar Fabricator
Member`s Gallery
I'm curious about this as well.

There are many rules that seem to be overlooked on a regular basis. Aftermarket axles, fuel cells mounted below the top of the tires, coolant instead of water, etc.

'03 2wd - 66/483|Coffman UDC|BBi Stg 3's|34" M/T's|Fab9|4link|25.5 SFI Chassis

Old 01-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #3
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
That's a stupid rule. Where's the "stock location" on a car with a glass front and engine setback?? There's only about a billion out there. I've never seen that one enforced.

I have seen the "no coolant" one enforced.

Old 01-31-2016, 03:52 PM   #4
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
il just ask my local track and if they say no well i guess its just time for it to be filled.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:02 PM   #5
DIESEL_POWER

Name: DIESEL_POWER
Title: NGM Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Follow the rules or don't race. I can't stand guys who blindly build and then get upset cause they didn't look at the rule book.

It's good to know what the rules are not only will it keep you safe, but it could be the difference in a win or a loss, if protested.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
what do u mean uve seen the no coolant one enforced? theres a new rule about filled blocks?

Old 01-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #7
unfinished business

Name: unfinished business
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
I think he ment running straight water

Old 01-31-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
o i c now .thanks

Old 01-31-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
bgreen776

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIESEL_POWER View Post
Follow the rules or don't race. I can't stand guys who blindly build and then get upset cause they didn't look at the rule book.

It's good to know what the rules are not only will it keep you safe, but it could be the difference in a win or a loss, if protested.
Where did that come from?! No need to be rude, the guy is asking the right questions.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:12 PM   #10
JQmile

Name: JQmile
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreen776 View Post
Where did that come from?! No need to be rude, the guy is asking the right questions.
bgreen776, meet Wade.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #11
paulb

Name: paulb
Member`s Gallery
How much is tolerated depends on the series you are racing in. If it's local NHRA bracket racing, then it's dependent on the track. If you are racing at NHRA Lucas oil divisional races then there is very little tolerance. Remember to, that it's not just the NHRA tech inspectors, it can also be other racers that file a complaint. And yes at divisional events I have been checked for antifreeze, engine diaper, after market axles, flex plate, etc.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:38 AM   #12
97rada

Name: 97rada
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
How much is tolerated depends on the series you are racing in. If it's local NHRA bracket racing, then it's dependent on the track. If you are racing at NHRA Lucas oil divisional races then there is very little tolerance. Remember to, that it's not just the NHRA tech inspectors, it can also be other racers that file a complaint. And yes at divisional events I have been checked for antifreeze, engine diaper, after market axles, flex plate, etc.

How much diesel stuff is actually rated property ? Also at what speed/E.T do these rules start getting strict?

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and alot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:45 AM   #13
DIESEL_POWER

Name: DIESEL_POWER
Title: NGM Diesel
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQmile View Post
bgreen776, meet Wade.
It was a response to you jason. You said it was a stupid rule, Reguarless it is truth.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:12 PM   #14
paulb

Name: paulb
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97rada View Post
How much diesel stuff is actually rated property ? Also at what speed/E.T do these rules start getting strict?
Properly rated stuff is available. Just costs money.

It not so much as what speed or E.T. , but what class. If you race at divisional or as John Robinson does at national events, there is very little tolerance.

The rules have reasons, some for safety, so for other reasons. I know the aftermarket axle rule doesn't seem to make much sense, but If you have ever had a axle come shooting across the track at you, it kinda changes your mind. That is why the full floating axle rule exists by the way. If the flange on the end of the axle breaks, there is nothing to keep the axle in the housing. It has nothing to do with loosing traction on one wheel.

I have no idea on the water relocation rule. You can email the division tech inspector though. If you explain the question, and back up your stance with fact, they can/will bring it up to the NHRA rules committee.

Paul

Old 02-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #15
coldsmoke

Member`s Gallery
i just see other peoples trucks doin stuff that is clearly stated not todo. not a grayish area but black and white clear as day. not ragging on the guys just curious how they get away with it . like the techs dont give a crap or iam missing something or a new set of rules

Old 02-02-2016, 01:05 AM   #16
bgreen776

Member`s Gallery
Racing was essentially founded by people breaking the "rules". Some choose not to, others... not so much.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #17
IdahoRob

Name: IdahoRob
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsmoke View Post
i just see other peoples trucks doin stuff that is clearly stated not todo. not a grayish area but black and white clear as day. not ragging on the guys just curious how they get away with it . like the techs dont give a crap or iam missing something or a new set of rules
Seems to be track to track. There are many tracks that don't care as well as some organizations.

Our local track is strict, even racing most every week here, and having the same tech person, they still look closely at the cars/trucks. As Paul pointed out at divisionals and nationals there are most always NHRA techs present and they usually don't cut anyone any slack.

I've not seen the radiator in the front rule enforced, that is a strange rule IMO. I'd speak with your local track tech or like Paul mentioned calling the divisional tech. I had a rules discussion that went up through the NHRA tech chain on the axle rule for our trucks and received an exception so it's worth a call.

"Max'd Out" SoCal Engine, Randy's Trans, DDP 9.36@154 MPH SS legal trim.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:50 AM   #18
VMAX

Name: VMAX
Member`s Gallery
Not following the aftermarket axle rule. Tons and tons of cars run built 9" rear ends with aftermarket axles (mosier ect). How are they racing?

Old 02-03-2016, 07:51 AM   #19
jasonc

Name: jasonc
Member`s Gallery
Aftermarket axles are required.

Old 02-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #20
bgreen776

Member`s Gallery
nhra water relocation

Aftermarket axle shafts are required per NHRA and IHRA rule books. I can't speak to the other organizations, but I do know that this is a rule that is very often overlooked, and because of that it deserves a second look by the rules committees to see if there should be a written exception. Requiring a 13 second 1 ton 4x4 to buy a full set of axles is the definition of ridiculous. Any authority overlooking certain rules invalidates all their rules and creates liability for themselves and the entity the rules were written for.

#racegreen

Last edited by bgreen776; 02-03-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Closed Thread