Advertisement
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Home Who's Online Today's Posts HP Calculator CompD Gift Shop Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together > Tech Area-Ford > Ford Tech > 6.0 Powerstroke
Register Members List Timeslips EFI Live Library Invite Your Friends FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

6.0 Powerstroke Discussion of the 03-06 6.0

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #21
Power Stroke

Name: Power Stroke
Title: I Love My Power Stroke!
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight2004 View Post
I may have come across those parts for next to nothing. Right now the turbo is built except for having the exhaust housing and tonight I pick up the 03 exhaust housing. Shooting for the weekend to have it on the truck.

Also I’m currently working on making a 04 exhaust housing work with a 03 wheel. It is more involved than I thought. Those pins don't just fall out. I'm contemplating having them edm'ed out or just machining them out. Not sure yet.
i was saying a gt40 turbine housing wont fit. you can modify a late 04-07 turbine housing to work with an 03 turbine wheel.

where did you come across those parts? to buy them new is nearly impossible, atleast from my sources.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #22
midnight2004

Name: midnight2004
Title: Just about broke
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Stroke View Post
i was saying a gt40 turbine housing wont fit. you can modify a late 04-07 turbine housing to work with an 03 turbine wheel.
Yes you are correct the turbine housing won't work with the vgt. But the GT4088 compression housing wheel and backing plate will work, you just need to clearance the vgt frame slightly to allow the backing plate to bolt up flat.

Quote:
where did you come across those parts? to buy them new is nearly impossible, atleast from my sources.
I guess I just got lucky and was at the right place at the right time and asked a lot of questions (Thanks Jeff)

I got the turbo in the truck tonight and this thing runs awesome. Pulls hard and spools like none other. I forgot what it was to have a vgt again. Thinking about staying with this for a while.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26989_411499634383_515434383_5080517_984788_n.jpg (84.0 KB, 25 views)

Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 AM   #23
Power Stroke

Member`s Gallery
is your truck stock injectors? boost gain? drop in EGTs? performance difference?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #24
midnight2004

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
is your truck stock injectors? boost gain? drop in EGTs? performance difference?
Right now I'm running stock sticks.
As far a boost gain: yes, this morning it was running 10-15psi cruising at 75mph and WOT is 40+ psi

My S300 would do about 10psi cruising at 75mph and it was waste gated at 35psi WOT.

EGTs are pretty close. We'll see when I'm towing.

I did notice it has great spool up and whistles like a jet.
It’s been a while since I had a VGT so I have to get use to it. It’s a whole different driving experience.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:46 AM   #25
Power Stroke

Member`s Gallery
awesome, any way you could hook me up with those compressor parts?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:34 AM   #26
midnight2004

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
awesome, any way you could hook me up with those compressor parts?
Sorry man, like you said before those parts are hard to come by, unless you find somebody who is using them as a paper weight on their bench.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #27
HOTWHEELS#$

Name: HOTWHEELS#$
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Yes you are correct the turbine housing won't work with the vgt. But the GT4088 compression housing wheel and backing plate will work, you just need to clearance the vgt frame slightly to allow the backing plate to bolt up flat.

I guess I just got lucky and was at the right place at the right time and asked a lot of questions (Thanks Jeff)

I got the turbo in the truck tonight and this thing runs awesome. Pulls hard and spools like none other. I forgot what it was to have a vgt again. Thinking about staying with this for a while.
Is that an Elite VGT-SS compressor housing in the picture? What size compressor wheel did you put in your turbo?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #28
Power Stroke

Member`s Gallery
yes he is using the same compressor parts a VGTSS uses, essentially a garrett gt4088 compressor housing, compressor wheel and compressor housing backing plate, however when elite builds a VGTSS they use a different and larger turbine wheel and new shaft as well as modify the turbine housing. his setup will flow as much air as a VGTSS but have higher drive pressure.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #29
midnight2004

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTWHEELS#$ View Post
Is that an Elite VGT-SS compressor housing in the picture? What size compressor wheel did you put in your turbo?
I'm using a 64.7mm inducer 88.0mm exducer.

Quote:
yes he is using the same compressor parts a VGTSS uses, essentially a garrett gt4088 compressor housing, compressor wheel and compressor housing backing plate, however when elite builds a VGTSS they use a different and larger turbine wheel and new shaft as well as modify the turbine housing. his setup will flow as much air as a VGTSS but have higher drive pressure.
Is this fact or just what elite says?
I would like to see the comparison.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM   #30
Power Stroke

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
I'm using a 64.7mm inducer 88.0mm exducer.

Is this fact or just what elite says?
I would like to see the comparison.
the specs for all their modified VGTs are on their website.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:51 AM   #31
midnight2004

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
the specs for all their modified VGTs are on their website.
This charger is based on the factory design Variable Geometry Turbocharger. Airflow output is increased by installation of a larger compressor wheel as well as the matching compressor housing. The turbine wheel is changed to a larger Inconel 10-blade wheel. Modifications are also performed to the turbine side to improve upon the reliability of the variable vanes. Provides more intake/exhaust airflow than any of the factory 6.0L turbochargers. Known to produce a noticeable exhaust whistle on most trucks. This turbo is a good combination for Stage 1 or Stage 2 injectors. Dyno results over 520+ rear wheel horsepower have been recorded with proper fueling. Our Custom Tuning and Torque Converter will improve this turbo's spool-up time. This turbo comes with a new VGT solenoid. Designed for up to 45 psi of boost pressure. Includes manufacturer's Limited Warranty period of 6 months. Please note: This turbo has been used successfully with nitrous to produce high horsepower numbers this type of power is far past the units designed limits and can cut short the life of the turbo by over-speeding it. To help reduce this overspeeding take a look at our wastegated up-pipe.

Compressor Wheel Specs: Inducer 64.7mm/Exducer 88mm

Nowhere does it state that they use a different shaft or modify the exhaust housing except improvement of the vanes, which probably means the unison ring. Doing any kind of exhaust housing modification would involve removal of the pins, which are cast into the housing and are next to impossible to remove without destroying them. I’m not saying it can’t be done (I’m working on it now) but it’s a lot more involved than I ever thought.

It does state they use a larger 10 blade turbine wheel, which my turbo has. I have 3 powerstroke vgt turbos, all of which have different exhaust housings and wheels. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is another combination out there. Ford changed a lot of parts through out the years to make these 6.0 more reliable.

I know from experience that Garrett does not sell parts for these turbos and getting used parts is hard to come by. Unless they are getting custom 1 off parts, which would cost me more that I’m willing to spend..

I would be willing to bet there are no differences.
If somebody has the drive pressure of a vgtss I would like to compare.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:12 AM   #32
Vizsla

Name: Vizsla
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
This charger is based on the factory design Variable Geometry Turbocharger. Airflow output is increased by installation of a larger compressor wheel as well as the matching compressor housing. The turbine wheel is changed to a larger Inconel 10-blade wheel. Modifications are also performed to the turbine side to improve upon the reliability of the variable vanes. Provides more intake/exhaust airflow than any of the factory 6.0L turbochargers. Known to produce a noticeable exhaust whistle on most trucks. This turbo is a good combination for Stage 1 or Stage 2 injectors. Dyno results over 520+ rear wheel horsepower have been recorded with proper fueling. Our Custom Tuning and Torque Converter will improve this turbo's spool-up time. This turbo comes with a new VGT solenoid. Designed for up to 45 psi of boost pressure. Includes manufacturer's Limited Warranty period of 6 months. Please note: This turbo has been used successfully with nitrous to produce high horsepower numbers this type of power is far past the units designed limits and can cut short the life of the turbo by over-speeding it. To help reduce this overspeeding take a look at our wastegated up-pipe.

Compressor Wheel Specs: Inducer 64.7mm/Exducer 88mm

Nowhere does it state that they use a different shaft or modify the exhaust housing except improvement of the vanes, which probably means the unison ring. Doing any kind of exhaust housing modification would involve removal of the pins, which are cast into the housing and are next to impossible to remove without destroying them. I’m not saying it can’t be done (I’m working on it now) but it’s a lot more involved than I ever thought.

It does state they use a larger 10 blade turbine wheel, which my turbo has. I have 3 powerstroke vgt turbos, all of which have different exhaust housings and wheels. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is another combination out there. Ford changed a lot of parts through out the years to make these 6.0 more reliable.

I know from experience that Garrett does not sell parts for these turbos and getting used parts is hard to come by. Unless they are getting custom 1 off parts, which would cost me more that I’m willing to spend..

I would be willing to bet there are no differences.
If somebody has the drive pressure of a vgtss I would like to compare.
No need to compare, you built yourself an SS. The compressor housing you used makes a big difference, 3 years ago I ran a 4088 wheel with a machined stock housing and did not care for it. Had surge problems.
2006 F-250 E.C.S.B. 4x4, ARP studs, egr delete, Accufab elbow, Banks intake, MBRP turbo back, SCT X-2 with Erics tunes, Elite stage 2's, VGT-SSX, Air Dog 150, Superlift traction bars, Superlift 4" off-road lift, Bilstiens, Woody rear driveshaft, and some gauges.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #33
midnight2004

Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizsla View Post
No need to compare, you built yourself an SS. The compressor housing you used makes a big difference, 3 years ago I ran a 4088 wheel with a machined stock housing and did not care for it. Had surge problems.
So far I'm really happy with it. The truck runs great and spins my 35"s though an intersection like nothing.
I did notice at 40 lbs of boost, my boost gauge started to flutter, not sure if it’s the turbo or a leak somewhere.

In a couple weeks we're going up north so I’ll see how it is when towing.

Man does she ever sing

Last edited by midnight2004; 04-18-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #34
HOTWHEELS#$

Name: HOTWHEELS#$
Title: Rookie
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizsla View Post
That sounds like the turbo that I have and am about to install. It has the larger compressor wheel in it, but has a stock housing on it. Also has a River city turbo part number on it. Are they a good turbo builder? How bad was the turbo surge? If I was to switch to a compressor housing like the SS what differences would I notice, because I can get a housing from a blown VGT-ss turbo.

Last edited by HOTWHEELS#$; 04-18-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #35
Flowmeister

Name: Flowmeister
Title: allow room for expansion
Member`s Gallery
Garrett recently came out with an upgraded 6.0 turbo. It's on their website www.turbobygarrett.com on the kit page. It has a bigger comp wheel inducer and exducer, a bigger turbine exducer, and altered vanes for more flow. I hear it likes to be used with a certain SCT program. Identical to stock on the outside too.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #36
Flowmeister

Name: Flowmeister
Title: allow room for expansion
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmeister View Post
Garrett recently came out with an upgraded 6.0 turbo. It's on their website www.turbobygarrett.com on the kit page. It has a bigger comp wheel inducer and exducer, a bigger turbine exducer, and altered vanes for more flow. I hear it likes to be used with a certain SCT program. Identical to stock on the outside too.
A friend asked for details so here they are:

Stock vs. Garrett's PowerMax

Comp wheel inducer 56.8 / 63.5
Comp wheel exducer 81.6 / 88
Turbine wheel inducer 72.5 / 72.5
Turbine wheel exducer 64 / 66.5
Turbine housing A/R .90 both
Vanes altered for higher flow

Old 08-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #37
yoyoyoyo!

Name: yoyoyoyo!
Title: Diesel Enthusiast
Member`s Gallery
to add to this last comment, the Garrett upgrade comes with the 03 turbine wheel.

Closed Thread