SKIM module and ECM reflash or replacement

RR88

Hey it’s my first post. Thank all y’all for all the useful information. I’m looking at buying a 3rd gen (2006 3500 4x4 6 speed). The guy selling the truck is saying that it needs the SKIM module reprogrammed and the ECM reflashed with the correct vin number. Has anyone had this done or ever experience this problem. It seems like a good deal but I’m skeptical so I wanted to do some research.

Thanks.

Seems odd. What's the history on the truck? If just the ECM died, the ECM would need to be flashed with the correct VIN for the SKIM to recognize it. If both the SKIM and ECM died at once, I would have suspected more CAN modules would have been damaged.

Yeah I’ve done it myself and flashed it with EFILive flashscan V2 and now I can go into my DTCs and disable anything I want now plus do a lot more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case you didn't know, you can change the VIN with EFILive, without burning a licence to do it.
If you did know, you're ahead of the curve. :)

Mark.

Yes sir I did figure that one out but thanks anyway, hey have you tried reading any box tunes with your EFILive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read some out, back when I was acquiring ~5 ecms a week and needed to be sure I wasn't peddling dead junk.

After they are read, they'll usually present with bad or disabled checksums.
It's been said trying to modify one of those files can end up bricking the ECM, but I don't tune, so I haven't had that unfortunate experience.

It's best to just start with a clean OEM base file and reflash those ecms with that file.

Mark.

Back